User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 60

  1. #1
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Unhappy I'm a Damned Liar.

    I have realized that almost everything I say is sugar-coated, wretched, or manipulative in nature. Everything. I have also realized that blunt honesty can be just as helpful as encouragement.

    This may seem like a no-brainer, but it opens up many, many possible explanations as to why our culture is the way it is, and why I need to change.

    -Most of the time, we must avoid stepping on people's toes because we are afraid of conflict.

    -But why are we afraid of conflict? Was it manifested by childhood experiences? Is it ingrained into our very nature as human-beings?

    -Have we developed self-censorship as a species because we cannot handle the truth that everything is faulty, and we are often powerless to change it?

    I have been lying to myself and those around me because I can't even handle the truth.

    I don't even want to add emoticons to this thread, because I know that they are simply tools used to manipulate the psyches of readers.

    I'm extremely tempted to add a "cry" emote here. NO!

    I am putting this in the NF section because it seems that we are the most susceptible to use interpersonal manipulation.

  2. #2
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    [Youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uGmRaInspo"]I am here[/youtube]

    I understand your helplessness
    you stand shrouded in the shadow
    of a world bigger than you
    looking for anything to get you through

    I am here to lie to you
    I am here to break the fall
    I live only to deny you
    I am here to end it all

    I'm possessed by hopelessness
    still you look to me for truth
    but you can't even understand
    the insignificance of you

    I am here to lie to you
    I am here to break the fall
    I live only to deny you
    I am here to end it all


    I know what you mean. But I've made my peace with it. I accept what I am. You should do likewise.

  3. #3
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

    I know what you mean. But I've made my peace with it. I accept what I am. You should do likewise.
    /turns off filter (not that I really can, because language itself is a filter, but whatever)

    Why should I accept myself? I am imperfect, and I will always be.

    Accepting myself is only bowing to ignorance. It is accepting self-defeat, as my primary purpose in living is to improve myself.

    Self-acceptance hinders self-improvement.

  4. #4
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Why should I accept myself? I am imperfect, and I will always be.

    Accepting myself is only bowing to ignorance. It is accepting self-defeat, as my primary purpose in living is to improve myself.

    Acceptance hinders self-improvement.
    Simple. Because self-improvement is just another illusion. You don't really improve yourself in terms of your goals or ambitions, you just become more skilled at rationalizing and achieving them in a tangible way. Your motivations and intentions, the things that really matter, will never be any better than they were to begin with, and you cannot improve them. So you might as well accept yourself.

    People create arbitrary systems of measurement by which they can believe they have improved, so that they don't have to face the fact that their entire life is just a slow march to death, impeded only by their instinctive desire to stay alive. We even design time in such a way as to avoid facing this fact. Why else would we represent it as a cycle that repeats rather than simply measured in a straight line from beginning to end? Because the latter reminds us too much of our mortality, and the former unconsciously conveys the false idea that things that go away will always come back. You cannot escape.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hexis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    I use bluntness when I want make myself clear as crystal no matter who it might offend. Many of my friends find this to be one of my best attributes.

    But when I deem it necessary ill lie, manipulate or blemish the truth to my advantage. I dont see this as anything bad or something I need to change. If anything I view at as one of my "talents" for Im pretty good at it.

    Just cause people who are weak like to say these things are bad or not right doesn't mean they are. The ends justify the means, if your intentions are noble it doesn't mean the path that leads you their will be.

    The world isnt black and white, its a shitty hue of gray.
    SDMF

  6. #6
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Simple. Because self-improvement is just another illusion. You don't really improve yourself in terms of your goals or ambitions, you just become more skilled at rationalizing and achieving them in a tangible way. Your motivations and intentions, the things that really matter, will never be any better than they were to begin with, and you cannot improve them. So you might as well accept yourself.
    No. I disagree.

    Time moves in a linear fashion. It doesn't stay stagnant. Likewise, people change, and either become better or worse in various aspects.

    If I just accept myself as I am, I might as well just slit my wrists right now and call it quits.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Simple. Because self-improvement is just another illusion. You don't really improve yourself in terms of your goals or ambitions, you just become more skilled at rationalizing and achieving them in a tangible way. Your motivations and intentions, the things that really matter, will never be any better than they were to begin with, and you cannot improve them. So you might as well accept yourself.

    People create arbitrary systems of measurement by which they can believe they have improved, so that they don't have to face the fact that their entire life is just a slow march to death, impeded only by their instinctive desire to stay alive. We even design time in such a way as to avoid facing this fact. Why else would we represent it as a cycle that repeats rather than simply measured in a straight line from beginning to end? Because the latter reminds us too much of our mortality, and the former unconsciously conveys the false idea that things that go away will always come back. You cannot escape.
    +1

  8. #8
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    No. I disagree.

    Time moves in a linear fashion. It doesn't stay stagnant. Likewise, people change, and either become better or worse in various aspects.

    If I just accept myself as I am, I might as well just slit my wrists right now and call it quits.
    But who defines this improvement as meaningful? You do.

    You won't slit your wrists now, for two reasons:

    1. Survival instinct. That's what keeps you looking for ways to keep your mind occupied rather than just deciding that since you'll die eventually, you might as well get it over with to be efficient.

    2. You can find meaning in anything. Most people find it in improvement, but you can also find meaning in accepting yourself. It can be more rewarding than you think.

  9. #9
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post

    People create arbitrary systems of measurement by which they can believe they have improved, so that they don't have to face the fact that their entire life is just a slow march to death, impeded only by their instinctive desire to stay alive. We even design time in such a way as to avoid facing this fact. Why else would we represent it as a cycle that repeats rather than simply measured in a straight line from beginning to end? Because the latter reminds us too much of our mortality, and the former unconsciously conveys the false idea that things that go away will always come back. You cannot escape.
    And reminiscing in the inevitability of death gives one an excuse to never try and make something of their life. To never inspire those around them. To never help those in need.

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    No. I disagree.

    Time moves in a linear fashion. It doesn't stay stagnant. Likewise, people change, and either become better or worse in various aspects.

    If I just accept myself as I am, I might as well just slit my wrists right now and call it quits.
    Self-acceptance and forming authentic relationships are a huge part of any kind of 'real' self-improvement, I think for human beings in general, but even more so for an F.

    "Better" and "worse" become more and more false categories to me as I grow older. A lot of what Athenian says is true, but please don't slit your wrists.

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. damn- I forgot to introduce me!
    By miss fortune in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-28-2016, 11:18 PM
  3. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO