• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] what do you NF's think about ENT's?

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
self explanatory... just describe your experiences and how you think/feel towards ENT's.

do you get along with them, hate them, relate to them, find them intimidating, etc etc etc.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
I'll riff with you but don't boss me around.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think the only one I know is one of my daughter's friends. I like him fine. He's a little bit of a know-it-all and he can be kind of loud, but he's a good kid and you can have an intelligent conversation with him most of the time and also, if you prove that he is wrong about something he will usually concede. Eventually.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I've never known anyone officially typed as ENTP, but I have a few friends I'm pretty sure are ENTPs. Not the closest friends, but people I enjoy hanging out with every now and then. They are hilarious and heaps of fun, and very interesting to talk to. They like to think outside the box. I usually find it's best to talk to them with a few other people around, though. That way they get into their groove and the conversation takes off. When it's one-on-one you sometimes feel like they're getting caught between gears.

ENTJs I have a bit of difficulty with, for reasons I've outlined in other threads. In social situations, I find it easiest and most enjoyable dealing with them when they have absolutely no authority over me, be it overt or implicit. They, however, seem to find it most difficult and least enjoyable dealing with me when they have absolutely no leverage over me. So while I know some ENTJs I would loosely call "friends", they are far from my INFP inner-circle.

Actually, I find it much easier dealing with ENTJs when they are in clear and unambiguous authority over me. They really are fantastic leaders. I just prefer my friendships strictly democratic.

Last edited:

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I don't know anyone I've recognized as ENTJ, but I know a few ENTPs.

I think they're great. They're funny as hell and come up with some really innovative ideas. They are quite the characters, one of them sometimes just says "BORING!" if he isn't excited by something. However, if you get into a really serious discussion/debate, it can feel a little uncomfortable, too, because sometimes they seem to expect you to come up with something just so they can beat it down. They also seem to like to be able to reference as many things as possible, which is one reason why they can be a lot of fun, but it also can come off as a sign of weakness when they seem ashmed they did not know about something others seem to be fairly familiar with. One of them proudly admits they are selfish, and it actually comes off as kind of charming in a way. They can really get into one-up manship and being the best, and can be "acheivement whores" (my friend calls himself that).

Overall, I like them, and occasionally find them inspiring.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
In general, I like ENTx. I've had many interesting discussions with that. GZA's comment about "challenging and beating them down" is very true. They (especially ENTPs) love a good argument. For me, one-up manship is fun only up to a certain point... after that it becomes draining. I value their input because they see things from a different approach. So they often bring up issues that I haven't thought of before.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're like babysitting hamsters. At first, they're super fun to play with and all, but then after a while you realize how much of their crap they make you deal with. And you just can't get rid of them!! And most of the time, even when they are insensitive towards your feelings, they expect you to be sensitive to their's!!

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I like them.

I have a good friend who is ENTJ. He and I get along very well. We can spend hours upon hours talking, investigating ideas, and making strange jokes. Once or twice I've been hurt by his insensitivity, but he always addresses it and finds out what's wrong. The few times he's hurt me, he's apologized and we've discussed how to avoid misunderstanding in the future.

My cousin is an ENTP (has tested twice), though he's going through a stage in which he believes himself to be an INTP. It's true that his extroversion isn't very pronounced, but his values and thinking line up more with ENTP than INTP. Anyway, we shared an apartment for 3 years and I adore him. We get along very well. He's always up to something, and we have the best conversations about life and people and ideas. He's the one who taught me to shoot and rock climb.

I refuse to engage in sport-arguments with my cousin, but I've managed to "beat down" my ENTJ's arguments once or twice. The exercise is good for me and he appreciates the challenge. Neither has ever tried to boss me--that I can remember, at least. They're both very generous and kind.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
My best friend is a ENTj, I ahve knwn him for years. We get a long pretty damn well, we sort of tend to think a like. The only things that I do sometimes have problems with him is that sometimes he can be unsensitive of the things that he says or when he says them. At times he can be cruel and he says that sometimes he can't understand my logic and that I sometimes think like a woman. lol Other than that we agree on practically everything.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, it's a little different depending on whether it's ENTP or ENTJ.

I think I get along okay with ENTP, as long as I'm not on a schedule, trying to do something serious, or feeling kind of sensitive. They're rather funny, actually, and they can sometimes pick up on humor of mine that other types don't notice/understand.

ENTJ is another matter altogether. They're usually fine as long as we're both working towards the same goal, and there's no emotional conflicts for me with whatever happens to be most efficient method of achieving it. They're also (usually) fairly intelligent and it can be interesting to hear their opinions on a given topic. I'm reluctant to voice any disagreement with them. Of course if they make me angry enough, there's no telling what I might say to them. That's rare however, because they usually somehow manage to avoid saying things in a way that would cause me to get extremely angry or hateful.

