• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm too lazy to find the random thought thread so I'll just deposit this here, day four at work, the lady is up.

Still in my jammies.

Fuck me!

:cry:

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think we can have great senses of humor, that we love to laugh, that we can be witty, but we, at least most of us, will not want to hurt someone's feelings for the sake of a laugh so I could see how NTs or STs, or Ts in general might be funnier than us.

I dunno, just some thoughts.

:)

I can definitely see this. Some of the funniest people I know are ENTPs and ESTPs. They will make fun of people in a joking manner. I would never say most of those things for a laugh.

I'm pretty funny, but a lot of times it's because I'm laughing and having fun in a quirky way and then it catches on.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I want to find out what type George Carlin and Bill Hicks is because they resemble my points of view in life. Very.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I used to be the class clown when I was little. I guess I'm more of a crazy attention whore than a funny person. If I say something funny, I usually don't do that on purpose, I just say it because I'm crazy.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I want to find out what type George Carlin and Bill Hicks is because they resemble my points of view in life. Very.
George Carlin is probably ENTJ.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

This scares the shit out of me.

Just saying cuz it'll get me attention on a forum.

stringstheory

THIS bitch
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
i'm seriously like the least funny person i know. if people laugh at something i say, for the most part they say it's because i say something random or off-the-wall that somehow redeems everything i said beforehand :alttongue:

that or they get it after i explain what it going on in my head, in which case they can see how it was funny but the time for laughing has long passed. i usually keep my mouth shut and leave humour to my NT...unless we're by ourselves, i'm better able to fine tune my humour to his specifically.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
You don't have to hurt someone's feelings to be funny though. It is kind of less funny if you do.

I don't know. I'm a huge fan of Groucho Marx style taking the piss out of someone especially if they really, really need a forced crash landing.

And when it comes to that, I find most people are WAY too sensitive about themselves usually because they take themselves too seriously and that's one thing that really gets stuck in my craw. "Mean" humor, black/dark humor is a whole lot funnier to me and not because it's at someone else's expense. If you do it right, it's not. A lot of people get uptight about things about themselves and interpret it as mean when it's not.

I know ENFPs are supposed to be sensitive to stuff like that and I am but I know when it's called for.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
This is what I read.

---

All I have to say about NFs not being funny is Robin Williams & Dave Chapelle.

True, they are funny.
How do we solve this quandary?

Neither one is an NF.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
There's no way to confirm either opinion. I have a hard time seeing Robin Williams as anything other than NF, personally. Simply because he "lacks logic" and isn't hindered by "reality" from very early on in his career.

But at some point in time some funny comedian somewhere is an NF.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Huh? I know ENFJs and ENFPs that both partake in standup and improv comedy. I like them, and people tend to find them relatively funny.

For some reason, however, ENFPs can make me laugh the hardest. One of my closest friends, an ENFP, will have me– and I'll have him– laughing the entire time we see each other.

So maybe the OP, and the INTP that stated this in the first place, should not– and this applies to nearly every case of definition within MBTI– make a radical assumption about someone because of the way they scored on a test.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A big part of humor is just social dominance. The boss is always "funny" - or at least people always laugh at the jokes. Saying something mean or dirty surprises people and makes them uncomfortable or even a little afraid of the person, and so they laugh. Sometimes clever humor is mean or dirty, but I tend to think it has to be even more clever if it is using a copout tactic like that. Many sitcoms and second rate standups just says mean and nasty stuff that is redundant, unclever, and not funny at all, but people laugh when they feel uncomfortable.

I've also watched people in social groups laugh at whomever is "popular" and deliberately overlook funny comments from people who aren't on the inside. People fulfill whatever expectations you set for them in two ways because a person's perceptions will filter out only what they expect and the social pressure of being defined externally will shape other people's behavior. Anyway, the premise of "NFs aren't funny" has more to do with this sort of thing than humor.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
True, they are funny.
How do we solve this quandary?

Neither one is an NF.

What about Andy Kaufman?

So maybe the OP, and the INTP that stated this in the first place, should not– and this applies to nearly every case of definition within MBTI– make a radical assumption about someone because of the way they scored on a test.

I think the only proper assumption is that very needy and even a little sad NTs tend to want to burn (possibly because of some perceived social butthurt) and troll NFs. ;)

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think the only proper assumption is that very needy and even a little sad NTs tend to want to burn (possibly because of some perceived social butthurt) and troll NFs. ;)

You're a no good'er and you smell! :steam: