123 Last

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default NFP, how do you read?

Right, just curious about a me-curiosity and wondering if it was a singular one or one attached to type (or possibly ADD [yes, it's real] or left handedness).

Right. So, I read out of order.
    That is, I start a book, skip a couple of pages, or chapters ahead, read, and go back. Or don't go back. I usually skip to the end of tests about six questions in and take the test backwards, or in a backwards-forwards way where I answer a few questions on one page, until I'm bored or frustrated, and go to another. I do it with online quizzes too (as much as I'm able, I hate those ones that won't let me go on to the next until I've answered what I've been asked). I read articles in a disordered way as well. It's very rare that I read something strait through, beginning to end. Usually I am trying very hard to look or feel intelligent when I read that way.

I also write out of order, or so I'm told. It rarely seems out of order to me but my professors and classmates at university would say my essays and stories were jumbled. All the right stuff was there but in all the wrong order.

Does this happen with you other NFPers as well?
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

I will do this when I cannot focus on the material and do not intend on reading it completely. Mostly though I read things start to finish, reading quickly if I find it boring.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Right, just curious about a me-curiosity and wondering if it was a singular one or one attached to type (or possibly ADD [yes, it's real] or left handedness).

Right. So, I read out of order.
    That is, I start a book, skip a couple of pages, or chapters ahead, read, and go back. Or don't go back. I usually skip to the end of tests about six questions in and take the test backwards, or in a backwards-forwards way where I answer a few questions on one page, until I'm bored or frustrated, and go to another. I do it with online quizzes too (as much as I'm able, I hate those ones that won't let me go on to the next until I've answered what I've been asked). I read articles in a disordered way as well. It's very rare that I read something strait through, beginning to end. Usually I am trying very hard to look or feel intelligent when I read that way.

I also write out of order, or so I'm told. It rarely seems out of order to me but my professors and classmates at university would say my essays and stories were jumbled. All the right stuff was there but in all the wrong order.

Does this happen with you other NFPers as well?
    yes!!!! never met anyone else who did this!! it's like i have little patience for steps i want all the info at once as fast as possible and almost see it as one mass instead of having parts...wait that doesn't make sense...but yes...i usually read the back of the book...the middle to see if i like it and them start at the beginning and will decide i'm ready for the end before i get there...and i do it in sentences too or posts...middle first last usually...and very often i read words totally backward i feel like i have to make an effort to slow down and read left to right...i think it just pertains to words that make others backward though...like just a sec ago i read was as saw....and did that thing where i had to pause and slow down...weird! or maybe it's normal ha! i have no idea
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I read a book for a very short period and then stop. I am not a start to finish'er when it comes to novels, it grinds on my attention span like no other. I like reading in short, digestible chunks. I also jump around on tests and things.

This is why I like the internet, I can read something quickly and then jump around to other tabs when I get bored.

MBTI
    UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I read a book for a very short period and then stop. I am not a start to finish'er when it comes to novels, it grinds on my attention span like no other. I like reading in short, digestible chunks. I also jump around on tests and things.

This is why I like the internet, I can read something quickly and then jump around to other tabs when I get bored.
    This exactly!

However, I'm not a jumper when it comes to novels, I just HAVE to read from start to finish, I don't like spoilers I guess lol. It takes me forever to finish a novel though, maybe because I'm also "reading" five other books at the same time.

Oh, yeah I also write out of order too. Well I mean, if I'm writing something, I don't really follow a structured route(unless I already have it written in my head), for instance I may have this idea of a paragraph that's meant to be in the middle and I go ahead and write it, then maybe I'll write the ending etc.

MBTI
    INFP

Definately. Online I tend to have several tabs open and I read a few paragraphs on one then jump to the next.

Whoever said they read as one big chunk, I agree with that. I love to read, but I easily become impatient when it takes too long to get all of the information. I also have a bad habit of, when trying to fight my attention span and just read, I zone out really badly and have to constantly back track.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I do that too! I adore Question-Answer format books because they allow me to jump around as I please without missing any material. I also take tests/quizzes backwards or out of order.

I refuse to skip around while reading normal books, however.

I'm more motivated to read when I have a general overview of the plot. Maybe it gives me something to look forward to during dull sections? It's hard for me to read something all the way through, unless I'm obsessed with the plot and finish the book within a couple of days. I HATE reading things in pieces; it's all or nothing. Usually, I'm obsessed with a book for a day or two, get distracted by life, and don't touch it again for months.
    Everybody needs love.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Mmm-hm.

I write out of order like dotdalidot does, and I take test backwards like you, briochick+.
    But generally I read something out of order because it's dull or I'm too anxious about what's on the next page to actually read it in order from beginning to end.

I agree with cybin about having several tabs open at once. I like to get my information quickly yet thoroughly like Adoamros.

See how I did that? I credited everyone.

Last edited by neptunesnet; 10-17-2009 at 02:40 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I do this most frequently with text books when I have to do a great deal of factual reading for a class. I enjoy doing this, too, with non-fiction self-help books which I sometimes read for pleasure.

However, when it comes to novels I am a traditional hard-core reader, and I would never think of skipping around or reading the end before I got there which would spoil the whole story IMO. I love to read novels, so I approach them very differently. If I get an urge to "jump around" a novel the chances are that I just hate that book and have a very slim chance of even finishing it. I'll usually just abandon a novel in that case, unless it's something I must read for a class.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I read with my head, my mind, and my body.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?