• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
I find observational humor and/or dry humor to be what does it for me...

Comics like Emo Phillips, Steven Wright, and even George Carlin. However, I do not generally find dirty language funny, and physical comedy I can generally do without.

Oh, and innuendo can generate hours of fun!

:yes:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
In general I find NFs funny unless, as mentioned by Tallulah, they're deliberately trying to be earnest. NFPs especially are hilarious.

NTs are a mixed bag for me in terms of humor. Wordplay, especially if it's not inappropriate or bordering on offensive, or just total nonsense, is boring. Pretentious stuff is even worse (the whole "what a regular Lacanian you are, har har" intellectual "jokes" make me roll my eyes 360 degrees in their sockets). The best they're good for is being wittily inappropriate and dryly making fun of other people.

proximo

yeah, that always cracks me up. I see that more with ST types, where they watch those commentator shows and never laugh or show amusement... then say later they found it really funny.

Ah! And my step-dad is an ISTP!

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think NT style emotional and ironic detachment gives an advantage when it comes to observational humor. You have to be standing back to look in, right? It also might help with dark humor, wordplay, sarcasm, satire... and narcissism apparently.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't know that many NFs but I just wanted to stress out that it's not always what you say that is funny but how you say it. And I think NFs can do that just as well if not better than other temperaments.

I agree. For example for "dead pan" to work for me the performer has to have very tight presentation. If not an F dom good use of whatever Fi/Fe which seems floating around is essentially a necessity in presentation (or at least smash some large pieces of fruit with a humongous mallet for the "splatter effect")

titanguy

MBTI Type
Enfp
SJ's aren't funny. At all. I go to church with 17 of them and have many SJ friends. Only two can make me laugh. That's because they get almost as stupid as I do with my imagination.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pfft, who cares? I'm easily amused, and that's all that counts.

proximo

SJ's aren't funny. At all. I go to church with 17 of them and have many SJ friends. Only two can make me laugh. That's because they get almost as stupid as I do with my imagination.

Hmm... whilst I know what you mean, I can't help thinking of an ISTJ I know who has me in stitches a lot. In fact, once when I literally had stitches after an operation on my uh, abdomen, I had to avoid him 'til I healed up some, cos it hurt too much to laugh and he makes me laugh too much!

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I find ISTJs damn funny. Maybe because they are so dry when they are expressing themselves. Dry humor rocks.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
I think ENFPs are hilarious, with such imagination and spontaneity running wild.

As for myself, I can carry on insulting banter for hours, have fun with practical jokes, and hilarious innuendos. I could wager there are other personalities which have perfected the art of jokes much better than mine however.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I call bs!! Maybe our text isn't funny but in person I think we're super funny! Don't be takin away my funny boy! That's all I got! :(

proximo

...though, the ISFJ's I know mostly, if they say funny stuff, it's in reporting funny things other people did or said...

Well, my sister's an ISFJ and she occasionally makes me chuckle, but it's usually because she comes out with sorta "mainstream" phrases that I didn't know about, so naturally. I dunno, something about the way she does it makes me laugh, cos I live quite far outside mainstream culture most of the time, so I miss these things and maybe it's just funny to me that it's so novel to me, whilst she says it as a completely normal thing. Or something.

I think we're digressing though...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmm... whilst I know what you mean, I can't help thinking of an ISTJ I know who has me in stitches a lot. In fact, once when I literally had stitches after an operation on my uh, abdomen, I had to avoid him 'til I healed up some, cos it hurt too much to laugh and he makes me laugh too much!

I find ISTJs damn funny. Maybe because they are so dry when they are expressing themselves. Dry humor rocks.

+1 Absolutely! ISTJs rock in the humour department! :D

I take my OP back, not only are NFs not funny, they don't know what funny IS!