User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Rarely.

I don't think there is such a thing as "self." I really only wonder if I'm doing what I want to be doing right now.

I mean, I occasionally have trouble balancing what other people think is right (Superego), the image of myself I've so far tried to create by my past actions (Ego), and what I'm in the mood for at the moment (Id), but other than that, I don't think I really experience a "self."

Self might simply be an illusion. Or rather, if I must define self, I'd say we're ourselves regardless of what we're doing. There's no such thing as a true self, just more satisfying ways of being. Self is, essentially, the endless process of choice we experience every second we're alive and conscious.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Rarely.

I don't think there is such a thing as "self." I really only wonder if I'm doing what I want to be doing right now.

I mean, I occasionally have trouble balancing what other people think is right (Superego), the image of myself I've so far tried to create by my past actions (Ego), and what I'm in the mood for at the moment (Id), but other than that, I don't think I really experience a "self."
    If you do not believe you are really experiencing yourself, perhaps you have faked it for so long you have lost a sense of your true identity? I have a friend who has done this very thing to himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Self might simply be an illusion. Or rather, if I must define self, I'd say we're ourselves regardless of what we're doing. There's no such thing as a true self, just more satisfying ways of being. Self is, essentially, the endless process of choice we experience every second we're alive and conscious.
    If this is the case why would you choose to affiliate yourself with MBTI and label yourself as an INFJ?

If it were possible to change our inborn spirit/temperament, I imagine millions of self haters would take advantage of this. What makes you who you are is what comes natural or effortless to you. We can choose to act out of character, however this form of being is difficult and exhausting (speaking from experience).
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm not interesting in so much "finding" myself as being "comfortable" with myself. I'm going to constantly change, and learn, and grow. But if I like who I am, right now, I'm doing all that I can do. Like lane777 said, different people bring out different "selves" in you. Some people bring out my extroversion, some people make me quiet and thoughtful, some people make me silly. You know? I bet if you found twenty different people who knew you, they'd all have vastly different ideas of what your "self" is. And that's not a bad thing. It's a good thing.

Iunno, I haven't found myself, but I'm not really looking.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)