First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Entertain me dammit...
    Okay.

I get the impression from your avatar that nothing you do is ever "by accident."

What do you get if you cross a bottle of beer and a computer monitor? A brew for disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by Soujiro View Post
    What does that mean?
    If I'm not mistaken, it's onomatopoeia for a rimshot.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I know three (tested) NFs:

INFJ = my wife
    ENFJ = Pink Pirhanna
    ENFJ = my ex-girlfriend from high school

All of them are funny people, but there is a lot of variation.

My wife's humor is dark and the timing of her delivery is part of the whole punch. She is quiet and observant, but when she does decide to chime into a conversation it is usually hilarious if she wants it to be.

My ex-girlfrind from high school is hysterical. She was tolerant of me as a bold, crude, yet well intended young man. She is a tough person, and her humor is direct and sometimes just really wacky.

Need I speak as to how wonderful and hilarious TypC's own Pink Piranha - Queen Majesty of Volcanic Sofa Lairs is?

Something I think relevant to mention is that it seems to me NF's are less humorous when they are deeply reflective, either going on an intuition binge or when they are deeply upset...

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Okay.

I get the impression from your avatar that nothing you do is ever "by accident."
    Lies, damn lies...

And I shredded the statistics...

So you can't prove anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    What do you get if you cross a bottle of beer and a computer monitor? A brew for disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The NFs that strike me funny take me into an imaginary place. It's easy to forget how often people take a completely literal interpretation of what is said. In those cases this type of NF humor would be confusing and to some possibly annoying because it doesn't make sense to them. If a person doesn't have or share an imagination, there is not a way to get a context for the humor.
    That might be the case with N's generally...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm funny :'(
    <3

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    That might be the case with N's generally...
    I think I mentioned before that when I've called my almost-teen INFJ daughter, sometimes she'll answer the phone by making animal noises. (No, she doesn't have Tourette's.) I think it's hilarious and will sometimes respond in kind. And all of a sudden we'll just both start having a normal conversation as if nothing else had happened.

Other people think we're just weird.
    (And on that note, they're probably right.)

It's more "quirk funny" just because it's entirely unexpected/inappropriate for the context. That's a brand of humor that S's are more apt to take seriously and straight-forwardly so it makes no sense, I just see it as her choosing to violate the unspoken norms (which she expresses in other ways too).

I'm not sure how to predict "F" humor if there is such a thing. The gist is simply that with my NF friends, they're more apt to worry about how the listeners (and the person they're joking about) will take what they're saying, and they tend to be more interested in avoiding conflict/criticism. T humor seems to care less about that, it's detached in nature and assumes that people can step back and see something from the outside and laugh at it rather than taking it as personal criticism. (Kathy Griffin is one outspoken example of this, she can really step in a hole sometimes because she tends to say exactly what she's thinking or playing an idea out to its fullest... but not everyone appreciates that.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Silly isn't always funny.

I can be pretty silly and be laughing at it, but it's not funny per se either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think I mentioned before that when I've called my almost-teen INFJ daughter, sometimes she'll answer the phone by making animal noises. (No, she doesn't have Tourette's.) I think it's hilarious and will sometimes respond in kind. And all of a sudden we'll just both start having a normal conversation as if nothing else had happened.

Other people think we're just weird.
    (And on that note, they're probably right.)

It's more "quirk funny" just because it's entirely unexpected/inappropriate for the context. That's a brand of humor that S's are more apt to take seriously and straight-forwardly so it makes no sense, I just see it as her choosing to violate the unspoken norms (which she expresses in other ways too).
    Hahaha yeah, I've always done things like that too. I used to write letters to my best friend in high school when we got separated by travelling, and I'd add nonsense stuff on the envelope, like adding a line under her hometown of Manchester I'd write "(and that's nowhere near Brazil)" or weirder stuff than that. She joined in the fun and did the same thing back.

That's the sort of humour that I've often been told is "annoying" or "stupid" or "just silly" (and therefore not funny) by some people, whilst others love it and join in.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Puns are supposed to be the INTP's domain, but I don't care for them. I enjoy wordplay, but I don't find it humorous that often.
    Completely unrelated story!

One of the MDs I work with is an older INTP, very avuncular with happy eyes.

A couple of months ago he made some joke about belly buttons but said umbilicus instead of belly button and I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?" and then I got a lengthy etymology of umbilicus with something thrown in about Mr. Pickwick from those Charles Dickens stories that he read as a child and Twitter.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Silly isn't always funny.

I can be pretty silly and be laughing at it, but it's not funny per se either.
    That depends on your definition of funny. Some people would say if it makes you laugh, it's funny. Whilst some people are more picky about whether things are witty, clever, original, etc. etc., and would call things that are 'funny' even if they don't make them actually laugh out loud.