• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] I'm a Damned Liar.

G

Ginkgo

Where ever you go, there you are.

What's the point of even moving if you are constantly at terms with yourself?

It's like a hamster running in a wheel. It's redundant and useless.

But life has uses! It is a rare opportunity to learn and experience!

There are so many senseless contradictions here.

I think the point I'm trying to make is.... Meh. What's the point. :wacko:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Well, just remember you're not alone. I won't venture to say that all people go through this, but I think most or at least many do.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Don't you think it's awfully arrogant of you to demand that life have purpose? I mean, why is it so important to you that there BE a point?

The thing is, we're here, whether we have a purpose or not. So you should do what pleases you. If pretending improving some random ability from time to time is important is what it takes, go for it. If it's indulging in sensual pleasures, go for it. If it's constantly researching whatever peaks your curiosity with no intention of doing anything with that knowledge, go for it. If it's volunteering and making other people smile that makes you happy, go for it. If you want to become rich and powerful, go for it. If you want to be a criminal and find ways to elude the police, go for it.

A lack of purpose is freedom, not meaninglessness.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Well why not sit in a chair all day like Descartes... You're not stuck with only you when you're experiencing other places and people.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Don't you think it's awfully arrogant of you to demand that life have purpose? I mean, why is it so important to you that there BE a point?

The thing is, we're here, whether we have a purpose or not. So you should do what pleases you. If pretending improving some random ability from time to time is important is what it takes, go for it. If it's indulging in sensual pleasures, go for it. If it's constantly researching whatever peaks your curiosity with no intention of doing anything with that knowledge, go for it. If it's volunteering and making other people smile that makes you happy, go for it. If it's becoming rich and powerful that you want, go for it.

A lack of purpose is freedom, not meaninglessness.

Amen brother.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Because they tell you a part of you is over-rated? :shock:

Idealist opens thread, gets told to accept themself, then gets told idealism is over-rated. :violin:

What can you expect from a thread in which there is no NTs ?

To be honest I like conflict. (verbal conflict)

Actually questioning other people motives and beliefs is about what my personality is all about.
As a person I am not afraid to actaully "attack" another person. Actually I can't even remember how many times I have been called rude in my life. Also my Jness and unspontaneousness have developed so well exactly because I have to censorship myself so that I don't cause "damadge" if I really don't need to.

G

Ginkgo

Well, just remember you're not alone. I won't venture to say that all people go through this, but I think most or at least many do.

I came to grips with the fact that life is redundant and twisted a long time ago.

But I want to improve myself because myself the only thing I'll ever truly have while I'm alive.

My idealism is crushed - time after time- without falter.

But that still leaves the questions of whether self-censorship is a good thing. Surely, the U.S. government made an effort to rid itself of the public stifling that occurred in Europe, but that was just a lost cause.

Why was it a lost cause? Did our insecurity shatter our willingness to maintain our integrity? Did we ever even have the intention of being integral?

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have never in my life been so grateful to be so clueless.

My clueless, non-self-reflective ass is going to go into the kitchen and get some cookies, and then I'm going to watch some Star Trek and drink some whiskey.

I think I like my brain better than yours.

How the hell can you people even function with all that self-doubt?

I mean, I like how cuddly you guys are, but OMG--I'd rather be stabbed in the butt with fork tines once a day than always be questioning my place in the universe.

I KNOW my place. I am awesome and full of nifty logic to use and disseminate amongst my fellows. Seriously...for the first time ever I wouldn't trade my inability to relate well to lots and lots of people for your abilities, if they come with all that existential anxiety.

I think you guys need this more than me: :hug::hug::hug::hug:

There. You can have some of them back.

Go watch some Star Trek. It will make you feel much better. Really. Also, cookies are good.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have never in my life been so grateful to be so clueless.

My clueless, non-self-reflective ass is going to go into the kitchen and get some cookies, and then I'm going to watch some Star Trek and drink some whiskey.

I think I like my brain better than yours.

How the hell can you people even function with all that self-doubt?

I mean, I like how cuddly you guys are, but OMG--I'd rather be stabbed in the butt with fork tines once a day than always be questioning my place in the universe.

I KNOW my place. I am awesome and full of nifty logic to use and disseminate amongst my fellows. Seriously...for the first time ever I wouldn't trade my inability to relate well to lots and lots of people for your abilities, if they come with all that existential anxiety.

I think you guys need this more than me: :hug::hug::hug::hug:

There. You can have some of them back.

Go watch some Star Trek. It will make you feel much better. Really. Also, cookies are good.

I love INTJs.

They're totally self-centered... and it's AWESOME to live vicariously through them. :wubbie:

If only things could be that simple for me...

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I came to grips with the fact that life is redundant and twisted a long time ago.

But I want to improve myself because myself the only thing I'll ever truly have while I'm alive.

My idealism is crushed - time after time- without falter.

But that still leaves the questions of whether self-censorship is a good thing. Surely, the U.S. government made an effort to rid itself of the public stifling that occurred in Europe, but that was just a lost cause.

Why was it a lost cause? Did our insecurity shatter our willingness to maintain our integrity? Did we ever even have the intention of being integral?

On the topic of self-censorship...I'm actually a rather blunt NFP. I'm not really big on self-censorship. The only reason I ever even practice it is because I respect, like, or love other people. Sometimes I do self-censorship just to save myself the hassle of having to deal with someone's reaction. But usually I'm not a fan of self-censorship, no. My one tattoo is a lizard with a Mandarin symbol that means "sincere." It's a tangible reference to my strong feelings on the matter. So I guess what I'm saying is don't censor yourself unless you get to a point where you're just brutalizing others for no reason. There's a balance. And it's okay to go from one extreme to the other temporarily in seeking that balance.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with this poster's manner of telling you this, but I do agree that sometimes cookies and DVDs are the way to go. Sometimes you just have to enjoy your life. You're here.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
What ever happened to self-acceptance, "I hate F" lady? :newwink:

Eh, I end up analyzing myself all the time anyway.

