• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFJ intensity...What are the differences between E and I?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I wonder what makes people intense. People have always accused me of being intense. And arrogant. It was more apparent in high school, so either people are more anxious about telling me OR it has petered out. Either way, I was/am shocked anytime someone says this statement to me because I think I'm the farthest thing from arrogant, and I don't really consider myself that intense.

Is there something I'm not seeing in my personality? What causes people to think I am intense??? Or is that just a euphemism for some other weakness I cannot see in myself?

S

Sniffles

I wouldn't call you arrogant, but I do sense a great deal of intensity in you LL.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But whyyyyy??? :blush:

(Yes, I was one of those annoying kids who asked 'why' every five seconds, but I mean it seriously).

S

Sniffles

But whyyyyy??? :blush:

(Yes, I was one of those annoying kids who asked 'why' every five seconds, but I mean it seriously).

I don't know how to explain it really, but often when talking to you I often get this sense of a huge tsunami is rushing towards me, and if I'm not really prepared I can easily feel overwhelmed. With you, your intensity is expressed rather overtly, wheras if you notice with me it's more introvertedly(makes sense, I'm I you're E).

Not saying this as a criticism, just my own observation. :) :hug:

qwertsquirt

MBTI Type
INFJ
As an I all I can say is I like relaxation and being alone and being with a lot of people for too long drains me. Also I can be shy around people I don't know.

V

violaine

I was just reading PinkPiranha's thread in the NF private forum "Frustrated ENFJ" and it really got me thinking. A lot of the posts were talking about NFJ's intensity. I had never really thought about my intensity in regards to other people until I read this, and found myself relating to a lot of what was being said. I don't see myself as intensely guarded. I am fairly quick to share how I feel with people so long as I feel a connection with them in some way. When I was younger I would say I was a definite NFJ, though I think I was on the border with E and I most of the time, if not a bit more E much of the time. As I have gotten older I am decidedly an I, though I can be very extroverted in certain situations... it mostly depends on my mood. If I'm happy and comfortable I will seem like an E, though when under stress or a melancholic/pensive mood (which has been my predominant mood for the past couple years), I withdraw and become quite introverted.

One thing I am sure of is my intensity in friendships and relationships. I think it really scares people sometimes. I quickly get to deep subjects and show my excitement easily. Those who know me well can tell what kind of mood I am just by being around me, and many times (especially in one on one situations) my mood can manifest and set an overall tone for the situation. I have also had many people comment on my animated demeanor when talking, and easy excitement. When I express an emotion I really express it. Is this typical of an introverted NFJ?

How does E or I make Ni and Fe manifest differently? I am almost entirely sure I am an Introvert...do other INFJs find themselves seemingly extroverted when they are in happy, comfortable situations? And NFJs in general...how do people react to your intensity? What do they say? I am not sure what types this attracts, but there is a definitely a certain kind of person it unnerves, and some just find it draining.

I've been told alternately that I seem extraverted or a snob depending on the social situation. I am very intense but I am also extremely private. I prefer and am intense in one-to-one conversations. Genuinely interested in people which makes me appear very warm but I can't keep up the effort and will go underground awhile after such interactions. I have noticed that people often reveal very personal things during first meetings because I am focused on them. Perhaps I just feel safe to talk to (and I am, I don't try to pry, I don't divulge things or make judgements about them in these situations.) But my interactions often feel very one-sided in that I don't often bond with people through sharing my very private thoughts. I do not like to feel exposed as it were. My walls are up with those who can't hold their own and are trying to attach themselves to me. I will help, I won't bond. I just can't stand when someone tries to overwhelm me with their full-throttle emotion unless it's joy. I don't like if someone has expectations that I will become their emotional caretaker. This is more of a development in adulthood though after close encounters with emotional vampires before I developed some armor.

When it comes to strong emotion, I prefer to sit back and watch rather than have it directed at me, so that I can observe without having to engage. I can't fully process if I am engaged. The ENFJs I know do not seem phased by strong emotion in the same way, if at all.

I have never particularly wanted to share all of my deeper feelings and impressions though they are very keenly felt. Translating them into words diminishes them ime and often isn't something I can do satisfactorily immediately anyway. It never even used to occur to me to talk about my impressions and ruminations when I was little as the primary enjoyment derived from turning things over within my own private little world replete with individualistic references.

