• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs and procrastination

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Procrastination can definitely be deadly. It seems to me to fall out of the fact that Fi and Ti are all about optimizing and critically evaluating in the moment. It's good for telling one that now isn't a good time. It's not so good for telling one when a good time will be, or even breaking things down into more manageable steps.

The flip side, from my perspective, is that a perceiver fully in the flow is hard to beat. So it's all about making the most of when the time is right, and figuring out how to limp along and line things up so the time will be right later.

And there are tricks I play on myself (I think I've posted this somewhere before) such as setting a ridiculously easy goal for myself to force myself to become interested when starting a project. Those first few starts are about as pleasant as pulling teeth, but once I'm sufficiently into something momentum is much less of an issue. Also having a deadline (and I hate deadlines) is helpful for reigning in the perfectionism. It shifts from "must be perfect" to "must be as good as it can in the time left."

Also, minor things (like bills) are best when dealt with instantly. Guilt is a great de-motivator, so not letting things build up enough to induce it is good.

I admit I haven't been so good with creative endeavors on my own, though. There are no external deadlines, no one is waiting impatiently for the output and perfectionism can kill the enjoyment pretty quickly.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I keep meaning to post in this thread, but I keep putting it off until I can express myself perfectly. True story. :D

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think I can relate to a lot of the posts that I procrastinate because
i) it's not something I like to do or care about (the nitty-gritty stuff)
ii) I'm waiting until the last moment to make a decision because I don't like the choices available currently, and my idealistic side believes that something better will come along soon.

But another reason I think I wait until the last moment to do some things is that I don't want to give myself time after I make a decision to second guess myself. If I do something quickly like reply to an e-mail and send it off, I would spend the time after wondering (ok, worrying) if the tone or contents of my e-mail were 'correct'. So waiting until the last moment until I have no other choice is my way of being decisive....or something like that....

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I procrastinate because I like it. When I'm procrastinating, a lot of people get angry with me and I like that thrill. Their anger is like a rollercoaster or a scary thriller to me. It gives me adrenaline. It wakes me up way better than coffee or Red Bull. It boosts my ego. How many do I have to say it? I just think I really really like it! It's an addiction! Woohoo! In short: I like procrastinating because it gives me attention and I'm an attention whore.

:shock: You've just totally revolutionized a few of my relationships. Thank you! :hug:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Monkeygrass - would you say that procrastination is actually partly fueled by perfectionism?

bighairything

MBTI Type
ENFP
Everybody says they procrastinate, including J's. But J's do not know the true meaning of procrastination. Oh no.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Everybody says they procrastinate, including J's. But J's do not know the true meaning of procrastination. Oh no.

"omg my work was only done two days ahead of time! I AM SUCH A SLACKER!!!"

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Monkeygrass - would you say that procrastination is actually partly fueled by perfectionism?
:yes: And a high level of frustration at having to work under less than ideal conditions. (In my case, getting anything done while trying to be the perfect sister/mom/friend/daughter/etc. If I know I won't do my *best*, or if I'll have to juggle and cry to get the job done to a level that satisfies my perfectionism, I just put it on the shelf until I can do it perfectly without the trauma that comes from extreme sensory overload. Eventually, when it gets down to the wire, I kick into adrenalin-fueled crisis mode and it's "super Te to the rescue!", and I turn into my shadow. Things get done, then, without as much pain. I'm getting better about that, though.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Maybe I'm just a dysfunctional J. I don't generally ever get things done ahead of time and in fact have honed my improvisational skills a little better than they ought to have become. I think it has to do with wanting so badly though to do a decent job that I can't bear to start on it lest it is a less than decent job. That's why I don't write people very often...and I hate doing papers...and the book I've started still isn't done...Sometimes it's just a fear of knowing for sure that I don't have the things it will require to actually do what needs to be done by when it needs to be done, so if I don't find out, maybe it actually won't be a problem.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe I'm just a dysfunctional J. I don't generally ever get things done ahead of time and in fact have honed my improvisational skills a little better than they ought to have become. I think it has to do with wanting so badly though to do a decent job that I can't bear to start on it lest it is a less than decent job. That's why I don't write people very often...and I hate doing papers...and the book I've started still isn't done...Sometimes it's just a fear of knowing for sure that I don't have the things it will require to actually do what needs to be done by when it needs to be done, so if I don't find out, maybe it actually won't be a problem.

