User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Well it's certainly more stylish than anyone else who talked about feelings in this thread. If you still can't comprehend it then imagine a guy in the middle of a desert, throat all dry and helplessly crawling on the floor saying that while a shady figure awaits him under a palm tree on an oasis nearby. Should certainly be more stylish now.
    Very stylish indeed.

And then someone insults us. "NOOO!" we say, and explode, leaving a puff of smoke behind.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The question of anonymity and privacy is a difficult one because there are friendships formed here, meet-ups and the whole bit. I edit and delete posts for the sake of maintaining privacy or to try to clarify so someone else doesn't misunderstand my comment.

When I first started on forums a few years ago there were a few times I left confused and uncomfortable by the negativity of a reaction of someone. The times I let it get to me was because their behavior reinforced a larger negative world view I had about people. It just seemed like anywhere you go someone is going to do that same negative thing again. Over the years of interacting online, making friends with some negative people, and watching individuals go through various phases of behavior, I eventually learned that people come to forums with all kinds of things happening in their personal lives that is not evident through the text on the forum. This helped me see that even though I can make a mistake of saying the wrong thing or initiating miscommunication, people are so invested in their own personal realms that negative reactions typically have more to do with the bigger issues in their own lives, or their own negative world views about how others think and act, rather than something I happened to type.

I don't feel hurt by others online or irl when I remember this: "Be kind for everyone you meeting is fighting a hard battle." Plato
    Last edited by labyrinthine; 10-04-2009 at 01:28 PM.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    The question of anonymity and privacy is a difficult one because there are friendships formed here, meet-ups and the whole bit. I edit and delete posts for the sake of maintaining privacy or to try to clarify so someone else doesn't misunderstand my comment.

When I first started on forums a few years ago there were a few times I left confused and uncomfortable by the negativity of a reaction of someone. The times I let it get to me was because their behavior reinforced a larger negative world view I had about people. It just seemed like anywhere you go someone is going to do that same negative thing again. Over the years of interacting online, making friends with some negative people, and watching individuals go through various phases of behavior, I eventually learned that people come to forums with all kinds of things happening in their personal lives that is not evident through the text on the forum. This helped me see that even though I can make a mistake of saying the wrong thing or initiating miscommunication, people are so invested in their own personal realms that negative reactions typically have more to do with the bigger issues in their own lives, or their own negative world views about how others think and act, rather than something I happened to type.

I don't feel hurt by others online or irl when I remember this: "Be kind for everyone you meeting is fighting a hard battle." Plato
    Thanks for that, it's got me thinking.

It's just as much their own interpretation and reaction to what you write, as it is what you write, perhaps.

Interesting.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by souffle View Post
    How mean and negative of you...
    lol call him an asshole, it doesn't hurt to be confrontational especially over the net. I think he was just trying to help you get over your fears.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by souffle View Post
    Yes, an anonymous forum like this is supposed to be, well... anonymous.

No one knows who you are, you're just a random voice coming from somewhere that the readers couldn't really give a stuff about in their own real, personal life.

Yet I still sometimes feel insecure when I post something on here, or any forum.
    (INTJ here, but I get to post if I can relate, right? )

To me it's precisely the fact that the audience is disinterested that renders foruming intimidating. I've never understood the point of view that since no one on a forum knows you or cares about you, their judgment of (you via) your posts means less. In my view it's the other way around: In real life people have all sorts of motivations for engaging and indulging you, but on a forum your contributions are judged entirely on their merits. The reality check of whether people care to respond to your posts and how they receive them brings out any insecurity you might have about what you bring to the table.

I'm reminded of the following passage in The Fountainhead:

He did not smile at his employees, he did not take them out for drinks, he never inquired about their families, their love lives or their church attendance. He responded only to the essence of a man: to his creative capacity. In this office one had to be competent. There were no alternatives, no mitigating considerations. But if a man worked well, he needed nothing else to win his employer's benevolence: it was granted, not as a gift, but as a debt. It was granted, not as affection, but as recognition. It bred an immense feeling of self- respect within every man in that office.
    Incidentally, I feel pretty secure as a forum contributor now, but I definitely had nerves when I first started out. To paraphrase toonia, as you interact with people, eventually you develop a feel for when to take negative feedback personally and when to disregard it because someone is just having a bad life day. For instance, Jennifer was going through a pivotal personal crisis when she thought out loud of duct taping my mouth shut in that intro thread of mine (), whereas I couldn't rationalize the message of my first Nohari chart. (Admittedly I had successfully overheard the message up to the point where I did the charts. I'm INTJ; we can be dense that way!)

(Uh, I guess the first sentence in that last paragraph was the part where I related. )

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Totally can relate. Nanouk and Toonia explained the process beautifully and handed you the solution, imo. It's something I came to realize myself, not too long ago
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah I definitely agree, only now am I straying beyond the bonfire.
    =universal solution

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    lol call him an asshole, it doesn't hurt to be confrontational especially over the net. I think he was just trying to help you get over your fears.
    Who, Edgar? Lol.
    I can't imagine this forum without him.
    The future is for the unafraid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I've found that most people initially came here because of some event or person in their life that they were trying to sort out. Toonia makes a great point. Often their response is more about them and what's they're dealing with than about you.

While it's good to not be fettered by some of the usual factors that we judge people by: sex, age, looks, experiences, etc, sometimes we also are writing a little blind. It is easier to put a person's response into proper context once we understand their experiences, what they are coping with right now, their age, their level of security (or insecurity) and so on.

I've come to appreciate being given the opportunity to see who it is that either misunderstands me or that doesn't seem to hitch with me - often I've found it's more about them and the sum of their experiences. Sometimes we just need longer to interact. Sometimes I need to write more clearly. Sometimes I need to realize that they are interpreting what I say through their own framework and those words may be taken in a hurtful way that I hadn't intended or even thought of. If nothing else, it is a sample of the every day population and how to navigate through the minefields of possible misunderstandings or disagreements that come up. On the internet they are more likely to be expressed than in person, and in a way that's a useful thing.

If there's anything that I've noticed or learned from being here, it is that usually when I feel insulted or hurt by someone's words here, I or they are just missing some important piece of information that puts it into context. Secondly, I've noticed that when there is someone who persistently wants to pick a fight, dealing with it privately, or ignoring it is better and allows you not to get caught up in those negative feelings. Often it is either a misunderstanding of communication styles (I've learned a lot about INTP humour!) or else someone is taking out their edgy, unhappy feelings on whomever happens to be around.