User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I liked doing proofs in geometry because it was about using words and logic to describe pictures.

I hate math with numbers because I can't keep the numbers straight. It feels like numbers don't have any real meaning, and I have to think really hard to remember what they stand for. They seem to twist around and switch places and stuff. I look at a word and it has a hundred different shades of meaning; I look at a number and I have to think very hard to recall its significance.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I found equations, logic problems, formulas, and things like that fairly easy, but I had a lot of trouble with graphs and shapes. Sometimes I sort of "cheated," and used a series of equations/tables to solve the problem without a graph, and then just copied the graph from my calculator after telling it what to graph. And of course the teacher couldn't tell what method I used, so...

I found most of it extremely boring, and didn't care much for it, but I didn't actually have trouble understanding it when I focused.

Enneagram
    1w2

I liked Geometry and Trigonometry. Geometry and Trigonometry did not like me, but my teachers did. HATE HATED HATED algebra. Absolutely HATED it.

The best part of math was my brand new TI-83 that I got somebody to put Tetris on. How many tests I would've passed had I been paying attention instead of playing Tetris is like wondering how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie pop.

Now, I'll remember random stuff from math classes like unions, the Pythagorean Theorem, and asymptotes. Very strange dreams.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I loved math, overall, but I didn't like geometry (proofs were soooooo boring, I hated physically writing out all those steps). I LOVED algebra and calculus. They just made sense to me. I never even had to try.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    math is a spawn of satan.
    Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm definitely a math person. I was always a differential equations fan.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

My INFP bro is a math whiz; so is my INFP friend. They both enjoy it, I think.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP

Default I'm a self-professed formula-holic...

I actually enjoyed math and algebra in school. Unfortunately, I haven't been all that good in math over the years... I'm very forgetful, and I trust the calculator WAY more than my own calculations (even very simple calculations which is very depressing).

Do you know what, though? I am fascinated beyond words with Excel and FORMULAS! I have to admit that I have and will spend an inordinate amount of time building complicated structured formulas for my Excel spreadsheets at work. I will lose my mind with happiness and will be jumping up and down and hooping and hollering when I find the right combination for a formula that I am needing (of course, all of this is in my mind... never EVER out loud!) I know, I know... I am so strange.

My mathamatician boyfriend (INTP) loves it, though, because he loves spreadsheets and formulas as much as I do (YIPPEE!!!) He has been so helpful feeding my formula obsession! For someone who isn't good at math, I have figured out formulas pretty well. Go figure...
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INTP

A close friend of mine is an INFJ. He sucks at arithmetic, especially of the mental-calculation variety. He really enjoys advanced graduate mathematics.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lbloom View Post
    A close friend of mine is an INFJ. He sucks at arithmetic, especially of the mental-calculation variety. He really enjoys advanced graduate mathematics.
    Oh dear god, I'm horrible at mental arithmetic. And I hate it! Because it makes me sound like a retard who doesn't know how add/subtract...etc. I don't know why, but my ability to do math in my head has slipped drastically in the last few years. Guess it's just not that important that I don't use it enough.

However, I did love trigonometric proofs in high school. About the only type of calculus that I became "close" friends with. The rest of it was a constant battle against my inherent abilities. I still did well, though, and mildly enjoyed the experience. But that doesn't mean I didn't fail a good number of tests.