User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 51

  1. #41
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ...and that was one reason why I didn't get the job...well, they also thought I seemed a bit overqualified, which makes me suspect the salary would have been crap.
    Yep...this is usually code for "we suspect your talent is of a level we cannot afford".


    But I just could not believe the overconfident thing. Maybe I am a bit overconfident about this but I am not sure I have EVER been told that in any aspect of my life... I mean, what should you do? Say "Well, um, I'm not sure my experience is that great, but I think I could probably do this anyway?" I always worry about not seeming confident enough - maybe I over compensated or turned into an ESTP for the duration of the interview
    This could be code for "you sound too good to be true, and now we are suspicious if you can really do what you say you can do."

    Or "we're afraid you're so smart/talented that we won't be able to boss you around and take advantage of you."

    I believe the job interview is all a BS-ing game, so you have to read between the lines of their BS reasoning.

    I can't help wondering if this is a bit of an English thing (I'm Canadian but live over here.) The English love their self deprecation. I have a hard time imagining a North American interviewer telling me I seemed over confident.
    I need to move to England . It's true....it's hard to be "too confident" in the US, which is annoying for those of us who often find that attitude to be arrogant and bragging.

    I am so discouraged by the job search...
    It's rough out there....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  2. #42
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    It does really suck. but if they wanted a dogsbody who would accept a crap salary, then it probably wouldn't have been the right job for me anyway. Who knows.

    Change of subject, but a few people have said that to me about New Zealanders. I find the ones I've met in England really hard to get to know. In many cases they seem to be either restrained in the personality dept to the point where they come across as not very interesting (even though I'm sure at least some of them are!), or they're out getting very drunk with the Aussies.
    LOL. No we're not dull. In fact we're some of the most warm, laid-back and friendly people out there. But showing off and/or drawing attention to yourself is probably the biggest no-no in NZ culture. We want everyone in a group to feel welcome, comfortable and equal, and any bragging/attention seeking (either indirect or direct) is seen as disruption of that. For example, no one would ever talk about how much they earn, how much their house costs etc. If it is more than others', it makes them feel inferior; if it is less, you make them feel uncomfortable in their success. We think its better not to rock the boat.

    Its kinda silly in some ways but it does have a positive effect on the culture - there is a greater sense of community and inclusiveness.

    Oh and drunkness is a very Kiwi quality, with aussies or otherwise.

  3. #43
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    LOL. No we're not dull. In fact we're some of the most warm, laid-back and friendly people out there. But showing off and/or drawing attention to yourself is probably the biggest no-no in NZ culture. We want everyone in a group to feel welcome, comfortable and equal, and any bragging/attention seeking (either indirect or direct) is seen as disruption of that. For example, no one would ever talk about how much they earn, how much their house costs etc. If it is more than others', it makes them feel inferior; if it is less, you make them feel uncomfortable in their success. We think its better not to rock the boat.

    Its kinda silly in some ways but it does have a positive effect on the culture - there is a greater sense of community and inclusiveness.

    Oh and drunkness is a very Kiwi quality, with aussies or otherwise.
    I've discussed this on other threads elsewhere, I think London is not a good place in a way if you want to see people at their individual best. It tends to make people very "tribal." Actually, the Canadians I've known have mostly managed to stay fairly individual. But I lived in Dublin before and it's not the kind of place where absolutely EVERYONE goes...like London is...so I had a much better and more "individual" impression of the down-under folk I met there than I have from London.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  4. #44
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post


    I need to move to England . It's true....it's hard to be "too confident" in the US, which is annoying for those of us who often find that attitude to be arrogant and bragging.

    Hehe...I do like Americans, I wonder if I could ever live there. I might have to tone it up, rather than down, in job interviews there. The only US cities I've visited that I thought I might to live in were New York, Portland Oregon, or SF. New York is, well, it's NY so it's awesome but I have a feeling I liked Portland and SF partly because they reminded me of Canada!!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  5. #45
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I've discussed this on other threads elsewhere, I think London is not a good place in a way if you want to see people at their individual best. It tends to make people very "tribal." Actually, the Canadians I've known have mostly managed to stay fairly individual. But I lived in Dublin before and it's not the kind of place where absolutely EVERYONE goes...like London is...so I had a much better and more "individual" impression of the down-under folk I met there than I have from London.
    Yeah so many NZers go to London to live and work that its possible to live in a NZ-town like situation. My cousin lived in a flat in London with 2 New Zealanders and an Aussie.

  6. #46
    Senior Member bighairything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    My cousin lived in a flat in London with 2 New Zealanders and an Aussie.
    Is that all? I was under the impression that the entire antipodean population of London lived in just one house in Earl's Court.

  7. #47
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Is that all? I was under the impression that the entire antipodean population of London lived in just one house in Earl's Court.
    Sometimes its not far off. When my uncle was in his early 20s he lived in a 2 bedroom flat with 12 other NZers and Aussies. They were so poor and half starved, all they had in the kitchen cupboards was a packet of cereal.

  8. #48
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Is that all? I was under the impression that the entire antipodean population of London lived in just one house in Earl's Court.
    hehehe...my mum lived in London for a bit in the late 60's and said that Earl's Court was known as Kangaroo Court back then! But to be fair, the antipodeans are all over West London in particular... to be more fair, there are a lot of Westerners (including Canadians!) all over West London!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  9. #49
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ...and that was one reason why I didn't get the job...well, they also thought I seemed a bit overqualified, which makes me suspect the salary would have been crap. I thought from the job description/interview that I seemed pretty much exactly qualified, not over-qualified.

    But I just could not believe the overconfident thing. Maybe I am a bit overconfident about this but I am not sure I have EVER been told that in any aspect of my life... I mean, what should you do? Say "Well, um, I'm not sure my experience is that great, but I think I could probably do this anyway?" I always worry about not seeming confident enough - maybe I over compensated or turned into an ESTP for the duration of the interview

    I can't help wondering if this is a bit of an English thing (I'm Canadian but live over here.) The English love their self deprecation. I have a hard time imagining a North American interviewer telling me I seemed over confident.

    I am so discouraged by the job search...
    Aww man, I know how you feel. In an oral exam for the translator exam, I overheard the examiners saying I was "over-ambitious"! HAHAHA! Just because I put my full effort, brought pictures, and had a WOW presentation about a topic people do not normally discuss. I think they were jealous. Anyway, I passed, so to hell with those morons.

    Just think of it like this: That means when you find the right job, you can hold your own! Keep on truckin', and I'm sure you'll find the job that is just perfect. Until then, I'll kick some major ass of those dumb bytes, how about that?!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  10. #50
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Aww man, I know how you feel. In an oral exam for the translator exam, I overheard the examiners saying I was "over-ambitious"! HAHAHA! Just because I put my full effort, brought pictures, and had a WOW presentation about a topic people do not normally discuss. I think they were jealous. Anyway, I passed, so to hell with those morons.

    Just think of it like this: That means when you find the right job, you can hold your own! Keep on truckin', and I'm sure you'll find the job that is just perfect. Until then, I'll kick some major ass of those dumb bytes, how about that?!
    I really don't get these people...I guess they feel threatened or something!

    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

Similar Threads

  1. Hey, I just got bit more info available for you to type me
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM
  2. Just got back from Harry Potter
    By BlackCat in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 08:17 AM
  3. If MBTI was just a radiostation that played...
    By ReadingRainbows in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 03:48 PM
  4. Just an ESFP that wants to say hi!
    By kimbees54 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO