• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFP and Exercising

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I cannot focus enough to exercise for longer than a 20 minute period. Even if I listen to music, or watch TV. Any ENFPs (or others) have advice to get me motivated and dedicated? I'm not overweight, I just want to keep myself fit. I wouldn't mind losing 5-10 lbs but since exercising takes such a long time for minimal fast results, I see no point. I wish I could go to the gym for at most 2 hours a day for 3 - 4 times a week or something..

My Ne goes crazy with all the other (and more fun) things I could be doing.
My Fi just is telling me that I do not feel like doing this AT ALL.. which makes me not want to do it more...

I try and convince my Te to get me going, but I don't know much about exercise science so I don't have a list of things or exercises I should do to work out to the best that I could be. And I really have no passion to even research it... haha It's all so boring to me. :(

ANY HELP?? :)

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yes, take a book or something you enjoy reading with you and do that while exercising (elliptical/cycle/treadmill). The sheer efficiency of the process -- working your mind and body at the same time will pull you through.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I tried that, I think running and reading makes me motion sick hahaha i think i'm hopeless

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm the same. What I did was start on bellydance. Even then I had that problem, especially with certain dvds (yes I use dvds). However, I've found some recently that teach the beauty and passion you have to put in your moves as well, which very much keeps me focussed, and nowadyas it's no problem to do an hour or more :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With the ENFPs I've known they can only stay motivated to get some sort of exercise if it pertains to some sort of hobby or interest of theirs. For example, when my ENFP friend went through the skateboarding phase he went from average to really skinny, he was getting a lot of exercise every day just because he liked to skate. But just going to the gym? He has a similar reaction to what you have. There is a gym at his college and he pretty much went once and never went again because he got bored, lol.

So find a hobby that's physical, you'll get in shape since you will be passionate about it.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Can you use the computer while you work out? Stationary biking instead of running might make it easier.

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I tend to set workout goals and work towards them. It might be running a certain speed in a race, losing weight, becoming a better athlete, or (in conjunction with Udog's exercise challenge) running three days a week.

conporans

Great little topic.
-thank you for sharing- for me this makes perfect sense though.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
id work out cus i'd be motivated by playing some sport i love, like baseball or softball

so it would end up i'd have really strong shoulders and upper body, but still flabby abs. lolz

i was probably in the best shape of my life when i was on the boxing team in college. but that was a long time ago...

i just got this ab toner thing though. i just sit here and it does something eletrical to my abs. i'll let u kno how it goes. lolz

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
I love the idea of doing something fun like a sport. I love sports. But what do I do now that it's fall/winter time and FREEZING in the state I live in :( Ahhhh why do i have excuses for EVERYTHING haha

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
I love the idea of doing something fun like a sport. I love sports. But what do I do now that it's fall/winter time and FREEZING in the state I live in :( Ahhhh why do i have excuses for EVERYTHING haha

Play basketball or indoor soccer!

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you going to a gym? Try a class - it feels rude to get up and leave early, especially if you're in the front.
Try cardio outside, so you actually go somewhere when you move, haha. Ride a bike for 20 minutes, and well, then you have to ride back for 20 minutes to get home :cheese:
And I agree - do stuff you like.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I join classes a lot. The entroversion of working with others, and the motivation of having to go so you don't: disappoint people, get a bad grade, etc.. keeps you attending. Once you're already there, the class will keep your attention the entire block of instruction.

Colleges aren't too expensive for CE programs, and you can get financial aid too so you can get paid to go work out even if you were going to anyways :D

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
With the ENFPs I've known they can only stay motivated to get some sort of exercise if it pertains to some sort of hobby or interest of theirs.

Yeah. I do theater and dance. That helps. When I'm not in a show though, I am completely sedentary.

Too bad we can't be fit and in shape by talking.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Yeah. I do theater and dance. That helps. When I'm not in a show though, I am completely sedentary.

Too bad we can't be fit and in shape by talking.

I agree!! I wish i had friends who went to my gym so we could work out together and just catch up! :(

Is this common in ENFPs... if I am working out next to someone (regardless of how fit they are, even especially if they are total strangers) I get competitive with them. If they're jogging at 6.5 I have to bump it to 7. If their resistance is set at 5 I have to move mine to 6. This can't be healthy... anyone know why I do this?

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
2xtremeENFP said:
I agree!! I wish i had friends who went to my gym so we could work out together and just catch up!

Is this common in ENFPs... if I am working out next to someone (regardless of how fit they are, even especially if they are total strangers) I get competitive with them. If they're jogging at 6.5 I have to bump it to 7. If their resistance is set at 5 I have to move mine to 6. This can't be healthy... anyone know why I do this?

Ice skate/play hockey with your friends! That's pretty ENFP. You get to socialize and you don't have the humdrum tedium of workout machines!

And yes, I compete with strangers/friends at the gym because my internal motivation just isn't there :p

Clonester

MBTI Type
ENFP
Isn't it crazy expensive to rent ice in the southern US though? Even in Canada, where there are a lot of rinks, it's expensive to play hockey.

And yes, I compete with strangers/friends at the gym because my internal motivation just isn't there :p

Haha, yes I compete with everyone too. It's probably my biggest motivation factor.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Isn't it crazy expensive to rent ice in the southern US though? Even in Canada, where there are a lot of rinks, it's expensive to play hockey.

Shortly the ponds will have frozen over! Huzzah!:happy2:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I don't like organized sports.

I am extremely active, though, which is completely ironic. I do run track.

I just started working out this fall, now that school has started. We have free unsupervised access to our school's fitness center every gym class, which I have taken advantage of, and worked out for the 45 minutes I have.

I do less and less cardio, running, and biking these days. I have shifted to actually working out. They have a stereo in the fitness center, and the other guys usually play classic rock stations, which I like, so it works out.

But I can't work out when I have friends around. I get side tracked too easily.

pockets

MBTI Type
HUMM
i train with my team-mates. so i can't stop running half-way even if i wanted to, because they won't let me. picture nagging and dragging.
maybe training with SJs and SPs might help. SJs because the idea of quitting shocks them. and SPs keep cajoling/poking me to go even further.
when i was a kid, i kept swimming by imagining that sharks were chasing me :) that's how you spot the Ne's.