User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It has crossed my mind in the past, yes.

But it is not a thing that you use to get others to comfort you, it is one of those things that you hide away inside of yourself. You hide it from others, and yourself.

And then you might mention it from the safety of the internet.

I have considered and would do so if I could. The only thing that prevents me from it is my religious beliefs. I think the world is overrated...too much pain more than joy. What's the harm in seeking to find out whats next after this?
    The only thing is, if like me you have religious beliefs and truly think the act of killing oneself leads to nowhere else but more pain and misery you think twice and stick with the lesser evil of the two....this world.

Don't want pity comments by the way, and yes I may be depressed...but heck who isn't?? We're all in denial.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_400 View Post
    Question: I was always called the "level-headed one" that everyone came to for advice growing up, which I find funny 'cause I always felt like I was losing my mind back then. Anyone else experience this?
    YES! My family calls me the logical, responsible kid. Friends also seem to really value my input when they need advice.
    Although, they also acknowledge I am temperamental and moody....

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    ^I do remember reading about INFPs being most likely to commit suicide as well, and I've been trying to find the site where I saw it, but to no avail. It mentioned ISFPs as right up there with INFPs, so maybe it has to do with Fi. I don't know. Just musing.
    I can't find it either....you have to wonder the accuracy of those stats anyway (I mean, do they type dead people ? And of course, my morbid side finds that concept hilarious).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i thought introverted perceivers were more likely to commit suicide than extroverted perceivers. Fi definitely can become fixated on particular value judgments that can corrupt their whole interior (value judgments, purpose, etc). but introverted perceiving gets its entire information system corrupted, it cannot get information outside of that. Fe implosion is a total corruption, it is so total in that we cannot KNOW better as we are destroying ourselves, it is not our values but our perception. we do not just lose value we lose vision, the capability to see. it is not just about how we relate to the world but what the world IS. bc we cannot get at it thru a clean lens. i see Fi lock up and i see Fi suffer very much, but Fe just fucking melts down sometimes (bc it becomes a damaged connector, conductor, conduit between ourselves and teh world). many F types descend into serious mental illness and start breaking down if the stress gets too great and they dont' get the support they need.

i also thought 5w4 was more likely to commit suicide than 4w5. but i thought they were probably the two highest types. 4 is hysterical but 5 is TRAPPED in knowledge of things that can be so dark and morbid and terrifyingly ugly.

i think most 5 and 4 types have considered what would happen, altho i may receive a proposal that doesn't mean i seriously consider the offer. i've wanted to completely disappear a number of times. and yes, i'm glad i did not! there's something comforting in knowing that the worst is never really the worst, and that you can never really hit rock bottom, and that you really can endure anything even tho it may not be worth it to you at the time. tho the suffering and the stress can, of course, and like all things at all times, completely overpower you, dominate you, and totally mercilessly destroy you.

shrapnel is in such poor taste.

we need better and more experimental alternative therapies to get people back on track, but the one size fits all approach to education and business within so many social spheres, social spectres, and social situations is what creates so much fo the problem in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Probably. A completely disheartened INFP is a sad picture...

Thinking of famous INFPs who committed suicide, like Ian Curtis, it seems a combo of a violation of their own values and hopelessness to make things right again that leads down them down the path of suicide. Supposedly, people had no idea he was going to do it. They interpreted his melancholy lyrics as simply artistic statements. His behavior didn't indicate it. That seems very INFP...to keep it bottled up, only express it through their art, and then make some "extravagant outburst" (as Jung says of Fi-doms).....in Curtis' case, that outburst was suicide. Luckily, many INFPs lean towards more positive outbursts of an altruistic or artistic nature.
    I'd always assumed Curtis was an INFx; I defer to your typing as I presume you know him better than I. But when I think of two certain INFPs who killed themselves recently--Kurt Cobain and Elliott Smith--there was great sorrow felt by many at their respective passings...but shock? No. Quite the contrary--both had reeked of depression for many years, had written overt lyrics about both depression and suicide, had attempted in the past, and spoke about it frequently with friends/loved ones.
    YouTube - Fond Farewell Elliott Smith Memorial

YouTube - Sinead O'Connor "all apologies"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I hated it that when I was severely depressed and seriously thinking about suicide my mother still managed to insult me.

BUT ON A HAPPIER NOTE I am happy now. Enjoying life (I shouldn't hold a grudge. It is hard though)
    <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've contemplated it and imagined it in the past, but I know that I'd never be able to actually do it.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah, but not because I didn't feel cared about, as the OP implies. A lot of suicides probably do happen because people feel alone and unsupported or that society at large is too depressing, but there are many other possible reasons for wanting to end your own life. Personally, knowing that I was cared about and thinking that there was absolutely no option I could take that wouldn't disappoint and let down all those people in fact made it worse and drove it onwards. I wondered whether suicide might, in the long-run, cause them less upset and confusion and embarrassment than my hanging around being a miserable, useless, disappointing burden and waste of their initial care and resources for the rest of their lives.

I still think it's entirely possible that that scenario will play out, so I just try to stay positive about the possibility that I may manage to turn my life around and become independent. There's no point in dwelling on the possibility I won't. For the moment I'm focusing on enjoying life as it happens and assuming until proven otherwise that I'm capable of finding and keeping a job, and of not having a nervous breakdown in the process of trying to keep it. Most of the time I'm succeeding to that end and am quite an optimistic person I think.

MBTI
    INFP

I contemplated and threatened suicide when I was twelve. Since then it's crossed my mind on and off usually when I was depressed or going through some Existential "why live" shit.

Nowadays I'm pretty content with rolling with whatever punches life throws though.

MBTI
    INFP

What is this suicide game you're talking about exactly? Using the threat of suicide as a means of getting attention? That doesn't sound very INFP to me. I'd think INFPs would be the type least likely to use suicide attempts as a cry for help. I think they'd do it more because they've decided, for whatever reason, that it's the right thing to do. And then they wouldn't tell anyone, lest they be dissuaded somehow.

I don't consider it a "viable" option for me. But if I didn't believe in an afterlife I'm sure I'd think long and hard about it.