• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An INTP said this to me, oh, about two years ago.

I didn't believe it then, but it's been in the back of my brain since... and it is correct.

NFs just aren't that funny. They can have a wonderful sense of humor, quick to laugh and appreciate jokes. A few are funny on occasion and they will play off another's humor as well.

They just are rarely the one who comes up and gets others to laugh on their own.

Agree or disagree?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I agree, for the most part.

I mean, don't get me wrong. NFs are sometimes funny, but not as consistently amusing as NTs.

To be honest, I think of the NTs, ENTPs, INTJs, and INTPs with highly developed Ne the funny ones. ENTJs aren't that funny either, IMO.

Some people think I'm very funny, but they're usually female ENTPs, INTJs, or other INFJs. Everyone else tells me my humor doesn't make any sense, or even insist that I was serious and not joking.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno..an inspired ENFP with a silly streak can be pretty darn funny, as can an ENFJ in a sarcastic mood :D

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
In general when someone says NFs, comedy doesn't immediately come to mind. Those NFs who do get the credit tend to be ENFs

I however have a sister and some girl friends who are NFs and where it feels like when we hang out (one on one) my perspective is changed by them and we seem to laugh and find little things funny, like a total head change but not something one could write or video tape to another who is not in the head space. Its like their own NF laughing gas narcota total fooken head change.

Also some male NF are quiet adept pushing the typical male stereotype boundaries whether is pseudo gay references or whatever...some hilarious bromance hijinx. Clearly not all male NFs yet a few chosen ones.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
We don't need to be funny, we have all the fodder to laugh amongst ourselves at the NTs and SJs.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Is it that NFs aren't funny, or that NFs aren't funny to NTs?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't know OP, I'm always tagged as 'the one who makes you laugh' in those facebook things. I've even been told I should be a stand-up comedian at one point. Not boosting my own comedic ego though, because at other times I can be very unfunny, mostly because I do stupid/weird inside jokes no one else really cares about. Except my ENFP friend of course...

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hence NF really stands for Not Funny.

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
Gaius I strongly disagree.

I make a lot of jokes, and I mean a lot. The thing though is that I don't purposely make jokes to make people laugh, infact I can argue that I'm not actually trying to make jokes at all, but what I say may come out like that. Anyway, I make people laugh all the time, and people tell me how funny I am all the time. It happens to be that I'm able to find something funny in every conversation I have with someone/people, even when having a serious conversation. I don't do it on purpose, something funny just pops up in my mind while I'm talking to someone and I say it, and we both laugh. Then again what is funny to you is not funny to everyone. I never seem to find comedians funny at all. I've watched countless comedic shows and till this day I can't find one that makes me giggle, so "being funny" is subjective.

Being funny/making jokes in my opinion has nothing to do with type, but rather with character.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Gaius I strongly disagree.

I make a lot of jokes, and I mean a lot. The thing though is that I don't purposely make jokes to make people laugh, infact I can argue that I'm not actually trying to make jokes at all, but what I say may come out like that. Anyway, I make people laugh all the time, and people tell me how funny I am all the time. It happens to be that I'm able to find something funny in every conversation I have with someone/people, even when having a serious conversation. I don't do it on purpose, something funny just pops up in my mind while I'm talking to someone and I say it, and we both laugh. Then again what is funny to you is not funny to everyone. I never seem to find comedians funny at all. I've watched countless comedic shows and till this day I can't find one that makes me giggle, so "being funny" is subjective.

Being funny/making jokes in my opinion has nothing to do with type, but rather with character.

^is this supposed to be an example of INF humour? :rolli:
:D

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Is it that NFs aren't funny, or that NFs aren't funny to NTs?

Yeah this is what I'm thinking.

It would depend on what you find funny and if it's humor is type related then SPs would find other SPs funny, same thing with SJs then more broadly sensors. NPs would find NPs funny, same thing with NJs, and more broadly intuitives. And then some things are just funny regardless of type.

I think humor is tied to having the same/similar perception functions. Me, I just don't find puns funny. I know its clever and all but I feel like I have to force a laugh out. But then I have a pretty puerile sense of humor anyway, I talk about lemonade and strawberry sauce.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^I'm just playing with ya mate. ;)

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFs strike me funny, but I don't consider myself funny. One ENFJ comes to mind that strikes me hilarious on a regular basis on this site. Sometimes I strike myself funny, but I don't expect anyone else to think it is funny. I'm inclined to say that extroversion is a factor in humor because it places the person more in touch with others, but I wouldn't hold to that.

If you want to make an MBTI generalization you could probably say that NF humor is more personal than humor used to dominate socially and play with ideas externally. You would be less likely to see it in impersonal formats. I think it could be difficult for an NF to be standup comic who has to get past being booed off the stage and such. A lot of humor in our society is based on being thick-skinned. It's a way to demonstrate apathy or dominance.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It seems that NFs usually 'pour cold water' on good humour by trying to make it funnier.

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't know OP, I'm always tagged as 'the one who makes you laugh' in those facebook things. I've even been told I should be a stand-up comedian at one point. Not boosting my own comedic ego though, because at other times I can be very unfunny, mostly because I do stupid/weird inside jokes no one else really cares about. Except my ENFP friend of course...

lol, same here. People have told me to do standup comedy as well. I can make people laugh but I'm necessarily a stand up comedian. I don't plan out jokes and go up in front of a stage to say them, I say things funny in accordance to the topic/conversation at hand or something I see and want to show someone. Or while talking about something I can make an analogy to something else and in the end turn that into something funny. If that makes sense.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I found this part slightly funny, only because the rest of the post was serious.

It made me laugh out loud. I was watching BSG last night though.

I find my INFP friends (and random posts on here) hilarious. Usually they make me laugh more than NTs. NTs often feel like they are trying too hard.