User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram

Mostly when I'm reading a novel I dont jump about too much. I'll often find myself reading a page or a paragraph completely out of order but I couldn't do it with the whole book.
    With non-fiction stuff however, it's completely different. When I'm reading internet blogs, magazine articles or textbooks I'll skip about like crazy. And when I'm online I almost always have 15 + tabs open at any one time and flick through them every few minutes because my attention span can be ridiculously short.

"" I'm generally still a front-to-back reader for fiction. When I was younger I would sometimes do a check later in the book, to make sure the characters I liked were still alive (just so I wouldn't get too emotionally invested in a doomed character). ""

I do this ALL the time. Especially if I'm reading something like a battle scene, I have to know who dies and who lives before I read it through. I dont feel it "spoils" the story or anything, I just like to emotionally prepare myself if that makes sense?

Like, just before I read the last Harry Potter book, I wrote out a list of all the characters I thought would either die or live and then went on Wikipedia to find out the actual list and compared it to my own. I got alot right actually, but that's beside the point. I deliberately didn't probe into how they died or any other aspects of the plot before reading it, but I just had to know if they'd survive the end.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Right, just curious about a me-curiosity and wondering if it was a singular one or one attached to type (or possibly ADD [yes, it's real] or left handedness).

Right. So, I read out of order.
    That is, I start a book, skip a couple of pages, or chapters ahead, read, and go back. Or don't go back. I usually skip to the end of tests about six questions in and take the test backwards, or in a backwards-forwards way where I answer a few questions on one page, until I'm bored or frustrated, and go to another. I do it with online quizzes too (as much as I'm able, I hate those ones that won't let me go on to the next until I've answered what I've been asked). I read articles in a disordered way as well. It's very rare that I read something strait through, beginning to end. Usually I am trying very hard to look or feel intelligent when I read that way.

I also write out of order, or so I'm told. It rarely seems out of order to me but my professors and classmates at university would say my essays and stories were jumbled. All the right stuff was there but in all the wrong order.

Does this happen with you other NFPers as well?
    Not at all! I actually hate the idea of reading out of order. I also know people who like to read the last page first and people who like watching movies and tv shows after reading the whole synopsis ie *SPOILER ALERT* which I also don't get. I also have no interest in how my fictional entertainment is created and I'm not that much more interested in the personal lives of the creators unless I'm especially taken by a body of their work. Those 'behind the scenes' specials and 'making of' specials are not my cup of tea and I was surprised that people would be interested in such a thing.

I'm more likely to scan quickly through less interesting parts of a book but I pretty much devour books in a linear fashion because that's how I figure they're meant to be read and understood by the author.

I'm interested solely in the experience that's being presented and packaged to me - I'm pretty simple that way when it comes to reading/watching movies, etc. :P
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I read the first couple of chapters then maybe skip to the end and then read middle, some times, if I really liked the book, I'll reread in sequential order.
    I also had trouble writing essays in sequential order, that was apparently my biggest weakness.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I read magazines and nonfiction out of order usually. I'll look through the table of contents and look for something that catches my eye. If I find that each chapter or article is built on what's previously said, though, I'll read it right like a good little girl. But with fiction I never jump around.

I write out of order, though. I usually start at the middle-ish (closer to the end), then go back and fill in those awful beginning bits (I hate writing beginnings.) Pretty much I always start with dialogue and fill in everything else later. Then I show people and wonder why they're confused. Telling stories is the same too.

Maybe it's my N tendency of anticipating the outworking of events without necessarily paying attention to the details of the events, combined with my P tendency to do whatever the heck I want, haha!
    Just because I'm an INFP doesn't mean I'm emo!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

too funny! i do this too! i want to find out what will happen and i'm impatient. i skim to the end... so then i can relax as i reread through what i missed the first time around.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I spend most of it running on memorized assumptions and shape verification.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

how do i read?

one word at a time!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by MrRandom88 View Post
    how do i read?

one word at a time!
    But as Mr Random, do you read them in any particular order?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    But as Mr Random, do you read them in any particular order?
    alphabetical!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

for is named "random" someone surprising That's who.