User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Maybe I'm just a dysfunctional J. I don't generally ever get things done ahead of time and in fact have honed my improvisational skills a little better than they ought to have become. I think it has to do with wanting so badly though to do a decent job that I can't bear to start on it lest it is a less than decent job. That's why I don't write people very often...and I hate doing papers...and the book I've started still isn't done...Sometimes it's just a fear of knowing for sure that I don't have the things it will require to actually do what needs to be done by when it needs to be done, so if I don't find out, maybe it actually won't be a problem.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Maybe I'm just a dysfunctional J. I don't generally ever get things done ahead of time and in fact have honed my improvisational skills a little better than they ought to have become. I think it has to do with wanting so badly though to do a decent job that I can't bear to start on it lest it is a less than decent job. That's why I don't write people very often...and I hate doing papers...and the book I've started still isn't done...Sometimes it's just a fear of knowing for sure that I don't have the things it will require to actually do what needs to be done by when it needs to be done, so if I don't find out, maybe it actually won't be a problem.
    I think this describes a couple of my INFJ friends, actually, so I wouldn't call you a dysfunctional J. One of my friends ends up feeling guilty about the procrastination/lack of energy when it comes to writing and keeping in touch, as she wants to be able to devote herself 100% to the task and she rarely feels mentally in that 'spot' to be able to do so, such that she further delays because she feels bad/embarrassed about the fact that she's taking so long! My other friend procrastinated on finishing her med school application, turning it in on the very last day, because she was having trouble getting the wording on her essay just right, and was questioning all of it right up til the last minute.

Anyway, for myself I can't relate to this element so much, but just wanted you to know you're not the only INFJ like this!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Thanks so far for the replies

I just recalled what Caesar allegedly told the man who handed him a note that said he would be assassinated the following day: "I'll read it tomorrow."
    The next day, Caesar was indeed stabbed to death - with stylusses. Mental notes I took:
    A: Procrastination can be deadly on many levels. B: Buy stylus sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    This is "strong" N. It seems to me that strong N can do that, compel a person to consistently try to find IDEAL solutions (whether objective or not) in lieu of EXTERNAL (e.g. those of your syllabus describing the paper) standards.
    Force yourself to sit down and work on them for at least an hour. Do this several times per day until you are making progress, keep at it until you are caught up.
    Sound advice, I've actually been doing this for some time, but then - well, I stopped Just writing away almost always produces at least some useful results, even if I'm just filling out the pages with my current reflections. They can always be condensed afterwards, plus if I think to myself "Come on, it's only some minor stuff, ", it takes off a lot of the pressure to be brilliant out of the blue. That's why I found it much easier to write on paper than on my computer. And it makes you feel good if you see that you've actually done something.

To be blunt: Get off you ass and do your work!
    Most of the profs around here are viciously lenient when it comes do deadlines. You can talk most of them into giving you more time (and they're not really doing me a favor).

That's part of the problem, you are good at it, and you know it, and therefore you are subvconsciously OK with procerastinating...
    It's true ... The bad thing about it is: When I get good marks, I feel like a fraud.

I hope mine was helpful, good luck!
    It was!

You have NO idea how much an issue this is for EXTPs. I have major ADHD, I know alot of ENTPs who state similar experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    That sounds like adult ADHD my friend.
    Interesting read, might get into this a little deeper (reading, not ADHD that is).

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Procrastinating also stems from my weird idea of what is efficient. I know that if I am not in the right frame of mind, it will take me longer to accomplish something and I'll probably not do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I know Js who procrastinate also. My ISFJ mom can put things off that need to be done for a long time. We seem to have different priorities, which makes us clash when it comes to our procrastinating. I think part of it is that she likes to plan and schedule everything (and until she can do that, she puts it off), and once I decide to do it, I do it NOW, with no need to plan ahead.
    Come to think of it, my parents are probably SJs as well (at least my mom exhibit certain traits). I guess I freak them out on a regular basis whenever I say, "Come on, it'll work out some way" and they say "But what if it won't?" Though at times it felt like clashing philosophies, I'm sometimes missing the parental boot in the butt that helped me getting things done.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    I keep meaning to post in this thread, but I keep putting it off until I can express myself perfectly. True story.
    Yah, took me a couple of hours as well to post this thread Want to know how to keep a dope in suspense? Tell ya tomorrow

Until then (<-!), happy postponing ...
    Really glad to see I'm not the only one

MBTI
    AHH!

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Everybody says they procrastinate, including J's. But J's do not know the true meaning of procrastination. Oh no.
    This is probably really true actually LOL. I mean most J's, if they're really procrastinating, will finish a paper the night before it's due, and finish around 12am or something, and consider that really last minute. But then P's will be the ones that are finishing it at 10:30am right before their 10:50am class, right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

I procrastinate on everything I'm not clear on how to do
    It's my Jness coming out but looking like Pness (some people think I'm a P because I do this).
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris