First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    My comment wasn't in response to yours. It was more of a general observation, but if it was directly prompted by any one post it was Ina's.
    Ah, my bad then.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    ...and that was one reason why I didn't get the job...well, they also thought I seemed a bit overqualified, which makes me suspect the salary would have been crap. I thought from the job description/interview that I seemed pretty much exactly qualified, not over-qualified.

I am so discouraged by the job search...
    That experience seems very strange. That would make me think they had someone already picked out for the job and were just going through the motions perhaps? Or, it could be that someone else picked the resumes out of the pile that were qualified, other than the person who had to conduct the interviews. I never understand why HR people are inserted into the process in place of managers. (No offense to HR people - they could be a big help if they would help the manager do their job, but not do the manager's job for them...) The manager may have liked your resume, whereas the HR person didn't think you were a good fit for some reason.

I wouldn't extrapolate anything from that one experience, unless you get told that at other interviews or people you know in general tell you you are overconfident or come off as a bit arrogant. It's good to try to learn from it as you are though. Unfortunately, in some situations it's just tough to find what there is to learn from teh experience...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    intp

My comment wasn't in response to yours. It was more of a general observation, but if it was directly prompted by any one post it was Ina's.
    Very interesting target given that I explicitly stated that my experience was not a British job experience but with another Euro country - and that the British were therefore not unique in this.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Very interesting target given that I explicitly stated that my experience was not a British job experience but with another Euro country - and that the British were therefore not unique in this.
    'Target' is the wrong word in this instance. Like I said, it was a general observation, and your post prompted it only insofar as it re-raised the issue of cultural differences. And your suggestion of getting a local to review the CV is good and sound advice all round, so I don't think it was a bad post.

Rather than target anyone on this thread I was simply highlighting the important issue that the interviewer behaved inappropriately. And it does suggest to me that not getting the job may have been a blessing in disguise.

MBTI
    intp

'Target' is the wrong word in this instance.
    I don't think so at all. You specifically - and unnecessarily - named my post as the one to which you were responding after getting into it with another poster. And the funny thing is it is not contradicting yours. Hmm . . .
    Like I said, it was a general observation, and your post prompted it only insofar as it re-raised the issue of cultural differences. And your suggestion of getting a local to review the CV is good and sound advice all round, so I don't think it was a bad post.
    OMG thanks for the pat And as the locals and recruiting professionals might tell you, cultural differences do matter in hiring. It may or may not be a factor in the case of the OP (who raised the issue, so much for my post), but it's ignored at your own peril.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

MBTI
    ENFP

You specifically - and unnecessarily - named my post as the one to which you were responding after getting into it with another poster.
    I said your post prompted mine. It did. I also specified I was making a general observation. That is all I said. If you want to be prickly about it, carry on.

OMG thanks for the pat
    Wow, my apologies for agreeing with part of your post.

And as the locals and recruiting professionals might tell you, cultural differences do matter in hiring. It may or may not be a factor in the case of the OP (who raised the issue, so much for my post), but it's ignored at your own peril.
    I never said otherwise. I just said I don't think they are applicable in this instance.

MBTI
    intp

I said your post prompted mine. It did. I also specified I was making a general observation.
    Understandable. People routinely are prompted to deny a thesis by a post that did not make the case for it.
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Actually, the idea of being lumped in with the Americans is a little annoying. Just because we look and sound similar, our attitudes tend to be quite different. It's especially exemplified in our government. When they vote right wing it's actualy towards the right; when we vote right wing it's actually more middle. We've dropped a lot of the religious context in government while the States in general still has people waving their belief in God around quite noticably. Then again, I can understand since I've heard that some Americans travel abroad with Canadian flags attached to their backpacks to avoid getting attacked or mugged. Anyway, this post doesn't really serve too much of a purpose towards the OP.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

The thesis in question:

It's very much an American thing to really sell yourself. If your resume was US-style, they probably concluded you were over-confident before you walked through the door -- You were doomed.

MBTI
    intp

The thesis in question:

It is very much an American thing to embellish yourself lots in seeking a job compared to lots of places, e.g. my internship location. I daresay your post did little to address this thesis, which you now claim to have been refuting.
    hoarding time and space