User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I love INTJs.

They're totally self-centered... and it's AWESOME to live vicariously through them.

If only things could be that simple for me...
    What ever happened to self-acceptance, "I hate F" lady?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    What ever happened to self-acceptance, "I hate F" lady?
    Eh, I end up analyzing myself all the time anyway.

I'm stuck with self-criticism, but self-improvement doesn't make me feel better. I'm better off not improving myself, because if I try to do that, I'll end up analyzing myself more than I already do, and that sucks.

What makes me feel better... is usually making someone else feel better. So improving myself doesn't help me.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    On the topic of self-censorship...I'm actually a rather blunt NFP. I'm not really big on self-censorship. The only reason I ever even practice it is because I respect, like, or love other people. Sometimes I do self-censorship just to save myself the hassle of having to deal with someone's reaction. But usually I'm not a fan of self-censorship, no. My one tattoo is a lizard with a Mandarin symbol that means "sincere." It's a tangible reference to my strong feelings on the matter. So I guess what I'm saying is don't censor yourself unless you get to a point where you're just brutalizing others for no reason. There's a balance. And it's okay to go from one extreme to the other temporarily in seeking that balance.

Also, I don't necessarily agree with this poster's manner of telling you this, but I do agree that sometimes cookies and DVDs are the way to go. Sometimes you just have to enjoy your life. You're here.
    I agree entirely.

But there is no "objective" purpose in life, I agree with Athenian in that regard.

However, to dispose myself to predestined stagnation is to do a disservice to generations after me because I want to help society. I need to do something to enlighten those around me and improve them.

From a birds-eye perspective, this is a hopeless cause. But I honestly don't care.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3dj0I-tozU"]Rock N Roll Will Never Die![/YOUTUBE]

Hey hey, my my
    Rock and roll can never die
    There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye.
    Hey hey, my my.

Out of the blue and into the black
    You pay for this, but they give you that
    And once you're gone, you can't come back
    When you're out of the blue and into the black.

The king is gone but he's not forgotten
    Is this the story of johnny rotten?
    It's better to burn out 'cause rust never sleeps
    The king is gone but he's not forgotten.

Hey hey, my my
    Rock and roll can never die
    There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye.

EDIT:
    What makes me feel better... is usually making someone else feel better. So improving myself doesn't help me.
    Wouldn't it be more effective to improve oneself to ensure the imrovement of others is more efficient?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Perfect is overrated, so is idealism.
    Exactly.

Mystic, I think you just over analyzed being human.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

A bit of idealism and perfectionism is healthy. You don't get far being sane and grounded.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I love INTJs.

They're totally self-centered...
    Sometimes I wonder if I found some crazy INTJs and the rest of them are how you guys describe them.

Anyway... it is good to grow past feeling like you can't hurt anyone's feelings, but I would be careful about accepting many of the views I see on the forum, which are mainly "pretend that it's better to be rude than nice."

You need to learn to balance your concern for other people's feelings with being "real"

Don't forget that everything that comes out of everyon's mouth is filtered, we all have to choose to say anything we say. Learning to deal with "hurting" people in a healthy way is a hard thing to do, and it does come with age. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater though.

I pretty much think your whole OP is trying to change yourself to fit into just another mold.

MBTI
    IXFP

I have been lying to myself and those around me because I can't even handle the truth.
    Lying to the people around you in moderation is perfectly normal and healthy. As long as they are white lies. Lying to yourself is a BIG PROBLEM. You should always be aware of the reasoning behind your actions and be honest with yourself. This is a way to prolong problems in your life and may even turn into bigger problems if you keep on running away from it.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Mystic, sounds like you've got a little Fe in you- the function that is more concerned (and injured) by lack of social etiquette, then what actually is. This is OKAY. I understand that the truth with all NFs really does need to be sugar coated.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I have realized that almost everything I say is sugar-coated, wretched, or manipulative in nature. Everything. I have also realized that blunt honesty can be just as helpful as encouragement.

This may seem like a no-brainer, but it opens up many, many possible explanations as to why our culture is the way it is, and why I need to change.

-Most of the time, we must avoid stepping on people's toes because we are afraid of conflict.

-But why are we afraid of conflict? Was it manifested by childhood experiences? Is it ingrained into our very nature as human-beings?

-Have we developed self-censorship as a species because we cannot handle the truth that everything is faulty, and we are often powerless to change it?

I have been lying to myself and those around me because I can't even handle the truth.

I don't even want to add emoticons to this thread, because I know that they are simply tools used to manipulate the psyches of readers.

I'm extremely tempted to add a "cry" emote here. NO!

I am putting this in the NF section because it seems that we are the most susceptible to use interpersonal manipulation.
    Understanding the fear of conflict is easy. Man is a social animal - losing the protection of the herd is costly. One must often choose between personal integrity and personal safety.

You are right, most people can't handle the truth. And perhaps that is the reason we shouldn't offer it to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

And reminiscing in the inevitability of death gives one an excuse to never try and make something of their life. To never inspire those around them. To never help those in need.
    Bollocks. Put yourself in a life threatening situation. You might see how much you haven't done, and you'll find this new motivation to get your shit together.

I speak from experience. Not really; my point would be better stressed, though.

I respect you all as people, and your opinions are interesting. But, if I may interject:

Lying to the people around you in moderation is perfectly normal and healthy. As long as they are white lies.
    No. Be truthful. Lies are not healthy; lies destroy. Stop sugar-coating; start being honest. If something must be sugar-coated in order to be said, don't say it. It's not worth it. At all.

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    A bit of idealism and perfectionism is healthy. You don't get far being sane and grounded.
    Ah. Thank you. One of my favorite quotes: "You can't kick ass with both feet on the ground!"

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Understanding the fear of conflict is easy. Man is a social animal - losing the protection of the herd is costly. One must often choose between personal integrity and personal safety.

You are right, most people can't handle the truth. And perhaps that is the reason we shouldn't offer it to them.
    Very true. +1. Don't give someone something they can't handle. Honesty is hurtful in many ways; you may find keeping it to yourself is beneficial.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3