• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

Bowie

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would agree on the terms of ENFx. I'm quite close with a male INFJ and he has to be the most clever, wittiest person I've ever met. My INFP roommate can be pretty hilarious when she's being cynical.

I seem to have a magic touch at making xNFP's laugh, though.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I had an ENFP gf that was one of the funniest people I've ever met. I think NFs can in theory be funnier than SJs . . .

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
they don't know what funny IS!

Of course I know what funny is! It's the stuff other people laugh at that I find boring. ;)

Just because I have no sense of humor doesn't mean I don't understand it or recognize it when I see it.

Humorless is the stuff other people find boring that I laugh at. Basically, NFs are the opposite of normal people.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Gaius I strongly disagree.

I make a lot of jokes, and I mean a lot. The thing though is that I don't purposely make jokes to make people laugh, infact I can argue that I'm not actually trying to make jokes at all, but what I say may come out like that. Anyway, I make people laugh all the time, and people tell me how funny I am all the time.

Yes, I've gotten this before. I rarely TRY to be funny - because when I try, it's a fail. But when I don't try, that's when I'm funny. It might just be making a random comment or observation, and maybe it's that sometimes I'm just more deadpan/ironic/sarcastic, and typically softspoken/quiet so when I DO say something more off-the-wall, people notice it....but people find it amusing.

Actually it was an INTP who pointed this out to me a few yrs ago. He actually told me I was funny...but he told me it was in the sense that I'd say something - again, just a random comment - and 5 minutes later it would hit him, and he'd be like...'Whoa..that's really funny.'

What kind of humor would that be? My very essence/observations are amusing? ;) Maybe that's my role. I say things people view as funny, but I really mean them!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
*not rising to the bait*

*stuffs sock in mouth*

"Can you please take my foot out of it first next time?"
*wiggles toes within disgustingly soggy sock*

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hey MacGuiver,
You wanna know what I think is funny? Your mom's face on the day you were born when she realized she married her cousin.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
...and the other foot...in the TWILIGHT ZONE! (dramatic closure music)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
whaaaat??? i completely disagree with this!

i've gotten called funny a lot of times. and my friend who i'm pretty sure is an enfp is hilarious and almost won the class clown superlative.

i think NT humor can be way too misanthropic for me to appreciate sometimes.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I forgot to mention it before but I also think that, for example, ENFP humor is much closer to ENTP than to NFJ humor.

Wait...did I just say NFJ humor?

I meant NFJs being funny.

Wait...

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I was reading about this on another forum just yesterday and i think that a reason why NFs aren't openly the ones to crack jokes is due to a sense of PCness... FDor example, it was commented upon that ENFPs and INFJs for instance have quite a dark cynical sense of humour however, it usually takes the presence of an NT for example of an SP to really bring that out as the NF worries about people's feelings.. Lets be honest to be really funny you have to be ruthless! :D:D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne can be very funny and nothing compares to good old Ne humour, doesent matter if it comes from T or F.

Liquid Swordz

MBTI Type
INFP
I disagree from personal experience. I'm extremely funny when I choose to be and I'm in a situation where I feel comfortable to joke around.

I actually considered becoming a comedian when I was a kid.

proximo

INFP's in my experience are pretty amazing at being really, really funny and at the same time, doing it gently. That's not to say toothlessly - the teeth are shown, but not used. As much as to say "I made that observation, yeah, don't think I didn't. Don't worry, your secret's safe with me... or is it? Heh, no, it is. Or is it? Nah, really, it's cool. Or is it?" etc.

They're crazy and stuff like ENFP's, but just more kinda... controlled. ENFP might get wild and out of control a bit, and end up causing offence through just being carried away.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I was reading about this on another forum just yesterday and i think that a reason why NFs aren't openly the ones to crack jokes is due to a sense of PCness... FDor example, it was commented upon that ENFPs and INFJs for instance have quite a dark cynical sense of humour however, it usually takes the presence of an NT for example of an SP to really bring that out as the NF worries about people's feelings.. Lets be honest to be really funny you have to be ruthless! :D:D

Mostly agreed. I can't count the number of times I refrain from saying something on my mind online for fear it might be misinterpreted due to the medium. Which is funny because I'm not afraid to be misinterpreted in real life...People's dynamic online is vastly different. Tone, timing etc are oh so very important too.

EDIT:I mostly don't care what others thing online either, but with so many INFPs and FJs around, you never know when you are bruising egos. And my big heart always cares for the social pariahs locked up in their basements, logged on Typ0C. I wouldn't want to stir something up.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I must say there are times irl when I flip the switch and become brutal.. ofetn causing offense... however, the next day with a comedy hangover I feel pangs of guilt as I really don't mean to offend, it's just as prox said, I have happened to get carried away! :( It's interesting however, that during one of these episodes I was wrongly typed as an ENTP... Perhaps then it is not relaity but people's perceptions of NFs as being seriously sensitive etc etc and general 'these wounds they will not heal' emo's. It is possible that funny NFs are mistyped... dunno, just a thought