• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] INFJ/INFP Points of Contention

Lightyear

The especially soft spot for me is when people tell me about their major traumas.

I can completely relate to that. I always tell people that if they talk to me about what they had for breakfast I will just switch off (boring small-talk) but if they start telling me about their childhood traumas I am suddenly interested, able to listen and can sincerely empathize. It's about deepening relationships again, by showing your true self to me you are strengthening our relationship.

I'm not sure how people know that, I guess it's some vibe, but they seem to tell me stuff all the time. I am the one the both sides of argument come to talk to. Usually I can't do anything but listen, though...

Isn't the INFP known as "The Healer" on some personality pages? I guess you just give of this vibe so if an INFP is healthy they can be the most amazing people to comfort and tend the wounded.

Lightyear

If I had a friend who lived 20 minutes walk from my home and i was layed up with a broken foot or leg and thye never came to visit or call they would no longer be allowed into the Billy show and take part in my awesome rise to glory :p I wonder, for an INFJ i am a little over confident sometimes. lol

I am wondering how overconfident an INFJ could be since we are naturally so introspective. I think that I have a lot of great characteristics but am just as aware of things that I am not good at. It feels like other types can ignore what's going on on their inside are but I am constantly focussing inward, checking if my motivations are sincere and if I really walk the talk so it's really difficult trying to fool myself.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Isn't the INFP known as "The Healer" on some personality pages? I guess you just give of this vibe so if an INFP is healthy they can be the most amazing people to comfort and tend the wounded.

It's probably because INFPs are among the most non-judgemental people around and others can easily pick up on this from even the most basic interactions. So they can open up and spill their darkest secrets without fear.

Being an FI-dom, a mature INFP would have a deep well of past experiences to draw from, coupled with the ability to look at a problem or situation from all possible sides. When an INFP tells you "I know what you are feeling", it's not just to make you feel better, but he most probably does understand what you are talking about.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mostly, I feel as if the INFP is certain of their own values, and not open to meaningful input about what values are appropriate in what situations. To me, this makes them seem annoyingly inflexible, and their surface flexibility seem like a shallow and misleading attempt to appear open-minded and thoughtful. It feels as if they're trying to direct me towards what they feel is right by throwing out ideas that seem random but all hint at the same underlying principle, and use open, unassertive language hoping I'll think their values were my idea based on the view the ideas were meant to evoke. I almost feel like my intelligence is being insulted, that they think I'm stupid enough not to see that they're subtly promoting their own values.

I can relate to this to a certain degree, but am not sure if it's to the same extent or not. Related to your thought that it feels the infp is 'directing you towards what they feel is right....', I can get the same feeling at times. I do not know that that is their intent, but I admit I can read it as such. I don't necessarily read the mellowness as without intent...I think there is an aim behind it, so I don't read it as pure 'mellowness', because I think that is a facade to an extent, as I know at the same time that they DO have very solid beliefs deep down, and are particular about certain things. But maybe too I'm just misreading and that's totally not the case.

I do think it's the result of the INFP's dominant introverted process being a judging one, and their extroverted nature being perceiving -- that would explain their outward flexibility, more 'unassertive language'/probing/seemingly random comments being thrown out there, while you can sense inwardly they are relatively certain of their values and beliefs and not as apt to change those. More solid on the inside, not so much on the outside. I think this contributes to my ease in communicating, opening up, and trusting that anything I say will be perfectly ok and acceptable with fellow INFJ's, and less so with INFP's. I don't trust at all that I can be perfectly frank with INFP's, because I could easily step on their values or offend them unintentionally if I were truly honest.

INFJ's (well, at least me, haha) having a dominant perceiving process would be more flexible inside, more hazy, less solid, in terms of values/beliefs, and openness to vastly different perspectives. But, yes, less open on the outside, more controlled, more purposeful, perhaps, and more direct in communication/language, definitely more compartmentalized and choosy about who to share what with, at what time. Many walls, as Jennifer noted. As for a comment made of INFP's being the most non-judgemental...I am not sure I agree. Externally they seem quite mellow, certainly; but their internal system is so sound, and they tend to have much more certainty regarding their beliefs and right/wrong, than I or a few of my INFJ friends tend to have. But...the INFJ's outwardly judging process probably contributes to this sense of judgment -- outwardly the INFJ would be viewed as more inflexible and probably less open when it comes to sharing.

I think Jennifer raises some interesting/good points as well, especially regarding openness of self.

Honestly I don't see INFJ's and INFP's as being terribly similar to one another!! Taking the three INFP's I know into consideration, there are definite differences.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Yes, I think that both types are actually paradoxes. They are actually on the inside opposites in some ways of what they appear to be outwardly.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Of the few INFJs I've casually known, I'd say what annoys me is:

- Overly formal, stiff way of talking/writing sometimes. It can seem very pretentious. Actually, INFJs can seem very pretentious, period. INFPs seem a little more light-hearted, but keep in mind this is coming from me, and I know I can seem somewhat contrived at times.

- INFJs can seem rather non-committal to large ideas, yet quick to judge on things which seem trivial to me. Their values seem too fluid & dependent on the external for my tastes. As mentioned, it can make them seem like they jump on and off bandwagons of ideas that seem, er, rather ridiculous and not very well-developed.

Being flexible on small things and having a strong, solid foundation of principles makes sense to me, as an INFP....I don't want to change with the wind on my basic moral tenants, which are well thought-out before solidified, not adopted arbitrarily. INFPs are said to be truth-seekers, and INFJs seem more like idea-seekers.

- INFJs can seem intolerant. Because their values seem to be more tied with community standards, I suppose they feel some justification in expressing these opinions. I think INFPs are the most tolerant type, although not the least judgmental. The ability to hear and accept many different viewpoints without abandoning our own principles seems like the epitome of tolerance to me. (We talked about this on INFPgc, if this sounds familiar to anyone who posts there also).

- The INFJ forum is sooooo boring. If INFPgc seem whiny, that place seems like a big snooze fest. INFPs seem so much more playful and whimsical. It's hard to see the side of INFJs that isn't overly serious, but I know it IS there.

And after saying all that, I rather like most INFJs I come across. ;)

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I am wondering how overconfident an INFJ could be since we are naturally so introspective. I think that I have a lot of great characteristics but am just as aware of things that I am not good at. It feels like other types can ignore what's going on on their inside are but I am constantly focussing inward, checking if my motivations are sincere and if I really walk the talk so it's really difficult trying to fool myself.

I feel I have mastered my emotions to the point where I don't have to worry too much about hurting my own feelings anymore by betraying them. Once you are free from that, then you use that feeling elsewhere or you start using a different cognitive skill like Ti or Te.

I have rules I make myself live by for behavior, and as long as I don't violate those I am usually fine, and free enough to appear confident in the room and take charge in a more outwardly way. When a rule is possibly going to be violated but I am not sure my Ni kicks back in to rip the scenario to shreds and see into the future and figure it out, which I then feed back to my Fe and Ti lol.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Of the few INFJs I've casually known, I'd say what annoys me is:

- Overly formal, stiff way of talking/writing sometimes. It can seem very pretentious. Actually, INFJs can seem very pretentious, period. INFPs seem a little more light-hearted, but keep in mind this is coming from me, and I know I can seem somewhat contrived at times.

Yeah, I know I'm like that anyway. I think I have a big enough inner editor that people can't see the funnier parts unless I know them quite well and it's usually more one on one.

- INFJs can seem rather non-committal to large ideas, yet quick to judge on things which seem trivial to me. Their values seem too fluid & dependent on the external for my tastes. As mentioned, it can make them seem like they jump on and off bandwagons of ideas that seem, er, rather ridiculous and not very well-developed.

I agree that I've seen some flaky INFJ ideas. I'm curious what kinds of bandwagons you mean though. Can you give examples? I think we seem non-committal to large ideas because we need time to mull them over and fit them into the larger structure of our thinking (takes more time than details). We also just don't seem as good with surprises - I get my heart set on dumb little things and need a few minutes to adjust if it's not going to go that way.

Being flexible on small things and having a strong, solid foundation of principles makes sense to me, as an INFP....I don't want to change with the wind on my basic moral tenants, which are well thought-out before solidified, not adopted arbitrarily. INFPs are said to be truth-seekers, and INFJs seem more like idea-seekers.

- INFJs can seem intolerant. Because their values seem to be more tied with community standards, I suppose they feel some justification in expressing these opinions. I think INFPs are the most tolerant type, although not the least judgmental. The ability to hear and accept many different viewpoints without abandoning our own principles seems like the epitome of tolerance to me. (We talked about this on INFPgc, if this sounds familiar to anyone who posts there also).

Yeah, I have a tendancy to rule things out when they don't fit, rather than just listening. I think the seeming intolerance has more to do with how we process information than anything else.

- The INFJ forum is sooooo boring. If INFPgc seem whiny, that place seems like a big snooze fest. INFPs seem so much more playful and whimsical. It's hard to see the side of INFJs that isn't overly serious, but I know it IS there.

I agree. I've looked at more than one INFJ forum. I found that people were either disgustingly supportive (absolutely no waves/disagreement/calling anyone on stories that seemed wildly ridiculous) and a little pendantic all by their lonesomes.

And after saying all that, I rather like most INFJs I come across. ;)

I think this list is funny because I considered making one about INFPs and then realized it would seem kind of negative, and yet at the sum of the parts, I actually quite like the INFPs I know.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think INFPs are the most tolerant type, although not the least judgmental. The ability to hear and accept many different viewpoints without abandoning our own principles seems like the epitome of tolerance to me.

Very well said.

I was going to add something here, but it's unnecessary.
As if that sentence was necessary...

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think this list is funny because I considered making one about INFPs and then realized it would seem kind of negative, and yet at the sum of the parts, I actually quite like the INFPs I know.

Well, the thread is about contentions :D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been through many of these comparison threads, and read numerous profiles on the two types, but for some reason the points of contention between INFP and INFJ are often inverted in various descriptions. This has left me quite confused about which trait belongs to which type. It might be an external vs. internal aspects of the same traits present in both types, but expressed differently, but I'm really not sure. The traits that are often flip-flopped have to do with how much of self is revealed, how much certitude of values is possessed, how much tolerance, how easily offended, etc. I really like both types. I realize this is not a particularly helpful post except that it represents those who are confused by categorizing the differing points of contention.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
OA - your post is priceless - one I'm going to have to print off for reference.

For me Fi is so internal I have to use my own Ne to reference it. It is difficult to quantify to myself, never mind anyone else and all my explanations are going to be circuitous metaphors rarely able to state any of it directly.

which post is this??? I don't see one of hers previous to yours. Was it deleted or are you thinking of a different thread?

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can relate to this to a certain degree, but am not sure if it's to the same extent or not. Related to your thought that it feels the infp is 'directing you towards what they feel is right....', I can get the same feeling at times. I do not know that that is their intent, but I admit I can read it as such. I don't necessarily read the mellowness as without intent...I think there is an aim behind it, so I don't read it as pure 'mellowness', because I think that is a facade to an extent, as I know at the same time that they DO have very solid beliefs deep down, and are particular about certain things. But maybe too I'm just misreading and that's totally not the case.

I do think it's the result of the INFP's dominant introverted process being a judging one, and their extroverted nature being perceiving -- that would explain their outward flexibility, more 'unassertive language'/probing/seemingly random comments being thrown out there, while you can sense inwardly they are relatively certain of their values and beliefs and not as apt to change those. More solid on the inside, not so much on the outside. I think this contributes to my ease in communicating, opening up, and trusting that anything I say will be perfectly ok and acceptable with fellow INFJ's, and less so with INFP's. I don't trust at all that I can be perfectly frank with INFP's, because I could easily step on their values or offend them unintentionally if I were truly honest.

INFJ's (well, at least me, haha) having a dominant perceiving process would be more flexible inside, more hazy, less solid, in terms of values/beliefs, and openness to vastly different perspectives. But, yes, less open on the outside, more controlled, more purposeful, perhaps, and more direct in communication/language, definitely more compartmentalized and choosy about who to share what with, at what time. Many walls, as Jennifer noted. As for a comment made of INFP's being the most non-judgemental...I am not sure I agree. Externally they seem quite mellow, certainly; but their internal system is so sound, and they tend to have much more certainty regarding their beliefs and right/wrong, than I or a few of my INFJ friends tend to have. But...the INFJ's outwardly judging process probably contributes to this sense of judgment -- outwardly the INFJ would be viewed as more inflexible and probably less open when it comes to sharing.

I think Jennifer raises some interesting/good points as well, especially regarding openness of self.

Honestly I don't see INFJ's and INFP's as being terribly similar to one another!! Taking the three INFP's I know into consideration, there are definite differences.

I'm not sure how across the board it is, but I've seen intimations many times than INFJ's seemt o think that INFP's are hiding something, or have some big hidden "agenda" hiding write behind that corner that we want an INFJ to commit to and them the INFP will smack the INFJ with it or something. As for casual, for me, I often have a certain, but not total, flexibility about what I want or am willing to do. Also, its a matter of each persons interest level. So for example, if I wanna do something outside I'll say that, and if someone else is like "Let's ride horses outside", well I don't really like horses but yes that would be outside. So I'd respond with "umm, how about something that doesn't involve horses?" Is that an example of what people here are describing as only partial-flexibility and/or guiding people to what we really wanna do under the premise of being casual/laidback/open??? Further, following this hiking example since it TOTALLY does apply to me: "Let's go hiking, Boulder is really nice, how do you feel aboutgoing hiking there today?" To me that does two things: 1)declares interest in hiking, and 2) demonstrates my interest level in Boulder. Now maybe the person I'm hiking with really hates Boulder and likes, say, Aurora. Well maybe there hate for Boulder and strong interest in Aurora will overweigh my little interest in Aurora and desire for Boulder??? We shall have to see, "So how not into Boulder are you and how into Aurora are you feeling?" I'd call that negotiation and sorting out interest levels of all parties involved. Would other people call that feigning flexibility or something, cuz I'm pushing for Boulder in that example?

I know that, for me, I'm not likely to push someone into something that they are uncomfortable with, but that would require me knowing that they are uncomfortable with whatever that thing is.

What annoys me about INFJ's? Their walls. I see the pragmatic value, but don't like them. Also, following plans/expectations so much. Sorta along the lines of [how Scott perceives the INFJ's inner workings, I could totally be wrong though] "Hmmm self, I want to do this thing, but other people are expecting that thing. Well, I'll just keep this thing to myself and tell people that thing. Even though I'm really passionate about this thing, and think that thing is stupid and should be discontinued in practice. And I'll make sure to smile politely while doing that thing, thats what good hostess/teacher/whatever's do. God I hope someone will ask me about this, that way I can give my standard well-practiced spiel about how I'm so passionate about this thing and think that thing is stupid and antiquated. And I'll be sure to say "thank you for asking" because that would be the politer and socially acceptable way to start such a spiel." INFJ's feel free to tell me how wrong that description is. Maybe I've just met lots of INFJ yoga teachers. Well, I have met lots of INFJ yoga teachers.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
another observation in my experience with multiple INFJ's:

What seems to be a projected image of "I have my shit together" and then way later, and generally unexpectedly as far as I can tell, they'll mention how they have been harboring some deep wound/neglect/issue/"skeleton in the closet" that seems to be a MONDO big deal to them. Realistically, thats fine, people are people, people have histories and issues, and plenty of people are "image conscious" so they will want to have this "I have my shit together" image to show others. But it seems to me like, when given lots of openings in multiple conversations to mention it but they don't mention it, and then later, apparently totally out of the blue, they "drop a really big bomb" about their wound/neglect/issue/skeleton, and I'm kinda like "you know, you had LOTS of chances to contextually insert this into related conversations before but didn't, so I'd guess that either it wasn't an issue or else you thought it wasnt that big of an issue, so why are you now acting like its this super world-ending big deal thats eating you alive???"

My guess is that INFJ's just need lots of time to feel comfortable sharing their deep thoughts/issues/stuff, but overall I'm just surprised that 1) they didn't say it before when the conversation flowed that way anyways, and 2) it seems so the world is ending or whatever to them. Life goes on, the sun comes up in the morning, most people really just don't care that much, this won't cause the world to end.

To quote from Just your type: "INFP's are frustrated by their partners need to fit into social convention, eve if it isn't really right for them. And INFJ's sense of appropriateness and strict adherence to schedules is not always shared by the more non-conformist INFP's."

lost verses

MBTI Type
AHH!
My guess is that INFJ's just need lots of time to feel comfortable sharing their deep thoughts/issues/stuff, but overall I'm just surprised that 1) they didn't say it before when the conversation flowed that way anyways, and 2) it seems so the world is ending or whatever to them. Life goes on, the sun comes up in the morning, most people really just don't care that much, this won't cause the world to end.
We're not going to trust just anyone with something that means a great deal to us. It takes a lot of time to trust someone with that information. That shouldn't be such a big surprise.

And your #2 reason is probably another big reason why we don't share it. If the other person is going to act like something that really means a lot to us (in terms of its impact on us) is frivolous or not a big deal, no way in hell would we want to share it with you. Belittling something that is obviously a big deal to us will get you nowhere fast, just a heads up.

And of course an INFJ would want to project a "I have it all together" attitude. We do have a certain degree of pride.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's typically when the bomb drops that I finally can take a breath because now we can deal with the issue instead of me guessing there's a problem and having no hope in hell of helping.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
We're not going to trust just anyone with something that means a great deal to us. It takes a lot of time to trust someone with that information. That shouldn't be such a big surprise.

And your #2 reason is probably another big reason why we don't share it. If the other person is going to act like something that really means a lot to us (in terms of its impact on us) is frivolous or not a big deal, no way in hell would we want to share it with you. Belittling something that is obviously a big deal to us will get you nowhere fast, just a heads up.