My little niece presents as an ENFJ and I can see our similarities as kids. I was very adept at picking up on the motivations and morale of others as is she. She is much more action oriented and vocal in expressing her thoughts though. She will tell people what she thinks of them especially if they are doing something she deems wrong. Being heard seems especially important to her. Whereas I would notice and think it was interesting and tuck it all away for future reference. I have always had regard for the rights of the individual so I have usually withheld judgement and often given the benefit of the doubt quite a few times depending on the situation whereas I notice that it seems more about harmony and the rights of the majority and certain pre-determined standards with the ENFJs I know, even my little niece. It can make an ENFJ seem much more decisive than INFJ as they appear to apply a standard fairly consistenly while I may appear a little wishy-washy (though it def doesn't feel that way) while I deliberate and weigh things up from the ground up. Just something I have noticed.

My niece and I have a deep connection because of this shared interest in others' morale and automatic vision into others but I underground all of my intensity... akin to storing it all away in a reservoir and using it to push myself in other ways. Her energy goes outward and seems apportioned according to the issue and makes an impression on others. It also makes her seem highly-strung and intense and very reactive. I am very sensitive and averse to feeling like someone is pulling my strings and making me react according to their emotional agenda. My energy always turned inwards and turned into something else along the way, resolve, which ALWAYS came as a surprise to others because it didn't match the soft-eyed, self-contained, sensitive exterior.

I always had a goal I was working towards, very determined and very disciplined so I am intense in that sense as well. But unless someone went into direct opposition to me they would never see my stubbornness. No one ever got over the top of me about anything I cared about. I also often skip(ped) the talking-about-it step between thinking and action too, (unless I'm close to someone who draws me out about all of my schemes and plans). This could make me seem headstrong and aloof I suppose; I don't often consult others in my decision making process as a part of me finds it hard to be aware of the expectations of those I care about when they don't tally with my plans. The ENFJs I know are very headstrong too but it has a different quality... they seem less concerned with secrecy and shielding themselves than I.

Lightyear

I have always had regard for the rights of the individual so I have always usually withheld judgement and often given the benefit of the doubt quite a few times depending on the situation whereas I notice that it seems more about harmony and the rights of the majority and certain pre-determined standards with the ENFJs I know, even my little niece.

That reminds me of the whole concept that I is like a laserbeam focussed on one thing (in this case the individual) while E is focussed on a wide spectrum of things (in this case the majority of people). Just a thought I had.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
When it comes to strong emotion, I prefer to sit back and watch rather than have it directed at me, so that I can observe without having to engage. I can't fully process if I am engaged. The ENFJs I know do not seem phased by strong emotion in the same way, if at all.

They are crusaders of the heart. They love to rush into battle exulting with righteousness.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't know how to explain it really, but often when talking to you I often get this sense of a huge tsunami is rushing towards me, and if I'm not really prepared I can easily feel overwhelmed. With you, your intensity is expressed rather overtly, wheras if you notice with me it's more introvertedly(makes sense, I'm I you're E).

Not saying this as a criticism, just my own observation. :) :hug:

Wow, this is an interesting observation. I wonder what makes me a tsunami...It would be good to know so that I could curb it a bit in the right circumstances.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFs in general are extremely intense about their inner world. we have a sort of internal "fire" that fuels our actions and if you get too close, you will get burned, no, incinerated. this only increases with age. most NFs seem to get picked on during childhood and start out small and frail mentally. eventually though, most of us get to a point where we say "fuck you. do your worst, I'm not afraid" and decide that we're going to do what we believe is right. no matter the consequences. once this decision is made, we become tough as nails and internally strong to the core. this type of intensity is seldom found in other types.
SPs also tend to be intense, but more in a physically then (like jumping off a 50 ft high waterfall, drag raising, or riding all the most extreme roller coasters)
Js in general can develop extremely intense discipline and focus.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
One thing I am sure of is my intensity in friendships and relationships. I think it really scares people sometimes. I quickly get to deep subjects and show my excitement easily. Those who know me well can tell what kind of mood I am just by being around me, and many times (especially in one on one situations) my mood can manifest and set an overall tone for the situation. I have also had many people comment on my animated demeanor when talking, and easy excitement. When I express an emotion I really express it. Is this typical of an introverted NFJ?

