• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFs aren't funny

Soujiro

MBTI Type
INFJ
Personally, I've never even had any intentions of being anybody's clown. I find humour everywhere and it is completely unrelated to type. NF's can be funny just as any other type out there, it really depends on the character.

First of all, I laugh myself and whether people are able to pick up on what I find funny is secondary to me because I rarely provide any explanations. Trying to be funny feels fake and smells like hard labour. Although, people trying desperately to be funny amuse me immensely.

Sky is Blue omg I've finally encountered you.
You see I've been an avid reader of this forum for a long time but I never joined until recently. When I wasn't a member I read so many of your post and I loved them. I literally fell in love with you. There was just something about your words that I loved so much. You said things like you were in another world, like you didn't exist in the world we're in, a world with suffering and pain, and I wanted to join you in that world of yours. There was just something about your innocence that ... Your stick figure drawings/avatars were also very cute, and I always imagined your stick figure avatars saying the words you typed so it added more to the innocence of your words.
I know this is not the time and place to profess my love but I had to, and I'm sorry for straying off topic.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Badum Tish

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I am a hard critic when it comes to humour yet I find LA very funny.

It is generally not her trying to be funny (unless she is more subtle than I assume)...maybe because her type is so rare...I just often get a kick out of her responses...especially the ones based on an emotionally reaction.

P

Phantonym

You see I've been an avid reader of this forum for a long time but I never joined until recently. When I wasn't a member I read so many of your post and I loved them. I literally fell in love with you. There was just something about your words that I loved so much. You said things like you were in another world, like you didn't exist in the world we're in, a world with suffering and pain, and I wanted to join you in that world of yours. There was just something about your innocence that ... Your stick figure drawings/avatars were also very cute, and I always imagined your stick figure avatars saying the words you typed so it added more to the innocence of your words.
I know this is not the time and place to profess my love but I had to, and I'm sorry for straying off topic.

:rofl1: OMG, I'm adored!!! :hug: Thank you, you've just made my day! :laugh: But yes, I agree, best not to stray off the topic ;) Carry on, people, carry on. NF's are funny! :tongue10:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a hard critic when it comes to humour yet I find LA very funny.

It is generally not her trying to be funny (unless she is more subtle than I assume)...maybe because her type is so rare...I just often get a kick out of her responses...especially the ones based on an emotionally reaction.

Lol. Sometimes I'm silly, but that's when I get into a certain mode. Anyway, I'm just me... what do you mean by "my type?" INFJ?

Anyway, glad to have entertained you. My utter disbelief at the sentiments expressed on this forum can indeed be funny. :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Hilarious! :smile: *applause*

:rofl1: OMG, I'm adored!!! :hug: Thank you, you've just made my day! :laugh: But yes, I agree, best not to stray off the topic ;) Carry on, people, carry on. NF's are funny! :tongue10:

... oops. :blush:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know three (tested) NFs:

INFJ = my wife
ENFJ = Pink Pirhanna
ENFJ = my ex-girlfriend from high school

All of them are funny people, but there is a lot of variation.

My wife's humor is dark and the timing of her delivery is part of the whole punch. She is quiet and observant, but when she does decide to chime into a conversation it is usually hilarious if she wants it to be.

My ex-girlfrind from high school is hysterical. She was tolerant of me as a bold, crude, yet well intended young man. She is a tough person, and her humor is direct and sometimes just really wacky.

Need I speak as to how wonderful and hilarious TypC's own Pink Piranha :smile: - Queen Majesty of Volcanic Sofa Lairs is?

Something I think relevant to mention is that it seems to me NF's are less humorous when they are deeply reflective, either going on an intuition binge or when they are deeply upset...

proximo

The NFs that strike me funny take me into an imaginary place. It's easy to forget how often people take a completely literal interpretation of what is said. In those cases this type of NF humor would be confusing and to some possibly annoying because it doesn't make sense to them. If a person doesn't have or share an imagination, there is not a way to get a context for the humor.

That might be the case with N's generally...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That might be the case with N's generally...

I think I mentioned before that when I've called my almost-teen INFJ daughter, sometimes she'll answer the phone by making animal noises. (No, she doesn't have Tourette's.) I think it's hilarious and will sometimes respond in kind. And all of a sudden we'll just both start having a normal conversation as if nothing else had happened.

Other people think we're just weird.
(And on that note, they're probably right.)

It's more "quirk funny" just because it's entirely unexpected/inappropriate for the context. That's a brand of humor that S's are more apt to take seriously and straight-forwardly so it makes no sense, I just see it as her choosing to violate the unspoken norms (which she expresses in other ways too).

I'm not sure how to predict "F" humor if there is such a thing. The gist is simply that with my NF friends, they're more apt to worry about how the listeners (and the person they're joking about) will take what they're saying, and they tend to be more interested in avoiding conflict/criticism. T humor seems to care less about that, it's detached in nature and assumes that people can step back and see something from the outside and laugh at it rather than taking it as personal criticism. (Kathy Griffin is one outspoken example of this, she can really step in a hole sometimes because she tends to say exactly what she's thinking or playing an idea out to its fullest... but not everyone appreciates that.)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Silly isn't always funny.

I can be pretty silly and be laughing at it, but it's not funny per se either.

proximo

I think I mentioned before that when I've called my almost-teen INFJ daughter, sometimes she'll answer the phone by making animal noises. (No, she doesn't have Tourette's.) I think it's hilarious and will sometimes respond in kind. And all of a sudden we'll just both start having a normal conversation as if nothing else had happened.

Other people think we're just weird.
(And on that note, they're probably right.)

It's more "quirk funny" just because it's entirely unexpected/inappropriate for the context. That's a brand of humor that S's are more apt to take seriously and straight-forwardly so it makes no sense, I just see it as her choosing to violate the unspoken norms (which she expresses in other ways too).

Hahaha yeah, I've always done things like that too. I used to write letters to my best friend in high school when we got separated by travelling, and I'd add nonsense stuff on the envelope, like adding a line under her hometown of Manchester I'd write "(and that's nowhere near Brazil)" or weirder stuff than that. She joined in the fun and did the same thing back.

That's the sort of humour that I've often been told is "annoying" or "stupid" or "just silly" (and therefore not funny) by some people, whilst others love it and join in.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Puns are supposed to be the INTP's domain, but I don't care for them. I enjoy wordplay, but I don't find it humorous that often.

Completely unrelated story!

One of the MDs I work with is an older INTP, very avuncular with happy eyes.

A couple of months ago he made some joke about belly buttons but said umbilicus instead of belly button and I in complete earnest sincerity said "What is that? A cloud?" and then I got a lengthy etymology of umbilicus with something thrown in about Mr. Pickwick from those Charles Dickens stories that he read as a child and Twitter.

proximo

Silly isn't always funny.

I can be pretty silly and be laughing at it, but it's not funny per se either.

That depends on your definition of funny. Some people would say if it makes you laugh, it's funny. Whilst some people are more picky about whether things are witty, clever, original, etc. etc., and would call things that are 'funny' even if they don't make them actually laugh out loud.