I don't know if the people in question that I'm thinking of actually were those particular types because I didn't administer the MBTI to them, so this is all guessing.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a serious weakness for them! A charismatic, communicative NT is a beautiful thing!

I'm married to one........and he's been great at helping me manage the ENFP paranoia & hypersensitivity with his detached manner. I'm a lot tougher than I used to be.

You gotta be competitive though to survive & earn their respect! I vacillate between engaging them on their arguments and poking fun at them personally. :)

sakuraba

Permabanned
MBTI Type
(y)
Enneagram
7w8
ugh, NF's have a serious weakness for a lot of things. lol

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like ENT's in professional interactions. I've had ENT's as authority figures and as students. It seems to work pretty well in both cases because I'm an idealist who works hard and can see past roughness in communication and into their direct intent. I don't get offended easily unless the person's intent appears to be to harm me in some way. ENTPs strike me really really funny. I had one as a student once who used to accidentally insult me all the time. I knew what he was trying to say, and that's what made it so hilarious.

I don't have much experience with them personally, so that is a tougher call. The structured environments of professional interaction weeds out a lot of potential conflict in terms of communication and expectations. I'm not certain what the boundaries would look like if they were not clearly defined as in the professional environments. I'm guessing it would be more difficult in a personal, spontaneous relationship. My main concern is that they wouldn't be a soft or silent place to land after life wears me down.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ugh, NF's have a serious weakness for a lot of things. lol

:huh:
Gee sorry......... if you want the negative, go to an ENT rant thread!

What did you expect from NFs? We do tend to see things we like in people, that's pretty standard......

And if I personally didn't like the typical NT set of traits, it would be foolish for me to marry one!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I find it a bit weird when people respond to this with just 'they are...' or 'I find them...' and don't distinguish between ENTJ's and ENTP's. The ones who do make very good points, but the ones who don't seem not to realise that we're talking about two very different characters here, with a different line-up of functions completely, point and counterpoint.

ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

Though there are some basic similarities with regard to preference for logic and objectivity, that's about where it ends - the ways in which ENTJ's and ENTP's enact their thoughts, and the ways in which they perceive the world are quite, quite different.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I find it a bit weird when people respond to this with just 'they are...' or 'I find them...' and don't distinguish between ENTJ's and ENTP's. The ones who do make very good points, but the ones who don't seem not to realise that we're talking about two very different characters here, with a different line-up of functions completely, point and counterpoint.

ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si
ENTJ: Te Ni Se Fi

Though there are some basic similarities with regard to preference for logic and objectivity, that's about where it ends - the ways in which ENTJ's and ENTP's enact their thoughts, and the ways in which they perceive the world are quite, quite different.

Perhaps that is why ENTPs/ ENTJs tend to like each other. They are very complementary in their functions.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
The only official ENTP I've known was in college and do not think it's indicative of ENTP and me (and really hope not). Another woman I did student gov with and the lot of us all had to do MBTI and team building exercises. We BOTH and only us two tested as ENTP and I was greatly displeased. Perhaps a maturity thing but I found her grasping and an even bigger and less smooth attention whore than me. (And you can't have more than 1 in a room at the same time) She seemed to lack some basic social filters and was always making faux pas mostly on purpose to get attention. She was also a huge pot head and acted as such. Basically I thought she was bitchy and tried too hard and kinda a drag queen. She was 22 about to graduate from a pseudo Ivy League college and dating a 17 year old townie drug dealer. I was not impressed. That was another sign that I was and needed to be more F than T. I'm still T and F cusp and test as both.

I do however have two very close INTP friends (I thought they tested E but of course not they are strong I's)

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
The only official ENTP I've known was in college and do not think it's indicative of ENTP and me (and really hope not). Another woman I did student gov with and the lot of us all had to do MBTI and team building exercises. We BOTH and only us two tested as ENTP and I was greatly displeased. Perhaps a maturity thing but I found her grasping and an even bigger and less smooth attention whore than me. (And you can't have more than 1 in a room at the same time) She seemed to lack some basic social filters and was always making faux pas mostly on purpose to get attention. She was also a huge pot head and acted as such. Basically I thought she was bitchy and tried too hard and kinda a drag queen. She was 22 about to graduate from a pseudo Ivy League college and dating a 17 year old townie drug dealer. I was not impressed. That was another sign that I was and needed to be more F than T. I'm still T and F cusp and test as both.

I do however have two very close INTP friends (I thought they tested E but of course not they are strong I's)

I can see that ENTPs and ENFPs might be a little weary of each other. Just curious, CzeCze, but what is a pseudo Ivy League college? Is that like in Kansas or something?