MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Completely unrelated story!

One of the MDs I work with is an older INTP, very avuncular with happy eyes.

A couple of months ago he made some joke about belly buttons but said umbilicus instead of belly button and I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?" and then I got a lengthy etymology of umbilicus with something thrown in about Mr. Pickwick from those Charles Dickens stories that he read as a child and Twitter.
    You asked a sincere question of an INTP after he made a joke?

That is a mistake.

I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?"
    LOL!! I'd have laughed my butt off at that, thinking you did it on purpose as a joke, and when he lectured you I'd have laughed all the more, thinking he wasn't getting the joke and finding it hilarious. Sometimes that's happened, and the person who made the 'joke' has later said I made them feel stupid - they hadn't meant it as a joke but a serious question, and they thought I was laughing at them for being stupid and not knowing!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Hahaha yeah, I've always done things like that too. I used to write letters to my best friend in high school when we got separated by travelling, and I'd add nonsense stuff on the envelope, like adding a line under her hometown of Manchester I'd write "(and that's nowhere near Brazil)" or weirder stuff than that. She joined in the fun and did the same thing back.
    Exactly... I am always doing "quirk" stuff like that, it's just fun(ny).*

*except to evil clowns regardless of their type.

One of the MDs I work with is an older INTP, very avuncular with happy eyes. A couple of months ago he made some joke about belly buttons but said umbilicus instead of belly button and I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?" and then I got a lengthy etymology of umbilicus with something thrown in about Mr. Pickwick from those Charles Dickens stories that he read as a child and Twitter.
    ROFL.

I would have said the same thing as you did, but as a joke; and then if I got that response, I'd find it funny either way, (1) that he was playing along, resulting in me probably playing off him again, while everyone else thinking we were BOTH serious, or (2) that he took my question seriously when it was actually a joke on my part, making me laugh harder.

Anyway... wondering if there is more distinction between S/N when it comes to humor, vs T/F. Or if it can even be articulated except for some basic generalizations?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

That depends on your definition of funny. Some people would say if it makes you laugh, it's funny. Whilst some people are more picky about whether things are witty, clever, original, etc. etc., and would call things that are 'funny' even if they don't make them actually laugh out loud.
    That's my definition of funny; why would something that makes me laugh not be funny (and silliness does make laugh)? Not sure I follow that logic...

I'm already laughing (inwardly) at the idea of Jennifer's daughter making animal noises on the phone.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well NFs have a good knack of making really lame jokes that can make people laugh.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

*except to evil clowns regardless of their type.
    I am NOT evil...

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    You asked a sincere question of an INTP after he made a joke?

That is a mistake.
    I've since corrected the folly of my ways.

LOL!! I'd have laughed my butt off at that, thinking you did it on purpose as a joke, and when he lectured you I'd have laughed all the more, thinking he wasn't getting the joke and finding it hilarious. Sometimes that's happened, and the person who made the 'joke' has later said I made them feel stupid - they hadn't meant it as a joke but a serious question, and they thought I was laughing at them for being stupid and not knowing!
    Yeah, this is why I found the whole situation funny. He began it as a joke that I didn't get, so then I was like , and then he explains to me what everything is and it just got crazier and crazier the more he explained and I didn't help any cause I asked more dumb questions until it somehow ended up at Twitter.

I think it's funny to confuse and confound situations and magnify humorous miscommunications, but some people just view that as being an airhead and therefore not funny.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    That's my definition of funny; why would something that makes me laugh not be funny? Not sure I follow that logic...

I'm already laughing (inwardly) at the idea of Jennifer's daughter making animal noises on the phone.
    Yeah, I just mean how, sometimes, somebody might say something's funny even though they didn't actually laugh out loud, meaning it was witty or something. I'm thinking of my step-dad, who watches political satire type shows and goes "Ah! yes, exactly!" and nods a lot, but seldom actually laughs, yet he describes it as a "really funny" show. Maybe that's more of a T thing though?

I'm not sure really how to express it! Little help here, anyone who catches my drift?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I've since corrected the folly of my ways.

Yeah, this is why I found the whole situation funny. He began it as a joke that I didn't get, so then I was like , and then he explains to me what everything is and it just got crazier and crazier the more he explained and I didn't help any cause I asked more dumb questions until it somehow ended up at Twitter.

I think it's funny to confuse and confound situations and magnify humorous miscommunications, but some people just view that as being an airhead and therefore not funny.
    So were you asking dumb questions on purpose, or not?

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    So were you asking dumb questions on purpose, or not?
    After the first sincere question, all other questions were dumb questions for my own amusement.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3