User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: INFP Emotions

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default INFP Emotions

I'm curious to know how other INFPs feel things. Our emotions are always stereotyped a certain way, and I want to see how this is transposed to reality.

For me personally, my emotions are very self-contained. I'm not prone to reacting impulsively; if I react strongly, then it's probably because the emotion has been building up for a long time. For the most part, I can keep my emotions under control on the outside. For example: if I'm angry, I won't start yelling at the person; I'll probably just let the emotion fester inside. My emotions are more freely expressed when I'm around someone that I know very well.

I wouldn't describe my emotions as passionate or intense; sensitive and empathetic describe them better. My emotions are more affected [I take on the emotions of those around me] rather than affecting [changing the moods of those around me], unless I make a conscious effort to do otherwise. Most people are completely unaware of what is going on inside of me and are surprised to find out that I DO have a soul afterall.

I assume that this is the definition of Fi. XD I was just curious to know how everything applies to the INFP specifically.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Just so I understand correctly so I can respond effectively: are you asking how we experience our feelings, or how we communicate our feelings to others? I see these as two separate discussions, which I think you're already hinted at in your OP.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur View Post
    For me personally, my emotions are very self-contained. I'm not prone to reacting impulsively; if I react strongly, then it's probably because the emotion has been building up for a long time. For the most part, I can keep my emotions under control on the outside. For example: if I'm angry, I won't start yelling at the person; I'll probably just let the emotion fester inside. My emotions are more freely expressed when I'm around someone that I know very well.
    Hmm, well, I've been trying to be more spontaneous during the recent years. I think that the whole emotion bottling thing is not how it should be, not even with us...

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur View Post
    My emotions are more affected [I take on the emotions of those around me] rather than affecting [changing the moods of those around me], unless I make a conscious effort to do otherwise.
    You know, I always believed in creating a nice atmosphere with your own mood, and I never really got any proof of that, until I left from my little commune. Soon there started to be some annoyances that never were big deal before and so on. Some of them told me that it was me who made the place so laid back. And I didn't consciously do anything. It wasn't like I decorated the place to make the vibes change or nothing like this. I didn't even try to talk with people, I just made myself available for a chat. But I guess it worked just the way I thought it would. So, my point is, you are probably affecting in a subtle way, people just won't notice it until you are gone.

MBTI
    INFP

Fi - feelings internal. For me they are so inwardly oriented that they are hard for me to quantify to myself, never mind to anyone else. It helps to use my auxiliary Ne to gain access - heavy use of metaphor is necessary.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

I wonder what heavy use of metaphor looks like...
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yes, very true for me...although I often feel passionate and intense, but less so as a reaction to external elements. My own ideas/beliefs make me feel passionate and intense. This is in-line with being an introvert though - I'm much more responsive to my internal thoughts than anything external.

Even when I empathize with someone, I feel rather detached from them. I've mentioned in other posts how I feel more mentally stimulated in such circumstances, like solving a puzzle or reading something interesting, not emotionally affected. I think this calmness is part of what does make us good "healers". But that's also why all the fuzzy bunny nonsense about INFPs is just that - nonsense.

INFP profiles do mention that INFPs seem quite stoic externally, but care deeply internally. People seem to miss the idea that it's not shown, unless you are very close to someone. Jung's description of Fi-dom says that Fi is much, much more likely to display negative emotion also, and that we generally come off as indifferent to strangers. I hate to say it, but it's true for me. Even among close family, my anger will be more apparent than my happy feelings.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Even when I empathize with someone, I feel rather detached from them. I've mentioned in other posts how I feel more mentally stimulated in such circumstances, like solving a puzzle or reading something interesting, not emotionally affected. I think this calmness is part of what does make us good "healers". But that's also why all the fuzzy bunny nonsense about INFPs is just that - nonsense.
    I'm a fuzzy bunny! :steam:

No, but really, I am not calm if I really feel your feeling.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I don't know whether I feel more intensely than other people (probably so), but most of all I like to observe my own feelings. To me there's nothing worse than boredom; I really need the stimulation.
    About ten months ago, I fell in love head over heels, like I always do. And it didn't work out, like it always does (got the mitten). - I was very depressed for some months, but even that was really interesting to me. It probably sounds very weird to most people, but that had happened before, and this time I consciously decided to "sit down and watch my feelings", if you will.
    Maybe it's really an INFP thing, but to me it's just another part of my curiosity.
    Last edited by Mad Hatter; 11-05-2009 at 07:59 PM. Reason: HORRIBLE typo ...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    Just so I understand correctly so I can respond effectively: are you asking how we experience our feelings, or how we communicate our feelings to others? I see these as two separate discussions, which I think you're already hinted at in your OP.
    How it's experienced, but the other topic is fine. XD I do things broadly.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I'm a fuzzy bunny! :steam:

No, but really, I am not calm if I really feel your feeling.
    I see it as if I'm backing out so I can experience the full brunt of the other person's emotion. I'm definitely calm when I'm giving people advice, because I look at it objectively. However, in everyday conversations, I still match the person's mood. If they're giddy and excited, I'll adjust.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I relate to almost everything in the OP. This is one area why I have an x at the end of my type. I do test high Fi as you can see in my sig.

I used to have more passion about creative ideas, but overall I'm more contained like the OP describes. I feel things slowly and deeply.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)