I think this describes a couple of my INFJ friends, actually, so I wouldn't call you a dysfunctional J. :) One of my friends ends up feeling guilty about the procrastination/lack of energy when it comes to writing and keeping in touch, as she wants to be able to devote herself 100% to the task and she rarely feels mentally in that 'spot' to be able to do so, such that she further delays because she feels bad/embarrassed about the fact that she's taking so long! My other friend procrastinated on finishing her med school application, turning it in on the very last day, because she was having trouble getting the wording on her essay just right, and was questioning all of it right up til the last minute.

Anyway, for myself I can't relate to this element so much, but just wanted you to know you're not the only INFJ like this!

Mad Hatter

Head Pigeon
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
-1w
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thanks so far for the replies :)

I just recalled what Caesar allegedly told the man who handed him a note that said he would be assassinated the following day: "I'll read it tomorrow."
The next day, Caesar was indeed stabbed to death - with stylusses. Mental notes I took:
A: Procrastination can be deadly on many levels. B: Buy stylus sharpener.

This is "strong" N. It seems to me that strong N can do that, compel a person to consistently try to find IDEAL solutions (whether objective or not) in lieu of EXTERNAL (e.g. those of your syllabus describing the paper) standards.

Force yourself to sit down and work on them for at least an hour. Do this several times per day until you are making progress, keep at it until you are caught up.

Sound advice, I've actually been doing this for some time, but then - well, I stopped :doh: Just writing away almost always produces at least some useful results, even if I'm just filling out the pages with my current reflections. They can always be condensed afterwards, plus if I think to myself "Come on, it's only some minor stuff, ", it takes off a lot of the pressure to be brilliant out of the blue. That's why I found it much easier to write on paper than on my computer. And it makes you feel good if you see that you've actually done something.

To be blunt: Get off you ass and do your work!
Most of the profs around here are viciously lenient when it comes do deadlines. You can talk most of them into giving you more time (and they're not really doing me a favor).

That's part of the problem, you are good at it, and you know it, and therefore you are subvconsciously OK with procerastinating...
It's true ... The bad thing about it is: When I get good marks, I feel like a fraud.

I hope mine was helpful, good luck!
It was!

You have NO idea how much an issue this is for EXTPs. I have major ADHD, I know alot of ENTPs who state similar experience.
That sounds like adult ADHD my friend.

Interesting read, might get into this a little deeper (reading, not ADHD that is).

Procrastinating also stems from my weird idea of what is efficient. I know that if I am not in the right frame of mind, it will take me longer to accomplish something and I'll probably not do it as well.

calvin-hobbes-creativity.png

I know Js who procrastinate also. My ISFJ mom can put things off that need to be done for a long time. We seem to have different priorities, which makes us clash when it comes to our procrastinating. I think part of it is that she likes to plan and schedule everything (and until she can do that, she puts it off), and once I decide to do it, I do it NOW, with no need to plan ahead.

Come to think of it, my parents are probably SJs as well (at least my mom exhibit certain traits). I guess I freak them out on a regular basis whenever I say, "Come on, it'll work out some way" and they say "But what if it won't?" Though at times it felt like clashing philosophies, I'm sometimes missing the parental boot in the butt that helped me getting things done.

I keep meaning to post in this thread, but I keep putting it off until I can express myself perfectly. True story. :D

Yah, took me a couple of hours as well to post this thread :) Want to know how to keep a dope in suspense? Tell ya tomorrow ;)

Until then (<-!), happy postponing ...
Really glad to see I'm not the only one :)

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!

This is probably really true actually LOL. I mean most J's, if they're really procrastinating, will finish a paper the night before it's due, and finish around 12am or something, and consider that really last minute. But then P's will be the ones that are finishing it at 10:30am right before their 10:50am class, right?

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
I procrastinate on everything I'm not clear on how to do:doh:
It's my Jness coming out but looking like Pness (some people think I'm a P because I do this).