User Tag List

123 Last

Ginkgo

Red face Have You Lost Your Imagination?

As the years pass, I feel as if my imagination and creativity are being subdued. It's something I regret, because as a child, my elders always thought I was a sort of visionary. I didn't care what external boundaries there were, or why rules were in place. Thus, I would often deviate from the norm in the most charming ways - whether it be art, writing, or anything that required a creative touch.

I fear that I might not be able to evoke quality of fantastical imagery I exercised as a child, and I don't want to lose my creativity.

Do any other NFs feel that society has forced them to drive out their creative spark, replacing it with schedules, time tables, and measurements?

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

I hope not! Because that would mean no more NF-dom...

There's is nothing more fun than to see everything with a child's eyes. Not all of society force you to give it. If you insist, I find that you'll always find a place to let your inner child play.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

This can be healthy, though. For example, us 4w5 should move toward 1 and get things done in order to be productive and healthy. All the creativity in the world doesn't do any good if it is not brought into the world.

You might try reading "Fearless Creating." I've just gotten through the first chapter, and will be working through the rest of the book during NanoWrimo.

On a more philosophical note though, I think that the freedom of childhood is the perfect breeding ground for creativity. When we're children, the biggest consequence of getting a D grade is getting grounded. When we're adult, the consequence of doing poorly at our job is possibly losing our job. The stakes continue to get higher as people have careers, families, and responsibilities. This can make the work more deep and meaningful, but more responsibility can lead to more anxiety & stress which usually does not breed creativity. So, while the work may be deeper, it may not come as easily or at all.

You should check out NanoWrimo. If nothing else, at a basic level it's a month of free-writing, so you're bound to end up with some ideas down on paper at the end of it...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It is harder when you get older. All the (sucky) reality gets in the way, I think. I still consider myself an imaginative person, but I don't have the same degree of direct access to that world that I did when I was young. I was a very imaginative child, though I was always able to clearly distinguish between reality and fantasy.

I still haven't quite given up on meeting a talking animal, or finding the magical door to Narnia, though.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

No, because I'm the one who drives out their schedules, time-tables, and measurements.

Suck it, ESTJ world.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, but then I'm not really living the adult world yet. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I don't want to face it... because I fear having to deal with all that Sensor stuff will make me dull.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

nah, it was in my pocket.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It's all in your head.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

I haven't lost my imagination, and in some ways I'm more imaginative than ever. The difference between now and my childhood is that I spend more time using my imagination in a goal-directed manner. I dream of what I want to do with my life and make advanced use of my creative energies in order to accomplish that; as a child, I did little more than escape from reality and invent useless mystical ideas.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

I've lost a bit, or else it has changed. There's less fire in it than in my early 20s. I just solve stuff creatively, don't hit the same levels of idealism. I'm a sceptic about my expressions unless they represent what I want to say perfectly. It kills a dimension.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.