I'm stuck with self-criticism, but self-improvement doesn't make me feel better. I'm better off not improving myself, because if I try to do that, I'll end up analyzing myself more than I already do, and that sucks.

What makes me feel better... is usually making someone else feel better. So improving myself doesn't help me.

G

Ginkgo

On the topic of self-censorship...I'm actually a rather blunt NFP. I'm not really big on self-censorship. The only reason I ever even practice it is because I respect, like, or love other people. Sometimes I do self-censorship just to save myself the hassle of having to deal with someone's reaction. But usually I'm not a fan of self-censorship, no. My one tattoo is a lizard with a Mandarin symbol that means "sincere." It's a tangible reference to my strong feelings on the matter. So I guess what I'm saying is don't censor yourself unless you get to a point where you're just brutalizing others for no reason. There's a balance. And it's okay to go from one extreme to the other temporarily in seeking that balance.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with this poster's manner of telling you this, but I do agree that sometimes cookies and DVDs are the way to go. Sometimes you just have to enjoy your life. You're here.

I agree entirely.

But there is no "objective" purpose in life, I agree with Athenian in that regard.

However, to dispose myself to predestined stagnation is to do a disservice to generations after me because I want to help society. I need to do something to enlighten those around me and improve them.

From a birds-eye perspective, this is a hopeless cause. But I honestly don't care.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dj0I-tozU"]Rock N Roll Will Never Die![/YOUTUBE]

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.
Hey hey, my my.

Out of the blue and into the black
You pay for this, but they give you that
And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black.

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Is this the story of johnny rotten?
It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps
The king is gone but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye.

EDIT:
What makes me feel better... is usually making someone else feel better. So improving myself doesn't help me.

Wouldn't it be more effective to improve oneself to ensure the imrovement of others is more efficient?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
A bit of idealism and perfectionism is healthy. You don't get far being sane and grounded.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I love INTJs.

They're totally self-centered...

Sometimes I wonder if I found some crazy INTJs and the rest of them are how you guys describe them.

Anyway... it is good to grow past feeling like you can't hurt anyone's feelings, but I would be careful about accepting many of the views I see on the forum, which are mainly "pretend that it's better to be rude than nice."

You need to learn to balance your concern for other people's feelings with being "real"

Don't forget that everything that comes out of everyon's mouth is filtered, we all have to choose to say anything we say. Learning to deal with "hurting" people in a healthy way is a hard thing to do, and it does come with age. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater though.

I pretty much think your whole OP is trying to change yourself to fit into just another mold.

sunshinebrighter

MBTI Type
IXFP
I have been lying to myself and those around me because I can't even handle the truth.

Lying to the people around you in moderation is perfectly normal and healthy. As long as they are white lies. Lying to yourself is a BIG PROBLEM. You should always be aware of the reasoning behind your actions and be honest with yourself. This is a way to prolong problems in your life and may even turn into bigger problems if you keep on running away from it.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mystic, sounds like you've got a little Fe in you- the function that is more concerned (and injured) by lack of social etiquette, then what actually is. This is OKAY. I understand that the truth with all NFs really does need to be sugar coated.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have realized that almost everything I say is sugar-coated, wretched, or manipulative in nature. Everything. I have also realized that blunt honesty can be just as helpful as encouragement.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but it opens up many, many possible explanations as to why our culture is the way it is, and why I need to change.

-Most of the time, we must avoid stepping on people's toes because we are afraid of conflict.

-But why are we afraid of conflict? Was it manifested by childhood experiences? Is it ingrained into our very nature as human-beings?

-Have we developed self-censorship as a species because we cannot handle the truth that everything is faulty, and we are often powerless to change it?

I have been lying to myself and those around me because I can't even handle the truth.

I don't even want to add emoticons to this thread, because I know that they are simply tools used to manipulate the psyches of readers.

I'm extremely tempted to add a "cry" emote here. NO!

I am putting this in the NF section because it seems that we are the most susceptible to use interpersonal manipulation.

Understanding the fear of conflict is easy. Man is a social animal - losing the protection of the herd is costly. One must often choose between personal integrity and personal safety.

You are right, most people can't handle the truth. And perhaps that is the reason we shouldn't offer it to them.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
And reminiscing in the inevitability of death gives one an excuse to never try and make something of their life. To never inspire those around them. To never help those in need.

Bollocks. Put yourself in a life threatening situation. You might see how much you haven't done, and you'll find this new motivation to get your shit together.

I speak from experience. Not really; my point would be better stressed, though.

I respect you all as people, and your opinions are interesting. But, if I may interject:

Lying to the people around you in moderation is perfectly normal and healthy. As long as they are white lies.

No. Be truthful. Lies are not healthy; lies destroy. Stop sugar-coating; start being honest. If something must be sugar-coated in order to be said, don't say it. It's not worth it. At all.

A bit of idealism and perfectionism is healthy. You don't get far being sane and grounded.

Ah. Thank you. One of my favorite quotes: "You can't kick ass with both feet on the ground!"

Understanding the fear of conflict is easy. Man is a social animal - losing the protection of the herd is costly. One must often choose between personal integrity and personal safety.

You are right, most people can't handle the truth. And perhaps that is the reason we shouldn't offer it to them.

Very true. +1. Don't give someone something they can't handle. Honesty is hurtful in many ways; you may find keeping it to yourself is beneficial.