Me too. I also get deep right away, and for me, this is just showing honesty and respect to the person I'm talking to. I'm not shallow, so I won't go small talk with you and make you waste your time. But it does make them feel uneasy, I think. I've had someone who barely knows me throw the "you're an intense gal" at me the other day. But I'm very introverted on all tests (80-90% Introversion, like). I am quiet, but some people can read my emotions in silence, which annoys me a bit. :shock:

It annoys me because I am working so hard at keeping the lid over my emotions (Enneagram Type 1) that if people perceive them still and go : "You're intense!" I'm like inside, "This is so mean, after all those efforts to contain it!"

But I think I've been able to observe this phenomenon in another INFJ once. That was many years ago at the Montreal Celtic Festival. INFJ Gaelic activist Mary Jane Lamond was about to give a workshop in a little tent, and it was quite intimate, a bit like a classroom. I walked in, along with about five other people to attend. It was early and few people had arrived yet. Ms Lamond was standing in the front, quietly. She wasn't saying anything, wasn't staring at us, nothing. She was just standing there. Well, her presence was so intense and impressive for some uncanny reason that we all headed straight to the back and sat in the last row, very intimidated. When she saw this, she started staring and came closer saying: "There's a lot of noise outisde and if you sit way back there, I'm afraid you won't hear much. But if you feel comfortable there, that's ok." We suddenly felt better, and I walked to the third row, quite near the front and I think others did the same. How strange.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Being heard seems especially important to her.

Her energy goes outward and seems apportioned according to the issue and makes an impression on others. It also makes her seem highly-strung and intense and very reactive.

The ENFJs I know are very headstrong too but it has a different quality... they seem less concerned with secrecy and shielding themselves than I.
Yup... this is totally me. I've been told I'm high strung, and an Type A personality because I'm so driven and focused. If I am late for something and rushing to get something done, everyone just steps out of my way because I'm moving so fast and focused solely on getting it done. lol!

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I wonder what makes people intense

Sensitivity is found many intense people. People who experience the world with a greater awareness. Of course there are intense people who aren't the least bit sensitive, like some very driven people. I connect with the sensitive people, though. I have a quiet intensity that's picked up by some people. My expression is normally just a blank look in most social situations, except when I get excited and then I become very animated. My sister and I were talking about intensity in people a while ago. She was saying I don't suit being with other intense people, because it is just too much....total overkill, lol. I disagreed, I love being with intense people! They are the ones I normally connect with best.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Oh, absolutely. Like you, I spent most of my childhood balanced between E/I, but became more of an introvert when I got older. If I'm with a comfortable group, I can be with them hours and hours and hours and feel no need to recharge. It's only with a group I don't know very well or a group I don't feel I'll ever really be close to that I feel the need to withdraw. I doubt I could go a full day being completely without people.

Maybe our Fe is as high as our Ni? I have no idea.

I very much identify with this. I usually come out with pretty high Fe on the tests, so maybe that is a factor.

While I find it difficult to be around people that never give you any mental breaks for 30 seconds without being called on to respond, I don't find generally that I need a ton of recharging time except in the situations mentioned above. Interesting to find out there are other INFJs saying this. I wonder what commonalities we have that make it this way, compared to many other INFJs who need more recharging time.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ With people I connect well with, or groups I'm comfortable with, the amount of recharging time I need can be almost negligible. I wrote a while ago about my going on a vacation once with 2 of my friends, and how I was pretty much around them 24/7 for ten days in a row, without any real official need for intense alone time...and it wasn't an issue at all. Same with family. A non-issue.

I think the big factor in why in the grand scheme of things (in general everyday life) I need a fair amount of alone time and would be considered a big introvert, is the simple fact that I DON'T have super close connections with individuals or groups that often, and people I actually desire to get close to can be few and far between; the majority of people I interact with on a daily basis are more taxing on me, thus I need more recharging than many might.

