• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] Ideal friend for an INFJ

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
There are a lot of theories on romantic matches between types (INFJ goes well with ENTP and ENFP, etc.), but as far as I know, there aren't that many theories on what goes well together in friendships. As far as friends go, it seems like a lot of people just say that you can be friends with anyone and blah blah. Well, lets say you HAD to generalize to specific types being friends. I want some theories on what types are best with other types for friends, specifically INFJs since that is what I am.
I have always had a good amount of close friends, and while I love them and have fun with them, I don't feel a really deep soul matey type bond with any of them. The closest I have come to that would probably be my ISFP friend, but even with her I don't feel like we completely understand one another.
INFJs, do you have a specific friend who you feel like you have a really deep bond with? Do you think your types play into that bond, and if so, how?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Well I have the most fun with my ENFP and my ENTP friends. It's crazy fun, as in laugh until your head falls off fun.

My best friend is an INFP. Our friendship is much stronger and subtler. We can share the silence or talk together about anything. This is the friend I would call in need. She could do the same.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Those I am closest to are INFJ's and ENxP's. I also have two good ENTJ friends. I believe dominant N is the key to my closest friendships, and provides more of that 'soulmate' connection. After dominant N, secondary Ni can also lead to common ground and shared perspective. But dominant N's are certainly the most effortless friendships for me in terms of a sense of mutual understanding and similar thinking styles and general priorities/views/focuses in life.

I dunno that there will be a huge correlation between all the other infj's...I think a lot of this is individual.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Someone that they can trust and someone who is supportive. Someone who is consistent with their behavior. My best friend is an INFJ, we are really close.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
My closest friends have always been SP's. After I read Keirsey and his ideas about the compatibility of N's w/N's and S's with S's (for romance) I thought it might be interesting to get to know some N's better as friends. It has absolutely not worked out -- I've befriended 3 NF's and I find it difficult get along with them precisely because of all the cliched negative things you always hear about NF's. I've also got to know some NT's and I get along great with them, but they're all guys. The only reason I can think of for why I like SP's so well is that my mother was an SP. My Dad was an SJ and I always found him cold and forbidding and I find (most) SJ's the same way -- I'm not saying SJ's ARE that way, just that that's how I find them. Anyway, I'm not sure why people have the friends they do, but early environment may have a lot to do with it.

P

Phantonym

The closest friendships I have are with INFPs, INFJ and ISFP. But no deep soul matey thing for me either. There is still something off, some sort of a distance between us.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
My closest friends have always been SP's. After I read Keirsey and his ideas about the compatibility of N's w/N's and S's with S's (for romance) I thought it might be interesting to get to know some N's better as friends. It has absolutely not worked out -- I've befriended 3 NF's and I find it difficult get along with them precisely because of all the cliched negative things you always hear about NF's. I've also got to know some NT's and I get along great with them, but they're all guys. The only reason I can think of for why I like SP's so well is that my mother was an SP. My Dad was an SJ and I always found him cold and forbidding and I find (most) SJ's the same way -- I'm not saying SJ's ARE that way, just that that's how I find them. Anyway, I'm not sure why people have the friends they do, but early environment may have a lot to do with it.

Yeah, it's weird because all of my friends are S's. The N's that I do know (who are female) tend to annoy me sometimes... What does that say about me? :huh:

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It says you love your friends :)
Type doesn't matter when it comes to being a good friend.

My best friends are an INFP, ENTP, and an ISFP

My childhood best friend was an INTP (male)

I had an ENFP partner in crime for awhile but he wanted more I wanted less, thats how the story goes.

I love this ENFP I know now too :D

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm.. I don't think I can help you. I know what an ideal friend for an ISTP and an ENTJ would be like, but INFJ is of course a different case altogether.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The people who I’d consider my “best friends” (all female) are an ISFJ, an INFJ (for definite) and another INFJ…though the latter INFJ I sometimes suspect is more INFx or INFP. And actually, there is yet another INFJ, according to test results, but to me she sometimes seems more ENFJ or even a little ESFJ.

