User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Idealism

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Idealism

I've been trying to prioritize elements of my life, but I don't have any reliable scale to measure against. When I consider means and ends, each end only becomes a mean again. I guess it ends at sustainable happiness? But for me, happiness is not sustainable, and to attain my goals is to destroy the very hope I have enjoyed, as I am forced to compare reality with my ideals, and therefore to be disappointed. And so to bypass the inevitable transitoriness of happiness, I must approach the realization of my visions constantly, with their fulfillment as my perceived objective, while allowing conditions to be such that this realization can never occur. Though I would have been hesitant to admit it at first, my own reason has nevertheless forced me to conclude that fruit is sweetest before it is ever picked.
    An inscription above the gate to Hell:
    "Eternal Love also created me"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

right...we're hopeless.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Into It View Post
    Though I would have been hesitant to admit it at first, my own reason has nevertheless forced me to conclude that fruit is sweetest before it is ever picked.
    Agreed. Too true. There's never enough, always the need for more and more once you "get" that something you strive towards.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    EIE

Oh wow I recognize myself in that soo much!!! ;o

"fruit is sweetest before it is ever picked. "
    I agree!! SOO TRUE

yes.

I am endlessly driven to push myself further and become more, yet once I am there I can never meet my own expectations for what I should be.

A never ending cycle of self improvement and pressure to keep going. Like chasing a carrot that gets endlessly strung along in front of me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Wow. This is exactly how I've been feeling. I couldn't figure out why I kind of have these goals/dreams and I have a passion to reach them, but no desire to REALLY get there. It's like I'm scared they're not going to be like how I pictured it in my head. I'd rather have the dream to think about all day long...

Kinda depressing... but now the question is...

How do we fix this?
    Last edited by 2XtremeENFP; 10-11-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: edit

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Idealism for me is like quicksand. If I don't keep moving it'll suck me in and it is hard to get out of a lot of the time.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Idealism, wouldn't it be awesome to somehow invert this elixir of golden thought outwardly so then there is tangible source to this amazing landscape.

Daydreaming can be beneficial.

Four Top Reasons to Daydream Intentionally -- Starting Today

A daydream is much more than just a silly fantasy to keep you from getting bored at work. Following are some very real benefits that daydreaming has to offer, and if youre interested in securing some of them for yourself, well, you know what to do.

Daydreaming can actually boost your creativity and improve your success!

1. Activate your brains executive network. - This is the area of your brain associated with high-level, complex problem-solving. According to new research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, the less people were aware their minds were wandering, the more this executive network, and also the default network associated with easy, routine mental activity, were activated.

What this means is if youre trying to solve a complicated problem, engaging yourself with a simple task, then letting your mind wander, may help.

2. Improve your relationships and social interactions - When you daydream, your ability to think abstractly flourishes. And most often, we think abstractly about what if scenarios relating to people and social situations in our lives, which may help you to be more empathetic in real life.

3. Boost your creativity - People who engage in more daydreaming score higher on experimental measures of creativity, according to research by Jonathan Schooler, a psychologist at the University of California, Santa Barbara.

4. Increase your success - Daydreaming about achieving a particular goal you have, such as winning an upcoming marathon or getting into grad school, can actually help you achieve it. This type of daydreaming, sometimes called visualization, helps you to become more self-aware, and may actually count as practice to your brain that helps you during the actual event.

Interestingly, studies show the most beneficial type of daydream is the kind where you realize youre doing it.

"Letting your mind drift off is the easy part. The hard part is maintaining enough awareness so that even when you start to daydream you can interrupt yourself and notice a creative insight, Schooler told The Boston Globe.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

^Daydreaming, yes.
    As for fruit being sweeter before it's picked; maybe, until you become able to discern what taste best in your own mouth, and capable of picking the fruit that's right for you when it's most sweet.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Socionics
    ENFj

I too can relate to the reality of always wanting to achieve a goal. To me life just feels empty with out something to strive for. If there is no goals, then what is there for me to do?

This is what the SPs and the NTs are great for. SPs are great at reminding us to appreciate the hear and now and just have fun for a change. The NTs are great at making our ideas more realistic, so we can actually get something done.

I will admit I do get the most excited at the idea of something, but I feel most satisfied when something is completed.