User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    Job hunting is almost always frustrating and stressful. Especially during a recession. I'm in the same boat myself. Rejections are just something you have to live with.

But if people are rejecting you because you are "over-qualified", I think you needn't worry about remaining in the publishing industry. I'm sure you'll get something before long.
    yeah, I have to tell myself that it's not too personal, a lot of people are the same boat. It's a long time since I've been unemployed (though I have a tiny bit of temp work right now) so it all feels a bit scary. Hope it works out for you too, soon!
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Are you sure they didnt just find you arrogant?

"Overconfident" might be a nice way to put it.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    intp

It's very much an American thing to really sell yourself. If your resume was US-style, they probably concluded you were over-confident before you walked through the door -- You were doomed. Have a local review it first next time, if that was the case.
    It's not just the self-deprecating Brits who dislike self-puffery - I learned this when I had to modify my resume for an internship some years ago in another Euro locale. I can't say I blame them. Lots of US-acceptable horn-tooting is downright embarrassing. Not to mention a distraction tactic.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I found when I lived in the States that there are definitely more cultural differences between Canadians and Americans than I had thought before. I have never been around enough English people to know what they are like in relation to us. I don't think though that if you are a fairly typical Canadian (and I realize there is a wide range within that), you would be likely to seem too brash, unless English culture is a shade more reserved than we are in the same way that we are a shade more reserved than Americans.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Are you sure they didnt just find you arrogant?

"Overconfident" might be a nice way to put it.
    Oh, very likely they did. I just don't understand why. I am pretty sure that the most, um, confident things I said were along the lines of "I think I get along really well with my colleagues," "I'm used to dealing with a wide variety of problems," "I think I'm very effective in my use of x, y and z." Arrogant, really? ???????

I have had people assume that I'm intimidating/highly self-confident because of my height, for sure. I can't help wondering.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    It's very much an American thing to really sell yourself. If your resume was US-style, they probably concluded you were over-confident before you walked through the door -- You were doomed. Have a local review it first next time, if that was the case..
    No...well, I doubt it...I don't even have a "personal statement" on it at the moment. Just stuff about what I've done in my jobs!

I tend to think they just didn't like me for some reason or they tell everyone who is over qualified that they seem too confident. I have many faults, but I really think being over confident is not something I should be accused of. Confident, yes, because I knew I was qualified for the job and could do it. But I certainly never said "so, you can tell I can do a great job, right? When are you offering it to me?"

Traditionally, my friends and family (of whatever nationality) think I don't sell myself enough!!! Which was why this felt like such a weird (and unhelpful) piece of feedback.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Come on back home then, they're all crazy over there anyway.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

I don't think it's either helpful or correct to put this down to cultural differences and English reserve. Those are all just stereotypes. I'm English and frankly it's just not something I can relate to at all from my actual experience. I think the interviewer was just inappropriate, and a wanker. Sometimes it's that simple.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by bighairything View Post
    I don't think it's either helpful or correct to put this down to cultural differences and English reserve. Those are all just stereotypes. I'm English and frankly it's just not something I can relate to at all from my actual experience. I think the interviewer was just inappropriate, and a wanker. Sometimes it's that simple.
    Sorry about the stick up your backside; I thought you guys had a sense of humour over there...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Sorry about the stick up your backside; I thought you guys had a sense of humour over there...
    My comment wasn't in response to yours. It was more of a general observation, but if it was directly prompted by any one post it was Ina's.