• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hey MacGuiver,
You wanna know what I think is funny? Your mom's face on the day you were born when she realized she married her cousin.
Was that an attempt?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFs strike me funny, but I don't consider myself funny. One ENFJ comes to mind that strikes me hilarious on a regular basis on this site. Sometimes I strike myself funny, but I don't expect anyone else to think it is funny. I'm inclined to say that extroversion is a factor in humor because it places the person more in touch with others, but I wouldn't hold to that.

If you want to make an MBTI generalization you could probably say that NF humor is more personal than humor used to dominate socially and play with ideas externally. You would be less likely to see it in impersonal formats

I agree with this....I wouldn't describe myself as funny, but I know NFs who are very humorous.

I find NFs are clever and have a playful humor; it's not so much an obvious punchline as an overall style. NTs seem to think something is not funny unless it's mean or degrading in some way. They can be too vulgar for me also (vulgarity is pretty rare in NFs).

I like how NFs can be silly and teasing, but not mean or crude. In conversation, I find ENFXs very funny and quick (banter is a lot of fun w/them), but no, they aren't stand-up comedian types. Although, I think Eddie Izzard is an ENFP, and a lot of people find him funny (including me).

INFJs can be quite witty also, in writing anyway. I don't know too many in person, but a few I've talked to online come across as very clever and amusing, but it's in that controlled, almost stiff way (and I love that subtlety, so it works for me). The best example I can think of that is Morrissey, who people think is whiny, but his lyrics so funny if you get it.

Sometimes my own sense of humor is odd, so it doesn't show its face unless I feel comfortable (but that's typical for my personality in general). I love to banter though....especially with a charming ENFJ.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I find ENFJs and INFPs very funny. The ENFJs I know often say something unexpected and we both just laugh and laugh. INFPs are more quirky and are good with puns and clever comments. (I don't know enough ENFPs in person to comment).

I think INFJs are funnier than they appear on the outside, but they show it a lot better with those they know very well. For me at least, I have a very strong inner editor which prevents me from saying some things or which runs it through so many times that the moment either passes or else it seems too stiff or thought out to say. Every now and then though I shock people with something they didn't think they'd hear from me because it doesn't match the parts that they do know of me though and it makes them laugh.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'll tell you whats not funny...The Office.

:peepwall:

But seriously, the only NF I'm aware of has a really quircky sence of humor that I usually don't get.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was reading about this on another forum just yesterday and i think that a reason why NFs aren't openly the ones to crack jokes is due to a sense of PCness... FDor example, it was commented upon that ENFPs and INFJs for instance have quite a dark cynical sense of humour however, it usually takes the presence of an NT for example of an SP to really bring that out as the NF worries about people's feelings.. Lets be honest to be really funny you have to be ruthless! :D:D

I definitely have a dark, cynical sense of humour but the people who are closest to me are the only ones who get to see that side of me. People that I know more superficially don't get to see it because I think it would freak them out to see me joking that way when I normally come across as being really nice and kind of innocent. :jesus:

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I find that I have excellent humor "material" (i.e. good, creative ideas for jokes). However, my delivery is definitely a weakness. I've taken to whispering my sarcastic/humorous remarks to my husband or close friend when out in public, and then they deliver it to the group as their own with good success. It's like I can be funny one on one or with a small group, but with a larger group or people I don't know, my timing's off and the whole thing feels stilted.

When I'm hanging out with my kooky intuitive friends we have a lot of fun playing off each other. Though whether we're really funny or just think we're funny I can't say.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm hilarious. I have a dark, bitter, ironic sense of humor. Some people get it, some don't, but it frequently appears in my writing, and sometimes in my speech.

One of the funniest people I know IRL is an ENF.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm not funny most of the time. When I'm funny, I'm funny. I prefer a good signal to noise ratio.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I think my humor is a reactive kind, I say what witty thing comes to mind when someone says or asks something. It gets better the more I know the people I'm around so I don't accidentally make rude or unfairly general assumptions for the joke. I'm very good at timing, just bad at the meat of the joke. If nothing comes to mind, I'm not funny.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
My friends find me hilarious. I'm rarely funny on demand though. My humor isn't really predictable.

GHC

MBTI Type
INFP
1-I have met a varieties of types including NF that are very funny and can came with clever sayings or comebacks, thought I believe SP have and advantage over here.

2-I have been said that I'm funny or say things that makes people cracks up but of course I don't always intend to, a lot of things just comes out of my mouth without none intention of being funny or amusing and it ends up being.

3-This thread a bit stereotyping and I hate that but whatever...I think what it is funny for someone might not be neccesarily being for others; for example I met an ESXP(a type related to being funny or amusing most of the times) in my classroom last year, Guy was a loud-spoken idiot that always end up saying some stupid or idiotic shit and he thought he was the cool joker or clown of the class while most people just think about him as and obnoxious and ridiculous.

underradar

MBTI Type
infp
ENFPs are the funniest people I've ever met. Sometimes they don't even have to say anything, just their facial expression is hiliarious. Enneagram types play a role too. I know ENFP 2's, and she's not really funny, just silly. On the other hand, ENFPs 7's are born again comedian, they're
just bat shit insane, I LOVE THEM.

V

violaine

Eh, not accounting for personal taste, you have to know funny INFs well before you get to see them in full flight. Otherwise, you get the humor-lite version. Funny INFs are funny in a personalized way, using the things they know about you once you have some comfortable history together.

I can't take the gloves off until I know a person well enough to know I won't go too far. I once told a morbid, offensive joke when I was 13 that cut too close to the bone for the recipient. Stuck with me for life.

My family and the men I have dated particularly mention that I am one of the funniest people they know. *shrugs* With anyone else and at TypeC I am typically more concerned with not being offensive/keeping my humor to myself. Irl I don't like playing to a crowd either, (too impersonal), so it's also more of a one-on-one thing.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
NFs just aren't that funny. They can have a wonderful sense of humor, quick to laugh and appreciate jokes. A few are funny on occasion and they will play off another's humor as well.

They just are rarely the one who comes up and gets others to laugh on their own.

Agree or disagree?

A catholic priest, a rabbi and two clowns went into a bar. What did they say?

---

Four pints, please.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I find that I have excellent humor "material" (i.e. good, creative ideas for jokes). However, my delivery is definitely a weakness. I've taken to whispering my sarcastic/humorous remarks to my husband or close friend when out in public, and then they deliver it to the group as their own with good success.

When I was with a group of friends out at an amusement park one of my INFP friends would tell me a joke and I would deliver it. Since it wasn't on purpose it took a bit for us to realize it was happening.

I suck at telling already prepared "jokes" - I can always ruin them, although I've gotten better at it over the years. It was pretty much just as funny when I would butcher the joke though. I ended up tagging along "wasn't that a GREAT story" to the end of my lame stories and usually people laugh at that because I'm making fun of myself.