User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Last edited by Shinzon; 01-30-2008 at 11:33 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I do it all the time. Sometimes to the point that I forget I haven't talked to the actual person and, especially in cases of emails, etc, forget that I still owe them a reply.
    Mmhhmmm.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Counter-example, although my Ni is close in score to my secondary Ne.

I have running debates in my head, but the other voice is usually still just "me" talking or challenging the primary "me."

Usually I have this conversation because I'm anxious about a real conversation I have to have (so I'm trying to anticipate the potential responses), or I am just working through a problem.

I do not really "personalize" the other voice as someone separate from me, even if that voice is representing a real person.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I do this, I thought it was just part of life to have conversations in your head, and assumed everyone else did as well.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzon View Post
    Very well might be. Anyone else with Ni want to weigh in?
    Inner monologue? Check. It likes to compete with actual conversation I'm having.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I do this, I thought it was just part of life to have conversations in your head, and assumed everyone else did as well.
    Uh-oh, just wait for proteanmix to find this thread.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post

Uh-oh, just wait for proteanmix to find this thread.
    I saw it, I was just resisting the urge. I didn't want anyone to hand me one of these

I don't know which behaviors are attributed to type and which behaviors are universally human. Maybe that comes across as me seeming to believe that type is meaningless, but I don't think that.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I don't know which behaviors are attributed to type and which behaviors are universally human. Maybe that comes across as me seeming to believe that type is meaningless, but I don't think that.
    Mmm hmm. And this is why we would do better with a question like this by asking (among other things) for non-Ni people to validate having the same experience(s) that is being presupposed by some to be "Ni" related.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I have my buddy stormy in my head. We have had debates about whether she's an individual that lives inside my head or just a twisted part of me that enjoys arguments. The issue has never been truly resolved... we ended off with she exists, the manner of her existence does not matter.

What you've mentioned about the internal vs external stream runs parallel to my experiences. I ramble to other people like I do when I'm alone. Except I tend to answer my self-posed questions when I'm alone as oppose to having other people answer my spontaneously generated ones. My inner voice/imaginary friend usually only introjects to point out inconsistencies or unusual links within my thought. Which isn't what an actual person would do... hmmm actually it's more like the roles are reversed. I become the other person and my inner voice becomes me. If that makes any sense to you...

Mmm hmm. And this is why we would do better with a question like this by asking (among other things) for non-Ni people to validate having the same experience(s) that is being presupposed by some to be "Ni" related.
    Hmm... I talk to people in my head... you talk to people in your head. Maybe it would be better to ask in what manner do you interact with them in your head...
    Last edited by nightning; 10-31-2007 at 01:59 PM. Reason: in response to other posts

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    Hmm... I talk to people in my head... you talk to people in your head. Maybe it would be better to ask in what manner do you interact with them in your head...
    lol... as in "Do I actually talk to people in my head, or do I merely critique their logic and grammar and have them yell at me?"

MBTI
    yupp

Well I'm thinking about dropping a class. I keep imagining different ways the conversation can go when I talk to the teacher about dropping it. Then also whenever I have to give a presentation I imagine what I'm going to say and people's reponses, which makes me more nervous. I need to quit that. Is that what you mean? Or whenever I'm thinking about talking to someone that I don't know real well I'll have a conversation in my head. Then I don't get scared that they aren't going to say what's scripted in my head so, if I do say something I end up blushing and backing away.