Edit: Just thinking a bit more...another factor is that with these close connections, I feel less of the need to be 'on'..I feel I can be more truly myself, I'm not busy filtering or self-monitoring (the trust/commonality is there), and also there's the aspect of being with someone, in the same space, without necessarily speaking. Which can become alone time, in a way, even though you're in close company with others.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm finding it interesting with teaching. I'm not aware of a conscious need to recharge all the time, but I do find myself incredibly tired during the school year without any particularly good reason for being so. The only thing I can think of is that balancing a lot of different types of people and a lot of interactions with them throughout the day takes more out of me than I may actively register. I have found though that with more emotional supports in my everyday life this year, I am less tired than I have been at times in the past. I don't know if there is a connection or not, but I assume there must be.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My INFJ father and I share so many traits in common it can be difficult to sort them out. It becomes even more of a blurred line between textbook E and I because my E/I axis is so close together as to be troublesome. I test as a 4 sometimes (INFJ) and many other times as a 2 (ENFJ), and believe that I'm guided by Fe more than half the time. My Ni is incredibly strong and jockeys for control almost constantly (which can be unsettling).

My Fe isn't "blunted" by any shielding function, but it isn't so clear to me all the time because I seem to switch from ENFJ to INFJ mode, where my Fe *does* become blunted and shielded.

Both my father and I relieve stress by engaging in activities (Se, no doubt), but he does seem to lean more heavily on his Ti than I do. I'm much more forward about speaking to strangers (dad is shy about that), but I do have overpowering shyness like he does, and spent the majority of my growing years withdrawn and explosive and distrusting of my environment. Negative experiences marred me deeply and I relied on my ENFP twin for social bravery.

Even into my teens, I would change my clothes INSIDE the closet because I didn't want anyone looking at me. Not even my female friends. I was unsure of myself and didn't understand what people wanted from me (or if I could even be that person they expected). I clung to what felt safe to me, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into puberty, and then into young adulthood.

I'm bookish like my dad. I "shut down" like he does when overloaded. I have his volatile temper. I go on Ni rambles like him and share some of his obliviousness (which my Ne-dom sister finds hilarious). He's more analytical than me in a way that I admire and am not as good at, and I seem to be able to charm or warm people up in a manner that my father finds mystifying and interesting.

I had an INFJ friend over a few days ago and his levels of intensity not only match mine but maybe even surpass it.

Lauren

MBTI Type
INFP
^ With people I connect well with, or groups I'm comfortable with, the amount of recharging time I need can be almost negligible. I wrote a while ago about my going on a vacation once with 2 of my friends, and how I was pretty much around them 24/7 for ten days in a row, without any real official need for intense alone time...and it wasn't an issue at all. Same with family. A non-issue.

I think the big factor in why in the grand scheme of things (in general everyday life) I need a fair amount of alone time and would be considered a big introvert, is the simple fact that I DON'T have super close connections with individuals or groups that often, and people I actually desire to get close to can be few and far between; the majority of people I interact with on a daily basis are more taxing on me, thus I need more recharging than many might.

Edit: Just thinking a bit more...another factor is that with these close connections, I feel less of the need to be 'on'..I feel I can be more truly myself, I'm not busy filtering or self-monitoring (the trust/commonality is there), and also there's the aspect of being with someone, in the same space, without necessarily speaking. Which can become alone time, in a way, even though you're in close company with others.

I find all of this pretty true for me, especially the last thought. I experience alone time with people I'm close to because being with them is not taxing or draining at all. I can slip out of being "on" and they don't notice or care. Then, I'll come back and talk as if I've never been away, and then become quiet again. My good friends will tell me that they can see when I've become completely drained--I'm there but the shades are drawn. It's soon after that I have to stop all interaction and go away to recharge.

Someone mentioned here that being with people who expect a response every 30 seconds with no down time is taxing. Same for me, if it's non-stop. I can talk a blue streak in a one on one conversation with someone I love for a period of time...for a long time actually. But if it's someone I don't know, I get very impatient with expectations that I have to talk constantly.

Also, with someone I'm very attracted to and feel a great compatibility with I can become so over-stimulated that I forget to have an exchange with them. I usually love to ask questions or be attentive to what someone is saying, but in this situation, I sometimes pour out my feelings and forget to ask them about themselves and how they are doing, what they are thinking, etc.