User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default INFPs And Intelligence

I've read several articles that say that INFP's are intelligent types. Which almost seems contradicting seeing as how we deal mostly with our feelings, but not so much when you really delve deep into it. Feelings can lead to thought and they can also be analyzed and broken down themselves, plus I wouldn't be surprised if many INFP's intense feelings on subjects stems from their thinking on them, or vice versa.

The main point of this thread is that there's a Facebook INFP group who posted a thread about IQ, based off of most the members post there their IQ's seemed to average around 130 so the question was brought up whether INFP's seem to gravitate towards having above average IQs.

I don't know the exact number of my IQ but I was always labeled "smart" in High School even though I didn't take primary school seriously and prefered to be a class clown. I can also retain a large amount of information and analyze abstract concepts and possess an extremely high Verbal IQ as I was considered capable of reading on a College level in 8th grade.

So do INFPs really average around having a bit of a higher Intelligence Quotient than other types?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think the way INFPs see the world needs a lot of processing. Maybe that's it. My IQ is usually somewhere between 130 and 140, if I test it with English IQ tests (english is not my language so it might be a bit higher than that in reality). I would assume, though, that almost all intuitive introverts get high IQs due to the nature of the test.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I think I.Q. is a load of dung. If someone has a high IQ but fails in every way that matters, then how much were those test results worth? The history of the test itself (not to mention alternate methods of ranking human beings) disturbs me too.

The pool of intelligent, innovative, insightful people consists of any type we can name, though they vary in their focus.

Speaking of my favorite INFPs, I have noticed a perfectionist streak that can lead to spectacular results in their work. It seems difficult to be one, but their contribution to the world seems a fair exchange.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP

I agree that IQ testing is a flawed system. A person could be a genius in American society but also be considered stupid amongst a tribal people because he doesn't know how to build a straw hut or something.

One could also be extremely intelligent in all fields except for one because of a learning disability, so despite having a high IQ this wouldn't show up in test results because of their disability.

But I'd also like to point out that IQ and success actually have no correlation, the supposedly smartest man in the world works as a Bouncer.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Swordz View Post
    But I'd also like to point out that IQ and success actually have no correlation, the supposedly smartest man in the world works as a Bouncer.
    That might be a smart move from him. There was this really smart kid on our class when I was in high school. Everyone thought he would be a scientist or something. He left to become a regular electrician. The point is, who determines the "success", is it you or is it the others? You could be a success even if you drive the carbage truck, if that is what you want.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

INFPs aren't any smarter than any other type. Maybe they tend to be more curious and creative though, which makes them look smarter.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    INFPs aren't any smarter than any other type. Maybe they tend to be more curious and creative though, which makes them look smarter.
    I think I disgree. There are statistical studies like the one referred to here: Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

I think it's more accurate to say that I.Q. tests measure a very specific, very narrow band of intelligence. I.Q. clearly tests measure something (which has been proven time and time again) and you can read up about what it's been shown to be correlated with on the wikipedia page on I.Q. I like the quote from the wikipedia page: "in economic terms it appears that the IQ score measures something with decreasing marginal value. It is important to have enough of it, but having lots and lots does not buy you that much."

Since the early 1900s (with the first Stanford Binet test was developed) we have come to the understanding that there are other forms of intelligence (musical, kinesthetic, emotional, etc), and that some of those have an equal or greater effect on quality of life.

It makes sense that aspects of the MBTI would be correlated with I.Q. but you can't say that proves that a person (or a type) is practically smarter, wiser and more successful.

Personally, I tend to subjectively feel that NTs, especially INTXs, are generally smarter than I am (although I'm sure I sometimes feel that way about other types, too). My INTP older brother's Christmas wish-list looks a professor's (scholarly works in religion, history and psychology, books in Greek and German) while mine still resembles that of a 15 year-old (computer/console games, Joss Whedon series DVDs, fantasy novels, etc.). It's embarrassing!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

yeah but the gifts he wants are boring, and yours are awesome. So who really is the smarter one?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Perhaps, perhaps not. I know my IQ is between 130-140 from the IQ tests I have taken.
    <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

How I loathe the IQ test.