User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Default INFJs - anger and upset?

INFJs (or people who know INFJs and can relate their experiences with angry/upset ones), how do you act when you're angry or upset? Do you blow up, or do you get cold and quiet, or something else?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Depends on the situation. But generally:

First stage: cold, quiet, locked down. I'm trying not to say anything I'd regret. My eyes are probably bugging out because I really, really want to fly off the handle and verbally assault you, but I know I shouldn't because it'd cause a huge messy ordeal.

Second stage (sometimes this just bypasses the first): Solar flare-esque emotional outburst. I say something that doesn't quite make sense, or it does make sense but there is more emotional charge to my words that I intend to use. I do this sometimes when someone is being completely ridiculous and I react more strongly to emotions that I didn't even consciously realise I was feeling. Or, I could be frustrated and might be saying things that aren't very kind to unsuspecting people.

Third stage: Blow up of the nuclear missile sort. By this point I have passed the threshold of all rational thought and have descended headlong into a rampage of anger/frustration. At some point, even the rampage isn't enough to express everything that's been bottled up and I start to cry at the same time I'm mindlessly shouting at someone.

Fourth stage: Cool-down/personal flogging. This happens whenever I get upset. Sometimes I don't even go through a blow-up for this to happen. All I have to do is be the slightest bit rude to someone and I'll start flogging myself for being a monster. Usually a lot of crying and hiding somewhere where no one will find me for a while and feeling sorry for myself. Whoever might have upset me in the first place is immediately made innocent and everything is my fault.

Keep in mind that I really don't blow-up very often but I do do all the other things from time to time. Especially when I'm feeling generally down for reasons I don't understand. People rarely ever see the pathetic/outraged stuff, though.

MBTI
    INFJ

I usually grow cold and quiet. Probably my most common expression. Sometimes that coldness and quietness is obvious to others and sometimes it's more of an internal state that just leaves me less engaged while I work through my anger.

A "blow up" for me tends to be just an emotionally charged expression of my dissatisfaction that is a little bit unreasonable because my emotion burst forth before I had time to process it and get a more reasonable grasp on it. Usually in this kind of expression my voice is still relatively calm, yet what I'm expressing is blaming and judgemental and I have a hard time seeing or hearing anything other than my own hurt experience.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrielle View Post

First stage: cold, quiet, locked down. I'm trying not to say anything I'd regret. My eyes are probably bugging out because I really, really want to fly off the handle and verbally assault you, but I know I shouldn't because it'd cause a huge messy ordeal.

Second stage (sometimes this just bypasses the first): Solar flare-esque emotional outburst. I say something that doesn't quite make sense, or it does make sense but there is more emotional charge to my words that I intend to use. I do this sometimes when someone is being completely ridiculous and I react more strongly to emotions that I didn't even consciously realise I was feeling. Or, I could be frustrated and might be saying things that aren't very kind to unsuspecting people.

Third stage: Blow up of the nuclear missile sort. By this point I have passed the threshold of all rational thought and have descended headlong into a rampage of anger/frustration. At some point, even the rampage isn't enough to express everything that's been bottled up and I start to cry at the same time I'm mindlessly shouting at someone.

Fourth stage: Cool-down/personal flogging. This happens whenever I get upset. Sometimes I don't even go through a blow-up for this to happen. All I have to do is be the slightest bit rude to someone and I'll start flogging myself for being a monster. Usually a lot of crying and hiding somewhere where no one will find me for a while and feeling sorry for myself. Whoever might have upset me in the first place is immediately made innocent and everything is my fault.

Keep in mind that I really don't blow-up very often but I do do all the other things from time to time. Especially when I'm feeling generally down for reasons I don't understand. People rarely ever see the pathetic/outraged stuff, though.

OK, this is a pretty good description for me as well.
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

First: I either manage ignore and contain it, in which case nothing happens and I get over it with no one knowing, or I get slightly and subtly indignant and mean. It can also manifest as me continuing to be nice to the person, but then going to someone else and complaining about their behavior to get it out of my system.

Second: I either have a quick flare of anger, in which I start making accusations and being hateful, or else I contain it and skip to three.

Third: I get extremely cold and robotic, analyzing and reacting to the situation in an extremely logical manner. Most of the time this allows me time to recover, and repairs the situation by reaching an understanding, but occasionally it only makes things worse.

Fourth: If the person starts to respond to three well, or calms me down during two, then I apologize and feel kind of embarassed, explain myself one more time, and everything usually goes back to normal.

Fifth: This rarely happens, but if things only continue to worsen, I simply extricate myself from the situation/person by whatever means are necessary. If it's on the internet, I would leave the forum, add them to my ignore list, block their e-mails, whatever it took. If it's in real life, I would leave the room, and refuse to ever see the person/people again, possibly blocking their phone number(s) as well, and if they worked/went to school in the same place, would quit/drop out to avoid them. But I would work extremely hard to avoid reaching this point in that case.

MBTI
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by tovlo View Post
    OK, this is a pretty good description for me as well.
    wow, it seems a pretty good desciption for me too.
    the part about hiding and feeling sorry for myself and then the other one suddenly being innocent happens to me ALL THE TIME.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    wow, it seems a pretty good desciption for me too.
    the part about hiding and feeling sorry for myself and then the other one suddenly being innocent happens to me ALL THE TIME.
    Yea, and whenever I find someone who honestly makes it well known to me that they don't mind/care that I do that (or aren't offended or overly annoyed or understand it's something I do and cannot really stop), and are willing to talk to me like I'm a normal person through all that flogging, they're immediately someone I can trust.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I become distant, analytical, and horribly sad all at the same time. Upset typically translates into a cycle of anxiety-depression. I have some trouble processing anger because I don't like feeling out of control emotionally. I have spent a lifetime understanding and regulating my emotions. For some reason I feel more in control when sad than angry. I can be analytical even in that context. To regulate my emotions I have deliberately worked out systems broken down into stages. I've invented all sorts of behavioral therapy on myself which have often-times worked rather well. I overcame a few different sorts of paralyzing anxiety this way. I attempt the same approach with anger. This involves noticing early signs, and breaking things down into smaller steps that I can handle. I am afraid of anger, and so it is difficult for me to experience it in isolation. It tends to become intertwined with other emotions.

There are instances where I will act too quickly if I see a potentially harmful situation. In retrospect I will be amazed that I dived in so quickly without analysis and will question the wisdom of my action. In the moment I'm usually pretty shaky, but become so focus on resolving the problem that I feel forced to act. For example, several years ago I had upstairs neighbors who were borderline abusive. It was a family with two adolescent children. It was getting bad one day, so I went upstairs to knock on the door and ask for a cup of sugar to interrupt them. Looking back that was crazy risky, but at the time I was in that shaky, driven mode.

There is also a kind of frustration that feels like a total lock-down. This kind of thing can occur when my computer misbehaves and I don't have the knowledge or tools to diagnose it. Feeling incapable of solving a problem is really tough on me, so I am left exasperated. I have to just leave the room.

For me the personal flogging tends to replace the anger. When I was younger it was a constant problem. I would internalize everything. If someone treated me wrong, I would immediately internalize it rather than pushing back. I did express anger onto myself, and have learned a little better to put it on others where it belongs in certain situations as I have grown older. I think I had to cope by developing other systems in place of anger to break out of that routine.

I have come to view intense emotional upset as "emotional throwup". It's just something that happens from time to time, but it doesn't have to control me.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    Infx

Bingo! Unfortunately for me that third stage more often than not includes violence. But that's why I've built up a ridiculously high tolerance, I usually can even avoid the second stage. Very often I deal with the bottling by stomping around my living room at some point when I'm reflecting on the situation and venting off all the things I would have otherwise said to the person. It's an especially good exercise because then afterwards, it cools, and I can say it in a rational way should the situation occur again or the other person bring it up.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    OMNi

That sums it up pretty well for me.