User Tag List

First 12345 Last

brainheart

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Regardless of INFPs snuffing themselves or no...more importantly…"suicide as a viable option"…is it just an interesting/awkward wording or is it an oxymoron?
    Yeah, I totally got hung up on this, too. "I considered it once," I was going to say, "but it most definitely wasn't viable."

Not to joke about, ahem, such a serious topic or anything.

But I did consider it a couple of times, then I realized it was totally stupid and selfish and there are so many things I still want to do. Now it's the furthest thought from my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I disagree...I think if an INFP has suicidal feelings, they are not likely to express them.
    Agreed... but...

Statistics show INFPs the most likely to commit suicide.
    Where did you get that from? I didn't know anyone kept statistics on the MBTI types of suicides!!

I personally think suicide is stupid because SO MUCH can happen with the passing of time, there's no point in despairing at all. No matter how bad things might seem, they can still change very drastically with time, and probably will. For example, I couldn't and wouldn't have possibly even entertained the idea, ten years ago, that I'd be in the situation I'm in now. Many people say the same thing.

Perhaps genuine suicidal feelings (as opposed to the insincere ones that are more about attention seeking, with no intention of actually following through) boil down to simply feeling that there's no hope for you; complete despair. I don't think that's a feeling that's native to Ne, at least not for longer than a few minutes!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

^I do remember reading about INFPs being most likely to commit suicide as well, and I've been trying to find the site where I saw it, but to no avail. It mentioned ISFPs as right up there with INFPs, so maybe it has to do with Fi. I don't know. Just musing.

Well, maybe if Fi makes you unlikely to tell people when you've got a problem, then I guess that makes it less likely that you'll get any help or support with that problem so more likely that you'll sink under it...

The nature of introversion though, is to look within oneself for most things, which can be great in many ways. But in some circumstances we all need outside input, to keep things in perspective within ourselves, so perhaps introverts would be more prone to spiralling down and down within themselves over problems that they lose perspective over.

But I guess the opposite could be true with extraverts: tending to look to the outside world for solutions, so you're less likely to lose perspective. But you're also less likely to figure out and solve it when the problem actually is something that needs to be addressed within yourself.

Pretty much every function could potentially lead to a downward spiral if not balanced out by the other functions, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Well, maybe if Fi makes you unlikely to tell people when you've got a problem, then I guess that makes it less likely that you'll get any help or support with that problem so more likely that you'll sink under it...

The nature of introversion though, is to look within oneself for most things, which can be great in many ways. But in some circumstances we all need outside input, to keep things in perspective within ourselves, so perhaps introverts would be more prone to spiralling down and down within themselves over problems that they lose perspective over.

But I guess the opposite could be true with extraverts: tending to look to the outside world for solutions, so you're less likely to lose perspective. But you're also less likely to figure out and solve it when the problem actually is something that needs to be addressed within yourself.

Pretty much every function could potentially lead to a downward spiral if not balanced out by the other functions, though.
    ITA.

But also, Fi is the function that sifts through all emotions, feelings, and sentiments. Perhaps as a result of this, it can sometimes get hung up on a certain feeling and allow this feeling to get in the way of all else.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    ^I do remember reading about INFPs being most likely to commit suicide as well, and I've been trying to find the site where I saw it, but to no avail. It mentioned ISFPs as right up there with INFPs, so maybe it has to do with Fi. I don't know. Just musing.
    There's this one that says INFPs are "most likely of all the types to report suicidal thoughts in college".

INFP Personality Type

INFPs, hang in there!

I only know two confirmed INFP's in RL and I know both of them always seem to think they're not good enough, and to be convinced they get on everyone's nerves, like they're a drag on everyone - even though I've never known anyone to say bad of them, but quite the opposite, and I think they're the total bees knees!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by brainheart View Post
    Yeah, I totally got hung up on this, too. "I considered it once," I was going to say, "but it most definitely wasn't viable."

Not to joke about, ahem, such a serious topic or anything.

But I did consider it a couple of times, then I realized it was totally stupid and selfish and there are so many things I still want to do. Now it's the furthest thought from my mind.
    Yup, the funny thing about suicidal tendencies (the feelings not the hardcore 80s punk band) is that suicide tends to seem like a better idea when a person is having them as opposed to after the fact. (i.e. "dam why did I cut my wrists horizontally as opposed to vertically that night I drank half a bottle of Jack Daniels and clearly noticed the futility of life after my exgirlfriend left me for a telemarketer" is generally not a matter of regret, although the scars an the weird followup questions may be?!?.)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

On the one hand I want to be like "I think this is an enneagram 4 thing, not necessarily INFP despite statistics" but I'll address the OP.

I had selfish and light and very childish ideas of suicide. I would have never gone through with them, because even as I thought them I knew I was being a melodramatic preteen who wanted to seem "deep."

So no, I haven't been depressed enough to consider it a "viable" option. I deeply feel for the people who do, though. I can't fathom that at all, and I'd like to give you hugs.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Agreed... but...

Where did you get that from? I didn't know anyone kept statistics on the MBTI types of suicides!!
    Introverted Perceivers are more likely to commit or try suicide from what I've read.
    ScienceDirect - Journal of Psychiatric Research : Relationship of Myers Briggs type indicator personality characteristics to suicidality in affective disorder patients
    Suicide Ideation and Personality Characteristics among Gifted Adolescents
    Drunks, Drugs & Debits: How to ... - Google Books
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.