User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, but I wish I could bring mine down a couple of notches.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    No, but I wish I could bring mine down a couple of notches.
    I could use some of your extra imagination.

My creativity is mostly a stream of consciousness. If I cant hook onto the stream my mind just hits a wall.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    I could use some of your extra imagination.

My creativity is mostly a stream of consciousness. If I cant hook onto the stream my mind just hits a wall.
    Lol - that's what I have too. My imagination is not creative so much as it is running and going no where. Kind of like this:

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Wyst View Post
    Lol - that's what I have too. My imagination is not creative so much as it is running and going no where. Kind of like this:
    It feels like that nearly all the time! I usually have to be interested in the idea to pull it off, and a lot of my creativity is sort of a Tolkien-ien world-building type of creativity.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Do any other NFs feel that society has forced them to drive out their creative spark, replacing it with schedules, time tables, and measurements?
    To a certain degree, yes, definitely. I grew up in an environment that didn't really support imagination and creativity, so I learned to keep it all inside.

I don't think I've "lost" imagination, it's just severely nipped and safely tucked away and the glimpses of it emerge only when I'm in a comfortable position. As I grow older, I find myself fighting against outside pressure to conform and fit into some kind of a box, so I think I might be trying to overcompensate on the things that have been repressed for quite a long time from the public.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's still there. Opportunity to use it has been significantly reduced, though. Then again, I don't feel the need to escape to it as often anymore.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    As the years pass, I feel as if my imagination and creativity are being subdued.
    Oh crap, you lose your imagination!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
    If that happened to me I dont think I could live anymore or at least keep the void of boredom away which would suck me down and crush me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    I haven't lost my imagination, and in some ways I'm more imaginative than ever. The difference between now and my childhood is that I spend more time using my imagination in a goal-directed manner. I dream of what I want to do with my life and make advanced use of my creative energies in order to accomplish that; as a child, I did little more than escape from reality and invent useless mystical ideas.
    This for me too, although I still have useless ideas

I also find it harder to create for the simple sake of creating, which really frustrates me. As a child, I would draw or make things and it was so natural and not as contrived. Now I need some almost practical motivation, which is also stressful and limiting, so it's never as satisfying.

There's also the issue of the imagination being much more pure as a child - as you get older, you learn what is considered "good" art, what is considered "great" literature, etc, and it limits you in creating. I now stop and think if what I imagine would really "work" in reality, whereas I would just dive in before and try it.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I also find it harder to create for the simple sake of creating, which really frustrates me. As a child, I would draw or make things and it was so natural and not as contrived. Now I need some almost practical motivation, which is also stressful and limiting, so it's never as satisfying.
    Ah, this maybe why I haven't started to lose my imagination.

I was never a creator. I could never think of anything to draw in art class without looking around for something to draw, recalling a scene and trying to recreate it, or making some kind of goofy technical-looking engineering nightmare out of vertical, horizontal, and diagonal lines, along with geometric shapes. I can still do all of those things.

My imagination has always been more limited to imagining how something I've already experienced would be different if several qualities of it were different. It also allows me to make puns and play on multiple meanings of a word, see irony, etc.

So if anything, I'm more imaginative than I once was.

MBTI
    INFP

I felt like I had until I came back to this website after a dry spell if only because I'd gotten dressed up for a dinner party way too early and now I'm feeling like my old self again and will try to fit more of this into my schedule.