User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENFP and ADHD/ADD?

Are these somehow tied in together? I feel like I have ADD and I also feel like being an only child also sculpted the type of person I am. If you look up traits of ADD/ADHD symptoms and only children traits, I feel like they sort of relate. But I don't know, just speculating.

MBTI
    enfp

my classmates told me they think i have ADD recently lolz

i thought its more cus i been drinking so often and going out... but i do tend to zone out when its something thats less than exactly what i want to be doing at that time... but its worse now than it was before...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I bet I have ADD. But I know how to control it. When I need to focus, I can. But other than that...I'm gone!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I was "diagnosed" with ADD as a child.

I think it means "you don't pay enough attention to what WE think you should be doing." I really never dismissed ADD/ADHD until I started reading people's theories that it is just because some types don't "fit in" and need to be "medicated" to act how we are "supposed" to.

Just think.. if you weren't "supposed" to be doing school what would you actually excel at? Having tons of energy to get out might work in a low key environment where you just need to have enough energy.

My kid's school has a "favorite" teacher. She is beloved by the children and went to bat for my daughter. My daughter was never worried she would get yelled at for doing the "wrong" thing. The teacher was always a little disorganized.

"ADD" personalities would work perfectly fine in some situations. School just isn't always one of them. I was able to get a mechanical engineering degree, but I was never able to get the grades I "should" have been able to because of being disorganized, distracted and sometimes uninterested.

I think some people might have ADD, but the amount of people that are diagnosed with it. It is much easier to medicate an EP than to learn to accept them and work with, and teach them how to work with, their strengths.

MBTI
    ENFP

I definitely didn't have it growing up and in school. I've had a few concussions over the past several years with ongoing post concussion syndrome and one of the symptoms is a lack of focus. It really sucks because I'll be studying something which used to be no problem for me, but now I can't focus and I have to take several breaks or rush through it. :confused:
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    "ADD" personalities would work perfectly fine in some situations. School just isn't always one of them. I was able to get a mechanical engineering degree, but I was never able to get the grades I "should" have been able to because of being disorganized, distracted and sometimes uninterested.
    No they don't work perfectly fine in most situations. It's defined in the DSM-IV criteria as causing impairment in at least two settings, be it school, the workplace, the home, leisure activities or relationships. Most of us properly diagnosed with ADHD have some degree of trouble in all these areas.

It may manifest differently in different personality types. For example, being an introverted intuitive, my hyperactivity and impulsivity (which not everyone has anyway) are more low-key and less destructive, because although I'm moving constantly and not thinking before acting, my main focus is internal, on my own thoughts, so I don't manipulate the environment as much as a hyperactive extroverted sensor would. Instead, I pace up and down rather than stand, and fidget constantly and rock back and forth or constantly jig my leg when sitting, and get moaned at for bothering people with all this when I'm trying my best to sit and watch TV with the family. Most people do this sort of thing a bit, but not constantly and they can control it easily if they have to, especially as adults.

It's irritating and can be severe enough to make me look disturbed or autistic to strangers, but it's not as trouble-making as someone wanting to pick things up and 'do things' in the environment. As long as my body is moving enough to increase the blood flow and dopamine supply to certain areas of my brain, I don't interfere with objects or people around me apart from playing absent-mindedly with anything easily to hand. It's all about there being any bodily movement at all, and it's usually happening unconsciously anyway, so introverts can easily have the problem too. My main impairment comes from the inattentive half of the symptoms, and in extroverted sensors that might be reversed, because their impulses will be of a different nature. They'll be sensation-seeking and putting themselves in physical danger, whereas my impulsivity just puts me in social and financial danger, because I don't get impulses related to sensation-indulgence. Poor impulse inhibition will look completely different from person to person depending on what kind of impulses that person is getting and failing to think about the consequences of before carrying out.

It does sound like you were misdiagnosed, I'm sure you'll be happy to hear. Or at least if you did have it as a child, you're one of the significant minority of people whose brain development catches up by adulthood, rather than remaining permanently underdeveloped in certain areas. This phenomenon has been demonstrated with brain scans. It's not yet known why some brains catch up and others don't.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I think there are healthy levels of "ADD/ADHD" symptoms, which just mean you're fun or looking for fun in everything. Which, I would think, is a positive.

Quite frankly, it's one of the traits I find most charming about EPs.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I'm an only child. Most EXXP type people are not really meant for the traditional school system-and often not the traditional work environment either-so we often get diagnosed with all types of weird behavioral "problems". Traditional systems predominantly cater to SJs.

The Intuitives (NT Rationals and NF Idealists)

These children tend to be daydreamers, since the abstract for them is quite real.

I believe the Intuitives are proportionally more likely to classified as ADD since ADD is now defined more by inattentiveness than hyperactivity. Intuitives may often appear to be inattentive underachievers with an unusual thinking styles. Read on and see what you think...

"It is, however, the Intuitive child who is most likely to be the one who seems 'different' in an unacceptable way.

"The child with the Intuitive preference may be difficult to handle. He always seems to have a core of "being his own person' which adults sometimes find objectionable and offensive. Because the N child is pulled toward the future and the possible, he may seem uninvolved and inattentive to the present. When the present is a classroom lesson or parental instruction, the Intuitive child can find himself in difficulty. He may seem opinionated to others, the NT in particular, and he often is very certain that he knows; at the same time, he cannot justify his convictions to others' satisfaction when questioned...when the Intuitive child is engaged in chores or lessons, he may lapse into trances, causing his mentors to correct or even nag at him for dawdling."-Temperaments In The Classroom
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

ken robinson mentions interesting point about ADD here..(btw. I'm pretty positive he's ENFP)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFA3K0G2XlA&feature=fvste2"]add[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9OoSHZbBHQ&feature=related"]vid2[/YOUTUBE]

i dont know what ADD is, tbh... seems like most NPs have it.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'd use the term disorder for extreme cases, but yes, there's definately a correlation between attention deficit and Ne, I'd say.