• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NFP, how do you read?

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yes, used to read ordinarily and now I jump around, its a natural adjustment to the way the mind is at the moment. I like to get the gist of a book by skimming the pages then start from the chapter I want to rather than in sequence.

And besides you know in Japan their books start back to front.

MrRandom88

MBTI Type
INFP
anytime the subject of "reading" pops up i often say with a straight face "yeh it's too bad I can't read."

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
The first time I read a book I just read it as was intended, not your dang crazy AD/HD reading;) As I read I tend to underline, write comments in the margin, put a little tab to remember that page so I can re-read it later. I think this practice came about because I am an English major and that's what we do. So even if I am reading summer fluff it looks as though I am writing my thesis on some shitty paperback.:D After the initial reading however, I re-read it, jumping around or just the passages I marked. When I am sad, I will often read the saddest parts in every book I own (because I'm chill like that).

gromit

likes this
Yes, with fiction/stories/narrative books, I will read front to back, but I actually tend to prefer abstract, sort of theoretical-type books, books about concepts. When I read those, I will jump around and read the chapters that stand out to me at the time, sometimes sentences or paragraphs only, like just flipping through and seeing what looks interesting.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I just read from front to back, I believe.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm generally still a front-to-back reader for fiction. When I was younger I would sometimes do a check later in the book, to make sure the characters I liked were still alive (just so I wouldn't get too emotionally invested in a doomed character).

For non-fiction I occasionally skip around a bit, but generally front-to-backish.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NFPs move their lips while reading.

heart

heart on fire
I'll skim the first time and then go back and re-read slowly in detail. I'll read things through several times. Especially fiction.

sculpting

I'm generally still a front-to-back reader for fiction. When I was younger I would sometimes do a check later in the book, to make sure the characters I liked were still alive (just so I wouldn't get too emotionally invested in a doomed character).

For non-fiction I occasionally skip around a bit, but generally front-to-backish.

Seymour that is really sweet! I stopped reading Stephan King as he kept killing off all the nice people. It's like some sort of literary technique.

Novels I read straight through. But I read them very quickly. I actually read about three sentences at the same time, catching words from each one. Or even whole paragraphs picking out specific words. Then I reassemble the story in my head?

Technical books I will read more slowly, but still multiple sentences at a time.

sillylittlemouse

MBTI Type
INFX
Enneagram
Mostly when I'm reading a novel I dont jump about too much. I'll often find myself reading a page or a paragraph completely out of order but I couldn't do it with the whole book.
With non-fiction stuff however, it's completely different. When I'm reading internet blogs, magazine articles or textbooks I'll skip about like crazy. And when I'm online I almost always have 15 + tabs open at any one time and flick through them every few minutes because my attention span can be ridiculously short.

"" I'm generally still a front-to-back reader for fiction. When I was younger I would sometimes do a check later in the book, to make sure the characters I liked were still alive (just so I wouldn't get too emotionally invested in a doomed character). ""

I do this ALL the time. Especially if I'm reading something like a battle scene, I have to know who dies and who lives before I read it through. I dont feel it "spoils" the story or anything, I just like to emotionally prepare myself if that makes sense?

Like, just before I read the last Harry Potter book, I wrote out a list of all the characters I thought would either die or live and then went on Wikipedia to find out the actual list and compared it to my own. I got alot right actually, but that's beside the point. I deliberately didn't probe into how they died or any other aspects of the plot before reading it, but I just had to know if they'd survive the end.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Right, just curious about a me-curiosity and wondering if it was a singular one or one attached to type (or possibly ADD [yes, it's real] or left handedness).

Right. So, I read out of order.
That is, I start a book, skip a couple of pages, or chapters ahead, read, and go back. Or don't go back. I usually skip to the end of tests about six questions in and take the test backwards, or in a backwards-forwards way where I answer a few questions on one page, until I'm bored or frustrated, and go to another. I do it with online quizzes too (as much as I'm able, I hate those ones that won't let me go on to the next until I've answered what I've been asked). I read articles in a disordered way as well. It's very rare that I read something strait through, beginning to end. Usually I am trying very hard to look or feel intelligent when I read that way.

I also write out of order, or so I'm told. It rarely seems out of order to me but my professors and classmates at university would say my essays and stories were jumbled. All the right stuff was there but in all the wrong order.

Does this happen with you other NFPers as well?

Not at all! I actually hate the idea of reading out of order. I also know people who like to read the last page first and people who like watching movies and tv shows after reading the whole synopsis ie *SPOILER ALERT* which I also don't get. I also have no interest in how my fictional entertainment is created and I'm not that much more interested in the personal lives of the creators unless I'm especially taken by a body of their work. Those 'behind the scenes' specials and 'making of' specials are not my cup of tea and I was surprised that people would be interested in such a thing.

I'm more likely to scan quickly through less interesting parts of a book but I pretty much devour books in a linear fashion because that's how I figure they're meant to be read and understood by the author.

I'm interested solely in the experience that's being presented and packaged to me - I'm pretty simple that way when it comes to reading/watching movies, etc. :p

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read the first couple of chapters then maybe skip to the end and then read middle, some times, if I really liked the book, I'll reread in sequential order.
I also had trouble writing essays in sequential order, that was apparently my biggest weakness.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I read magazines and nonfiction out of order usually. I'll look through the table of contents and look for something that catches my eye. If I find that each chapter or article is built on what's previously said, though, I'll read it right like a good little girl. But with fiction I never jump around.

I write out of order, though. I usually start at the middle-ish (closer to the end), then go back and fill in those awful beginning bits (I hate writing beginnings.) Pretty much I always start with dialogue and fill in everything else later. Then I show people and wonder why they're confused. :D Telling stories is the same too.

Maybe it's my N tendency of anticipating the outworking of events without necessarily paying attention to the details of the events, combined with my P tendency to do whatever the heck I want, haha!

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
too funny! i do this too! i want to find out what will happen and i'm impatient. i skim to the end... so then i can relax as i reread through what i missed the first time around.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I spend most of it running on memorized assumptions and shape verification.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
for is named "random" someone surprising That's who.