User Tag List

First 12

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

some infps are way better than others at empathizing. it's just bc Ne opens up Fi, otherwise Fi is very narrow and closed and doesn't let a lot thru. the more Ne usage and the less value fixation (ie idealism, etc), the more free-flowing it is the more infps are able to connect their feeling states to everything in the world. Ne and N period increase openness, more perception and less judgment, more acceptance and more listening and less aggressive judgment filtration.

i know some really really open infps who really can seem like enfps, but they're not bc they're sooo introverted and Fi is their first, if not their only major function. Ne is what makes infps brilliant, creative, and artistic. otherwise they're just dorky trapped-introvert versions of isfp without the Se awareness/presence and Se adaptability/style. Ne creates more and more affirmation and acceptance of what is, more possibility, more perspective (more interconnectedness).

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    some infps are way better than others at empathizing. it's just bc Ne opens up Fi, otherwise Fi is very narrow and closed and doesn't let a lot thru. the more Ne usage and the less value fixation (ie idealism, etc), the more free-flowing it is the more infps are able to connect their feeling states to everything in the world. Ne and N period increase openness, more perception and less judgment, more acceptance and more listening and less aggressive judgment filtration.

i know some really really open infps who really can seem like enfps, but they're not bc they're sooo introverted and Fi is their first, if not their only major function. Ne is what makes infps brilliant, creative, and artistic. otherwise they're just dorky trapped-introvert versions of isfp without the Se awareness/presence and Se adaptability/style. Ne creates more and more affirmation and acceptance of what is, more possibility, more perspective (more interconnectedness).

MBTI
    INFP

I feel bad for doing it because I worry it will be misinterpreted as selfishness. When someone is coming to me with their problems, I just need to have as close to an accurate idea in my head as possible of what they are going through. When I do, I try to make that clear. "Well, this happened to me and I felt this way. Does that sound like what you are feeling right now?" Even if I missed the mark, the questions like that sometimes give the other person a good reference point to better describe how they feel.

Otherwise, yes to everything appled said.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    have you ever noticed that INFPs tend to want to relate everything back to something that happened to them or something we know? I've seen this a lot. I can see how it could be interpreted as selfish...
    I do this occasionally, but not too often. Often, if the conversation is abstract enough to warrant clarity, I will simply paraphrase in the selfless abstract. But yeah, I can see how my need to put the concept I was told into my own words could be construed as selfish and/or annoying. Though, I do find that doing this helps the other person know that I understand (plus it may introduce a nuance that may further the discussion). So I don't know; it can be a strength as well as a hindrance.

Also, do really stupid people annoy you? Like, make you want to hit yourself in the head with a shovel just to dull the awareness of the inane drivel coming out of their mouths?
    This is perhaps something we are inclined to, but it can be worked on as we mature. It's the way they are; may as well love 'em for it.

And, why the inclination toward self directed anger when the anger is clearly do to some outside effect?
    Another inclination. We may be defending others by directing negative emotions inward and positive more often outward.

are you pretty much incapable of saying you're truly good at something if it would give you social/economic value?
    Absolutely. This is probably my greatest weakness; the thing that prevents healthy functioning in my society the most. Sigh...

Do people usually tend to not feel strongly about you, but still remember you?
    Yup, but with some notable exceptions.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

have you ever noticed that INFPs tend to want to relate everything back to something that happened to them or something we know? I've seen this a lot. I can see how it could be interpreted as selfish...
    For me, this is simply a way to fit in.

Also, do really stupid people annoy you? Like, make you want to hit yourself in the head with a shovel just to dull the awareness of the inane drivel coming out of their mouths? And, why the inclination toward self directed anger when the anger is clearly do to some outside effect?
    They used to annoy me, but I am learning to not let things like this bother me.

are you pretty much incapable of saying you're truly good at something if it would give you social/economic value?
    If only I knew what it was that I'm truly talented at that would make me shovelfuls of money, I'd shout it from every rooftop.

This may be my distorted self-image talking, but I sense often that people I pass in the supermarket, or on the street, truly do not like me. I usually try to appear friendly and happy, easy-going is a better word. I'm not sure if this is a turn-off or what, but it seems to get a bad reaction. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but it is truly weird. (Like Biaxident, I am unusually kind/friendly to people like cashiers, waiters, etc.)
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yep, I definitely do?...did?...this. I want to give stories or examples that relate to what someone's talking about, to say, "Yeah, I can relate; I understand!", but I'm worried that it looks like I just want to talk about myself. Nobody's accused me of that, but I'm paranoid. So recently I've been trying to scale it back a bit.
    Also, do really stupid people annoy you? Like, make you want to hit yourself in the head with a shovel just to dull the awareness of the inane drivel coming out of their mouths?
    Oh, geez. Stupid people used to piss me off so much I got headaches. But for maybe the past year and a half or so, they don't bother me as much. Fortunately and unfortunately, I've had more important things to worry about.

I think stupid people are so infuriating, at least for me, because they kinda just make you lose faith in humanity.
    I'm uncomfortable saying I'm good at anything for any reason. I'm uncomfortable with praise too. I don't like drawing attention to myself, and I just can't view myself as "good" at anything because I see all my faults.
    I don't really know, but I wish I did.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
    Ralate it back to myself internally, stirr it around, see how it sits with me, yes.
    Yes, I think it's good to point out that the relating is often internal, especially in a serious discussion. I'll usually only talk about myself when I feel it may shed some light on a situation, or if I am trying to clarify where they are coming from. I really, really dislike "one-uppers" .

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post

Judging is a strength though. People seem to think judging equals damning everything, or something like that. It's not always negative. It's getting to the heart of a matter so as to uncover truth.

Dominant perceivers need a judging function to anchor them. What's the point of seeing possibilities if you never choose one or cannot determine what is of value?

And Fi is the source of creativity in an IxFP, even if Ne/Se is used to find an outlet. In Jung's description of Fi, the "primordial images" are just as much feeling-values as they are significant ideas. IxFPs have to find a way to communicate these feelings/ideas in a way that is true to how they feel and arouses the same feelings in others. Obviously, this leans them towards the arts.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe