User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default INFPs - have any of you never considered suicide as a viable option?

Oh gosh, don't you love the suicide game?

INFP: Suicide would be better than this
    Everyone else: No we care about you! Don't suicide!
    INFP: Ah, they care about me.
    Everyone else: Ok he's better now. I am going to go back to worrying about my own worries.
    INFP: They only care about me sometimes. Suicide would be better than this.
    Everyone Else: No we care about you! Don't suicide!
    And so it continues again.

No not all INFPs are like that, and not all suicidal people are INFPs. But something about that combination of functions: introversion, intuition, feeling, and perceiving seems to almost predispose INFPs to come close to the idea of suicide. Myself, I try to block out the idea of suicide. It just doesn't seem viable and thinking about it too much seems to be to probably be unhealthy. I can safely say that I have never considered suicide as a viable option - not to my knowledge. I've been in depressive moods but the world has always seemed to be full of possibilities to solve all my problems.

Though sometimes, I think the real dangerous ones are ones who are on the verge of suicide but never show it. In fact, they might appear to be perfectly happy. *steals glances at a couples of you Js.

I pose the question which is the thread's title.
    "Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical and expecting more than others think is possible." - Mac Anderson

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Anything doable is an option; it's really all about the consequences. At 12 I felt it would be a bigger fuck you to the world if I lived and succeeded than died and allowed everyone to laugh/cry. Besides, as long as you're alive there's still a chance you'll find someone who actually gives a shit.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them. Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide. However reliable those numbers are, I think it supports a tendency to not reveal plans ahead of time...

The ones IRL I have seen make dramatic threats of suicide have always been, without fail, ExFPs.

Oh, but INFPs often do have a fascination with morbid things...just as much as we are fascinated by beauty and goodness. Both sides show up in our writings/art/musings.

Personally, suicide is never an option. It violates my high value of human life, which includes my own life. However unhappy life is at times, there's always small things I enjoy, even if they just serve as distractions.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them. Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide. However reliable those numbers are, I think it supports a tendency to not reveal plans ahead of time...

The ones IRL I have seen make dramatic threats of suicide have always been, without fail, ExFPs.

Oh, but INFPs often do have a fascination with morbid things...just as much as we are fascinated by beauty and goodness. Both sides show up in our writings/art/musings.

Personally, suicide is never an option. It violates my high value of human life, which includes my own life. However unhappy life is at times, there's always small things I enjoy, even if they just serve as distractions.
    infps are more likely to commit suicide than infjs? what are the statistics/rankings? intps are next? i thought 5w4 was the most likely suicidal and 4w5 was the second most.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I don't want to get too morbid here, but I've considered death a great deal, especially as of late. It isn't something that will happen, I've realized; it's an ongoing process, a cold gray shadow drifting over everything and covering it all with a numbing darkness. I don't need to commit suicide, because I'm already there. All I care to do is escape.

In spite of how grim that may sound, no, I'm not suicidal, nor have I ever been. That hasn't, however, stopped people from thinking I am; I can tell they do, and my aunt has even dreamed that I killed myself. This, of course, is a terrible insult to the many people who face problems so grave that death is the only alternative they can imagine. It is them, not people like me, to whom our concerns should go.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    infps are more likely to commit suicide than infjs? what are the statistics/rankings? intps are next? i thought 5w4 was the most likely suicidal and 4w5 was the second most.
    I don't have any links to stats or whatever. Just whenever I've seen statistics for it, INFPs were always at the top. I think INFJs weren't far behind.
    If we're talking enneagram, I'd guess 4w5 would be more likely, but that's just my guess.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

MBTI
    INFP

I must say I never considered suicide - however - I have seen in hindsight a pattern in my own behavior that if it hadn't been changed could have driven me to that point. Only in hindsight and I pay attention to avoid that pattern - I didn't like it at all. And the realization - even in hindsight - scared me badly.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I don't have any links to stats or whatever. Just whenever I've seen statistics for it, INFPs were always at the top. I think INFJs weren't far behind.
    If we're talking enneagram, I'd guess 4w5 would be more likely, but that's just my guess.
    Any idea why? Ideals and values too high for a dog eat dog world? I think I read the same stats somewhere as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Any idea why? Ideals and values too high for a dog eat dog world? I think I read the same stats somewhere as well.
    Probably. A completely disheartened INFP is a sad picture...

Thinking of famous INFPs who committed suicide, like Ian Curtis, it seems a combo of a violation of their own values and hopelessness to make things right again that leads down them down the path of suicide. Supposedly, people had no idea he was going to do it. They interpreted his melancholy lyrics as simply artistic statements. His behavior didn't indicate it. That seems very INFP...to keep it bottled up, only express it through their art, and then make some "extravagant outburst" (as Jung says of Fi-doms).....in Curtis' case, that outburst was suicide. Luckily, many INFPs lean towards more positive outbursts of an altruistic or artistic nature.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Well, I know I seem to have a different definition for the word "option" than some other people, I guess...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]