User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Procrastination can definitely be deadly. It seems to me to fall out of the fact that Fi and Ti are all about optimizing and critically evaluating in the moment. It's good for telling one that now isn't a good time. It's not so good for telling one when a good time will be, or even breaking things down into more manageable steps.

The flip side, from my perspective, is that a perceiver fully in the flow is hard to beat. So it's all about making the most of when the time is right, and figuring out how to limp along and line things up so the time will be right later.

And there are tricks I play on myself (I think I've posted this somewhere before) such as setting a ridiculously easy goal for myself to force myself to become interested when starting a project. Those first few starts are about as pleasant as pulling teeth, but once I'm sufficiently into something momentum is much less of an issue. Also having a deadline (and I hate deadlines) is helpful for reigning in the perfectionism. It shifts from "must be perfect" to "must be as good as it can in the time left."

Also, minor things (like bills) are best when dealt with instantly. Guilt is a great de-motivator, so not letting things build up enough to induce it is good.

I admit I haven't been so good with creative endeavors on my own, though. There are no external deadlines, no one is waiting impatiently for the output and perfectionism can kill the enjoyment pretty quickly.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I keep meaning to post in this thread, but I keep putting it off until I can express myself perfectly. True story.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think I can relate to a lot of the posts that I procrastinate because
    i) it's not something I like to do or care about (the nitty-gritty stuff)
    ii) I'm waiting until the last moment to make a decision because I don't like the choices available currently, and my idealistic side believes that something better will come along soon.

But another reason I think I wait until the last moment to do some things is that I don't want to give myself time after I make a decision to second guess myself. If I do something quickly like reply to an e-mail and send it off, I would spend the time after wondering (ok, worrying) if the tone or contents of my e-mail were 'correct'. So waiting until the last moment until I have no other choice is my way of being decisive....or something like that....

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kar View Post
    I procrastinate because I like it. When I'm procrastinating, a lot of people get angry with me and I like that thrill. Their anger is like a rollercoaster or a scary thriller to me. It gives me adrenaline. It wakes me up way better than coffee or Red Bull. It boosts my ego. How many do I have to say it? I just think I really really like it! It's an addiction! Woohoo! In short: I like procrastinating because it gives me attention and I'm an attention whore.
    You've just totally revolutionized a few of my relationships. Thank you!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Monkeygrass - would you say that procrastination is actually partly fueled by perfectionism?

MBTI
    ENFP

Everybody says they procrastinate, including J's. But J's do not know the true meaning of procrastination. Oh no.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Everybody says they procrastinate, including J's. But J's do not know the true meaning of procrastination. Oh no.
    WORD!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    "omg my work was only done two days ahead of time! I AM SUCH A SLACKER!!!"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Monkeygrass - would you say that procrastination is actually partly fueled by perfectionism?
    And a high level of frustration at having to work under less than ideal conditions. (In my case, getting anything done while trying to be the perfect sister/mom/friend/daughter/etc. If I know I won't do my *best*, or if I'll have to juggle and cry to get the job done to a level that satisfies my perfectionism, I just put it on the shelf until I can do it perfectly without the trauma that comes from extreme sensory overload. Eventually, when it gets down to the wire, I kick into adrenalin-fueled crisis mode and it's "super Te to the rescue!", and I turn into my shadow. Things get done, then, without as much pain. I'm getting better about that, though.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    "omg my work was only done two days ahead of time! I AM SUCH A SLACKER!!!"