User Tag List

First 123

Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. #21
    Senior Member Synapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Socionics
    INFp
    Posts
    3,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    What if their convictions are incorrect and they are presented with evidence as such? Would a healthy INFP be in denial?
    Didn't think that through good question, yes will most likely be in denial. Stubbornly fighting the ego mind, resisting change. Then that will lead to self doubt and mistrust in their values and beliefs should they be unable to reconcile the difference adequately to accommodate the truth sense.

  2. #22
    78% me Eruca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Didn't think that through good question, yes will most likely be in denial. Stubbornly fighting the ego mind, resisting change. Then that will lead to self doubt and mistrust in their values and beliefs should they be unable to reconcile the difference adequately to accommodate the truth sense.
    I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

    Your sentence structure gave me a nose bleed.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

  3. #23
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
    Didn't think that through good question, yes will most likely be in denial. Stubbornly fighting the ego mind, resisting change. Then that will lead to self doubt and mistrust in their values and beliefs should they be unable to reconcile the difference adequately to accommodate the truth sense.
    We are talking about a balanced INFP... I don't think they'd have the issue of "denial -> self doubt -> mistrust of fundamental values" quite as much, as they are balanced enough to lean on other functions. I think they'd be more open to data as long as it was presented properly, and would be able to adjust (not necessarily completely change) accordingly.

    It's a tricky situation, though, for the ambitious INFP who wishes to share their convictions and ideals. Part of what makes an INFP so effective in creating change is our ability to use our inner strength to forge past inevitable real world resistance. That's where we get our backbone.

    The downside of that is when we go off path, it's really difficult to get us back on track. That same strength becomes our undoing.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    I get that wasn't exactly the point of the thread but I'll admit that more so than other types I have a hard time figuring out just what makes an INFP feel content for extended periods of time.


    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    A truly balanced NFP appears neither E nor I because the Ne and Fi functions are given totally equal influence in one's perspective and approach.
    What about tertiary and inferior functions?


    You just made me realize I'm quite happy with my Ne/Fi balance but that still isn't quite enough to deal with every possible scenario. I have no real reason to back it up I guess...but I do think that improving one's tertiary and accepting the validity of your inferior as used by others (without deluding oneself into hoping to make it a useful tool in the long run) is the way to go.

  5. #25
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    You just made me realize I'm quite happy with my Ne/Fi balance but that still isn't quite enough to deal with every possible scenario. I have no real reason to back it up I guess...but I do think that improving one's tertiary and accepting the validity of your inferior as used by others (without deluding oneself into hoping to make it a useful tool in the long run) is the way to go.
    Why do you believe it's delusional to think we will be able to use the inferior as a useful tool?

  6. #26
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Why do you believe it's delusional to think we will be able to use the inferior as a useful tool?
    Well, I don't really. I mean, in theory it would be like developing tertiary only harder. But I think it might just have to do with a lot more work at a subconscious level unlike the (imo) more conscious effort needed to improve one's tertiary.

    The way I see it we have more conscious control over our auxiliary and tertiary than our primary and inferior. Improving Si for a Ne-dominant is a bit of a fool's errand because it's in direct opposition to the most fundamental personality trait they possess. Well...improving substantially.

  7. #27
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Well, I don't really. I mean, in theory it would be like developing tertiary only harder. But I think it might just have to do with a lot more work at a subconscious level unlike the (imo) more conscious effort needed to improve one's tertiary.

    The way I see it we have more conscious control over our auxiliary and tertiary than our primary and inferior. Improving Si for a Ne-dominant is a bit of a fool's errand because it's in direct opposition to the most fundamental personality trait they possess. Well...improving substantially.
    Isn't that where balance comes in, though? Ne gets balanced out by Si?

    In my observations, each function has certain skills and techniques that can be adapted. For example, Si could be observing social norms and structure, or trying to have an appreciation for the past and how it could be relevant to the future. It's theoretically possible to learn some of those aspects as a technique.

    You'll never have mastery of Si like an ISxJ, but that's not the point. I think inferior will generally be a bit clumsy, but balance comes when there's at least some use of it.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] What does an unhealthy INFP look like?
    By KarenParker in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 252
    Last Post: 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM
  2. [E3] what does an enfp 3w4 sp/sx look like
    By 2XtremeENFP in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-15-2016, 11:32 PM
  3. What would a UK outside the EU look like?
    By Olm the Water King in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-07-2015, 08:32 PM
  4. [INFP] What does a non-self focused Fi look like?
    By Blackout in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-05-2015, 10:56 AM
  5. [E4] What does an ISFP with enneagram 4w5 look like?
    By IndyGhost in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-01-2011, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO