User Tag List

First 2345 Last

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    And yet, typing out the phrase "can't talk" is so onerous. Please. I don't care how terrible of a mood you're in, you should be considerate of others.

Is it so terrible to explain the situation after the fact to reassure that person? We're not mindreaders, you know.
    Wait. I thought the whole point of text as a medium is that you don't have to respond immediately. If it is just conversational and you don't phone I'll assume you can wait a few hours.

If you want to talk why don't you just phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Wait. I thought the whole point of text as a medium is that you don't have to respond immediately. If it is just conversational and you don't phone I'll assume you can wait a few hours.

Well, if he really likes someone and they're ignoring his text for a day and a half, I actually see his point.

I think that's what's going here. I wonder if he gets this upset if his sister or dad or whatever doesn't text him back within the hour.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

marmalade I see you pointed out the elephant in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Is this about a girl?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post

I usually would... except no one seems to pick up their cell phone anymore.

Well, if he really likes someone and they're ignoring his text for a day and a half, I actually see his point.

I think that's what's going here. I wonder if he gets this upset if his sister or dad or whatever doesn't text him back within the hour.
    No... it's that I have terrible working memory, so if I don't get to something when I'm thinking about it, I'll forget about it pretty soon, and then be pissed off when you do respond, because I completely forgot why I texted you in the first place. And yes, it might have been really, really important, but I'll still forget. Or, when the text does finally come in, I'm in the middle of something and have to switch gears back to where I was when I texted in the first place, or may be unavailable at that time.

If it's a girl that I like, I have neither of those problems, because Si kicks in with a vengeance.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Or, when the text does finally come in, I'm in the middle of something and have to switch gears back to where I was when I texted in the first place, or may be unavailable at that time.
    Because people should always be available when YOU are available, and switch gears when YOU want them to.

I see.

If it's a girl that I like, I have neither of those problems, because Si kicks in with a vengeance.
    What does Si have to do with girls answering your text messages in a timely manner?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    And what about the sender of the message, who cares for him ?

I think all y'all just need some hugs.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Because people should always be available when YOU are available, and switch gears when YOU want them to.

I see.
    "Can't talk" takes like ten seconds maximum. "Sorry, I was working" takes like fifteen. If asking for ten or fifteen seconds of someone's time is so selfish of me, well, maybe that person is better off with friends who are more willing to conform to their exact needs.

I'm not asking someone to drop everything for me. Just show that you give a damn about my friendship.

What does Si have to do with girls answering your text messages in a timely manner?
    I'll have been thinking about them all day and obsessing over the girl to the point that it won't matter what the topic was going to be at that particular moment, or more likely, I'll remember it immediately.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj

I always respond to texts as soon as possible. It's not a big deal to me at all. I don't currently have a usable phone, but when I get the one I want, I'll have a prepaid unlimited everything plan, so cost wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm rarely ever too busy to be able to respond.

The only time I won't respond is if someone is sending me some stupid forwarded message that's supposed to be funny/clever, like text versions of chain emails. I don't bother with them.
    Enneagram 9w1 sp/so
    [sigpic][/sigpic]

Doesn't it also depend on the nature of the text? I get lots of blather, totally non-serious stuff, and my one friend always wants to talk so I avoid the texts for fear it will stick me on the phone for two or three hours. Anyone I fear spending that much time on the phone with gets the 'ignore/avoid' option until I seriously have time and the extraversion.

Otherwise, quick questions and things like that, I love those. If it doesn't mean I'm obligated to call and chat it up about something someone needs, awesome, I'm all over that. It's quick, it allows me to be there efficiently, and it doesn't compromise my introversion time. It's texts with questions or at least semi-important stuff that I do not, will not ignore. Do other INFJs?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

Hell, I'm an ENFJ, and I still agree with that. ^
    Love is the point.