First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yep.

I usually read novels in order, but I've been guilty of skipping to the end and then going back to read the rest (a la Harry in When Harry Met Sally, haha).

When it comes to non-fiction, then I am all over the place in a book.
    In articles and things like that, I tend to do a pre-scan, glean what I want, and if it's really interesting I might read it all through. Magazines are never read front to back...I especially read interviews out of order. I will start in the middle, go the end, return to the start. I think this is because the meat is usually in the middle of almost any writing.

I totally write out of order. Thank goodness for computers....I tend to jump to different paragraphs of my post as thoughts come to me, and I copy and paste to put my posts in order. Not just whole sentences, but even the structure of the sentence may get rearranged. Unfortunately, that can cause errors like leaving a connecting word out....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

If it's something heavily chronologically-dependent (such as a book that builds on concepts as it goes along), then I can read front to back.

However, most nonfiction, I will open up to a random page and start reading. Then I'll back up a bit, read some more, jump here and there, to and fro, slowly filling in all the gaps. I do this naturally, without even realizing it.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Always straight through, beginning to end.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Cybin View Post
    I love to read, but I easily become impatient when it takes too long to get all of the information. I also have a bad habit of, when trying to fight my attention span and just read, I zone out really badly and have to constantly back track.
    I love your avatar.

I am exactly like that. I've wished that there was a pump where all the information could just be put into my brain directly, because I want to *know* but I'm patient with the time it takes to learn.
    I also zone out (and this response is unique because usually I go from the last sentence to the first and I'm going from first to last this time, mostly cuz I'm thinking about it) so whenever I've read something through I feel like I've read it twice through. It can also make me seem like a slow reader, but that's just because I loose my place so often!
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

I read with the book in front of my face while turning each page in consecutive order, usually while seated.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

i normally read a few sentences of the beginning, and if i find it boring, i just skip a few pages/chapters and start off from there, skipping any boring material but not so many pages that i dont know whats happening. i might go back to a certain section if i didnt get what was happening

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    Right, just curious about a me-curiosity and wondering if it was a singular one or one attached to type (or possibly ADD [yes, it's real] or left handedness).

Right. So, I read out of order.
    That is, I start a book, skip a couple of pages, or chapters ahead, read, and go back. Or don't go back. I usually skip to the end of tests about six questions in and take the test backwards, or in a backwards-forwards way where I answer a few questions on one page, until I'm bored or frustrated, and go to another. I do it with online quizzes too (as much as I'm able, I hate those ones that won't let me go on to the next until I've answered what I've been asked). I read articles in a disordered way as well. It's very rare that I read something strait through, beginning to end. Usually I am trying very hard to look or feel intelligent when I read that way.

I also write out of order, or so I'm told. It rarely seems out of order to me but my professors and classmates at university would say my essays and stories were jumbled. All the right stuff was there but in all the wrong order.

Does this happen with you other NFPers as well?

a website
    When reading
    i usually just skip around.

pretty frustrating sometimes
    The process of reading is actually
    because while im reading I don't seem to process the exact meaning of it right away and ill have to go back and reread it ya know?

there...I wrote my post in such a way that you'll understand it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Weirdness. I love flipping through my reading materials from back to front just to get a feel for what I'm getting into. If it's a biography book or a spiritual philosophy related type book, I like to skip around to find inspired quotes of the day.

When taking online quizes, I like to start them from bottom up- makes me feel lucky for some reason. heheh

When reading textbooks, I like to create a mind-map just to get the gyst of topics covered- then I skim and look at captions underneath pictures/graphs. Basically, if it's dry reading material, I need different ways of absorbing the literature- music combined with quick jots, or with my TV on.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    Weirdness. I love flipping through my reading materials from back to front just to get a feel for what I'm getting into. If it's a biography book or a spiritual philosophy related type book, I like to skip around to find inspired quotes of the day.

When taking online quizes, I like to start them from bottom up- makes me feel lucky for some reason. heheh

When reading textbooks, I like to create a mind-map just to get the gyst of topics covered- then I skim and look at captions underneath pictures/graphs. Basically, if it's dry reading material, I need different ways of absorbing the literature- music combined with quick jots, or with my TV on.
    wow...kinda trippin out that so many of us do this!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I read most things in a random order...unless it's something where the story is important, like a novel or whatever. (I really like stories that aren't chronological though...makes up for the fact that I'm having to read in order. hahaha)

I also take tests/quizzes in random order. (I always have to go through them at the end to make sure I answered everything. )

I'm a pretty bad writer, for many reasons, but disorder/disorganization is definitely one of my big weaknesses.

I don't think I was like this when I was younger. I think the internet did it to me.