User Tag List

123 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default I just got told that I seemed "overconfident" in a job interview...

...and that was one reason why I didn't get the job...well, they also thought I seemed a bit overqualified, which makes me suspect the salary would have been crap. I thought from the job description/interview that I seemed pretty much exactly qualified, not over-qualified.

But I just could not believe the overconfident thing. Maybe I am a bit overconfident about this but I am not sure I have EVER been told that in any aspect of my life... I mean, what should you do? Say "Well, um, I'm not sure my experience is that great, but I think I could probably do this anyway?" I always worry about not seeming confident enough - maybe I over compensated or turned into an ESTP for the duration of the interview

I can't help wondering if this is a bit of an English thing (I'm Canadian but live over here.) The English love their self deprecation. I have a hard time imagining a North American interviewer telling me I seemed over confident.

I am so discouraged by the job search...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Well what you write her, sounds a bit over-confident .

No really, being told you are over-confident prolly only goes back to the interviwer not liking you. Dont think it has to do with the state you're in or your skills you apply with. Sometimes they just need a pawn to do their bidding in a job and then they cant work with people who seem to be able to think on their own.

Dont be sad about it, only shows you're still the boss
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I think it is part of american culture to be overconfident. Or maybe I'm stereotyping. The english have some self-pride so you might have to be a bit submissive to them for them to accept you. Actually, it would be like that in most countries.

EDIT: I'm saying it could be possible you were being stereotyped.

MBTI
    ENFP

I feel for you SilkRoad. I'm English, and frankly I think telling a candidate that they're "overconfident" is a bloody awful thing to say. It sounds like they're total idiots and you're better off without the job. Seriously. You may feeling happier right now if you had got it, but it's probably a shitty place to work and a month from now you'd be feeling miserable.

So in answer to what should you do: forget about it, don't think about it. It's totally their loss.

Idiots!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I agree with ent. Also, like bht said, the job would probably suck eventually.

I think you shouldn't let this affect how your interview.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ...and that was one reason why I didn't get the job...well, they also thought I seemed a bit overqualified, which makes me suspect the salary would have been crap. I thought from the job description/interview that I seemed pretty much exactly qualified, not over-qualified.

But I just could not believe the overconfident thing. Maybe I am a bit overconfident about this but I am not sure I have EVER been told that in any aspect of my life... I mean, what should you do? Say "Well, um, I'm not sure my experience is that great, but I think I could probably do this anyway?" I always worry about not seeming confident enough - maybe I over compensated or turned into an ESTP for the duration of the interview

I can't help wondering if this is a bit of an English thing (I'm Canadian but live over here.) The English love their self deprecation. I have a hard time imagining a North American interviewer telling me I seemed over confident.

I am so discouraged by the job search...
    What kind of a job was it? I'm curious to know in what line of work confidence might be a bad thing!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Awww you guys are nice. Thanks. I'm getting my [over] confidence back.

Ragingkatsuki, I think you could have a point about the stereotyping. Of course, I am Canadian, not American but if they were serious about the over-confidence, I suppose Canadians and Americans could come across in much the same way! Plus I'm a tall woman with a deep voice, hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    What kind of a job was it? I'm curious to know in what line of work confidence might be a bad thing!
    It's in publishing - it was with a major publishing house and it's working with the publishing schedules and that sort of thing. I just finished a maternity cover contract at another major publisher where I was doing a lot of similar stuff. Who knows, the job might have sucked eventually but the company I interviewed with certainly publish a lot of great books...

I should be allowed a bit of confidence! The job I just finished was a steep learning curve for me and though I had some good skills for it when I was offered it, there were A LOT of things I hadn't done before, some of which was terrifying (like chairing meetings - terrifying for me.) And I think I did a pretty good job.

Publishing is a bit of a weird industry. I think you're supposed to view it as a giant privilege if you get a publishing job, so maybe they expect you to be a bit deferential. It is a difficult industry to break into and it is one of those where they really expect you to do unpaid work experience before you get a job. In other words, a lot of people who work in publishing have parents supporting them at least up to a point, or rich husbands. It's quite elitist. Maybe I am being a little bitter or stereotyping myself, but it is also very English-dominated in England and I occasionally wonder if that puts me at a slight disadvantage (though I have an EU passport, I'm not on a visa). I did temp work to get in, so at least I escaped work experience but it might be partly because I'm a bit older than the average person breaking into publishing and I already had office experience, etc plus a mania for books.

I do really want to keep working in publishing cause it was a lot of work to get in and I love it...it's just so hard to get a permanent job right now (or even another maternity cover!)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Plus I'm a tall woman with a deep voice, hehe.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    if only the employers felt that way...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENFP

Job hunting is almost always frustrating and stressful. Especially during a recession. I'm in the same boat myself. Rejections are just something you have to live with.

But if people are rejecting you because you are "over-qualified", I think you needn't worry about remaining in the publishing industry. I'm sure you'll get something before long.