And of course an INFJ would want to project a "I have it all together" attitude. We do have a certain degree of pride.

My point was not to make light of what others see as a big deal or important. Let me give some examples.
#1 INFJ: "I'm a yoga teacher and very passionate about yoga. I think people should strive for all that they can be. And yet, I don't feel liek taking the next level of yoga teacher training. How hypocritical and inadequate of me!"
Me: "Your obviously very committed to your practice and your training, and you teach your class very well. If you don't wanna take the next level of teacher training then don't. Your not required to, and its probably not a good idea to commit time and energy and effort to something that your not interested in. You teach well, there is nothing wrong with continuing to teach the way that you do."
#2 INFJ: "I'm a yoga teacher and very passionate about it. I think yoga has all sorts of positive influences on a person's life. So I Fell SOOO bad that once I didn't practice for an ENTIRE month! I'm such a hypocrite!"
Me: "Lots of people take breaks form time to time, and there are various reasons to do so. I practiced daily for years, but after almost dying in an auto collision and having my shoulder/clavicle broken, I wasn't physically able to practice for a few months. That didn't lessen my interest in yoga, it just meant I couldn't practice for a while. Life happens, people get sick, people gte injured, work schedules change, it happens. It's not the end of the world and you get back into practice when you can, that's what is important."

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think INFP's are concerned about violating/invading INFJ's privacy, and INFJ's are concerned about offending INFP's values.

While I have had my values violated many times, I'm pretty sure no NF has ever done so. And even if by chance an NF did do so in the future, odds are good I'd know they didn't do so intentionally and so I'd let it go. NT's and TJ's are the ones I've had lots of issues with. Unless you set puppies on fire or run cats over with a lawn mower, an NF is probably going to have an EXTREMELY hard time offending my values. Sometimes I'll be talking with someone and I'll defend a position or explain a point, and I might get more intense while doing so, but thats me trying to make sure something is well defended or explained, violating a value would lead to other consequences.

I have an INTJ friend, and he pulled off a value violatin with the following: "Women don't belong in graduate school classes. They shoudl either be in the kitchen cooking a meal for their family, or raising babies. You Americans think you have it all figured out with your "choices" and "women are equals", but your wrong, and its stupid. We [other country]'s know better, women belong in the kitchen and raising children. That's just how it is." I did NOT take that one very well.

No NF has ever violated my values that I can think of, and would be hard pressed to do so. Maybe other INFP's are just more prickly than I am on this issue???

addition: My same INTJ friend has also said things like "Scott, you can't waste all your time talking about unimportant things like your feelings and your favorite vacation spots and hiking and dogs. At some point you have to talk about things that actually matter and are important, like politics and religion. Speaking of which, how can anyone like Hillary Clinton??? She's a b&*$#. Also, how can anyone NOT like George W. Bush???" "How can someone ever think its okay to kill an unborn child!" "Women are inherently irrational and belong in the kitchen."

Last edited:

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
IME INFJ's are generally far more declarative and assertive than are INFP's. INFJ's tend to have more of a "this is who I am, take it or leave it" approach, whereas INFP's tend to casually follow wherever the currents of the stream may take them. Quoting again from Just Your Type: "INFJ's can get especially frustrated with INFP's lack of initiative and follow-through, and with their reluctance to speak up for themselves in public."
I also think that when either type disagrees with something, the INFP is far more likely to simply rebel internally or quietly stew over something.

Fecal McAngry

I've noticed a number of INFPs express that they find INFJs difficult to be friends with. I have ended up knowing/being friends with a lot of INFPs, but also can see where some of our differences are more glaring than one might think at first. On here, I find I get along very well with a lot of INFPs and have had interesting/useful conversations in better understanding them.

Where do you find those areas of contention lie? What do you find hardest to understand about the other type?

Obviously Fi/Fe is a problem for many...

One potential area of...disappointment...for INFPs lies in the fact that INFJs extrovert feeling, which can convey great warmth to a needy introverted feeler, who may respond like a moth to a flame, only to discover in an Ni dominant individual a far cooler character than he had bargained for...

I'm sure more than one INFP has experienced an INFJ as emotionally "disappearing" on them once they got to know them better...

Other obvious areas of conflict involve the physical (home) environment as INFJs generally are bothered far more by mess, filth and chaos than are INFPs, and the often stark contrast between the INFPs "play ethic" and the INFJs "work ethic."

I've often wondered if INFP Lennon wrote this song about an INFJ or INTJ:
YouTube - The Beatles Dear Prudence (High Quality)