The ISFJ friend (fifteen years older than me, and we’ve been friends for about fifteen years since I was 13-14 and she was 28-29!) is just very supportive and loyal and also an interesting person. We have great conversations. I can get a bit bored sometimes if she starts rambling on about minor mundane details of when her workmate said this and the other one said that, or how she’s ordered up a new washing machine, but you know what, it’s ok. The majority of the time our conversations are really interesting and I figure as a friend I can let her ramble a bit about things that personally bore me a little. Equally, she listens to me sometimes rather emo ramblings or my digressions on poetry, etc, though it’s probably not really her thing. She certainly is good at listening and giving balanced, sympathetic advice.

I have or have had various close friends whose type I really have no idea about, as well. I think that most of my closest and most rewarding friendships have been with SJs or NFs. In many cases with the SJs (the ISFJ above is an exception) I have felt that there is something lacking, in terms of really deep emotional bonding, shared interests, that sort of thing – but the compensation is that they have been lovely, loyal, supportive people. With the NFs, the bond can be incredibly close and enduring with an amazing level of understanding, but occasionally I think we can drag each other down with the emo reflection :D or even read too much into each other’s actions to sometimes hurtful effect. The latter has not happened often, but it has happened.

While I really am not sure of the type of probably the majority of people I’ve known, I think I’ve had less success in friendships with NTs and SPs. I used to get what I think of as “intellectual crushes” on NT guys, which always ended in tears (even though they didn’t turn into actual relationships!). I ended up getting the impression that they were using me as an intellectual plaything and weren’t really interested in me either as a friend or as possibly more. I think a few good (but not “best”) friends I’ve had have been NTs and it certainly is great when the conversation has that flow and sparkle. But I have just found too many NTs to be too arrogant and argumentative for a lasting and deep friendship. Although I am definitely an INFJ I seem to lean more toward ISFJ than any other type – not toward an NT type, like many NFs do, though I think when I was younger I leaned more toward NT. Maybe that has something to do with it. I do have a good friend in my life currently who is definitely some sort of NT. We have great conversations and many shared interests, but I can get frustrated when she just seems so reserved or especially when I feel like I'm doing all the reaching out to her and she isn't making much effort in the friendship. I know she appreciates our friendship, but sometimes I would like a bit more evidence of that...

SPs – generally it seems that they find me boring, and I find them boring and shallow. I don’t think I have had many close friendships with SPs. I can think of one notable exception in the last few years but it is complicated by my having (possibly/probably unrequited) feelings for him. We certainly have fun together and fantastic conversations, I care about him, and he seems to care about me. But his ESxP connection with such a large number of people makes me wonder where I fit in his life…

Sorry for all the rambling! :)

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
My best friends are healthy NTs. My greatest enemies are unhealthy NTs. Such unnecessarily cruel people.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well you american INFJs are somewhat strange but not that strange at all.

You keep talking about for example "my NT friends are...", while I myself couldnt even in the most distant way label my friends as anything.

I think you american INFJs are the most receptive to stereotyped thinking and I am conviced that you have to work on it. A great deal

Before even considering to have a german entp friend

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ

You keep talking about for example "my NT friends are...", while I myself couldnt even in the most distant way label my friends as anything.

I think you american INFJs are the most receptive to stereotyped thinking and I am conviced that you have to work on it. A great deal

Is this a joke? I am bad at telling jokes online. If it is not a joke then I find it even more funny.

Lightyear

Umm... random. What does stereotyping have to do with being American?

Good friends of mine in the past have been ESFJs, INFPs and ISFJs. I actually like my friends to be intuitives (there is just a connection) but to also be reliable (if I send you a text message please respond and make up your mind instead of changing your plans half a dozen times) so a J wouldn't be bad.

I have ended a friendship with an ESFJ friend of mine because she was too emotionally manipulative and I have let "friendships" with ESFPs die (without them probably really noticing) because I just found them too self-centered, flighty and not deep enough.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those I am closest to are INFJ's and ENxP's. I also have two good ENTJ friends. I believe dominant N is the key to my closest friendships, and provides more of that 'soulmate' connection. After dominant N, secondary Ni can also lead to common ground and shared perspective. But dominant N's are certainly the most effortless friendships for me in terms of a sense of mutual understanding and similar thinking styles and general priorities/views/focuses in life.

:yes:

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFJs. Most of you INFJs are spectacular people. :D

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I love INFJ's!!!!!:D:hug::wubbie:

Although I'm not very good at typing people in the wild yet so I don't know if I've met one.

You guys are like unicorns.:blush: