• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Nonverbal ques and body language

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was reading an interesting article the other day about BPD and sensitivity to nonverbal cues, esp. facial expression. I tried to hunt it down via Google, and I was only able to find a similar (though not the same) article: Borderline Empathy Revisited.

Took the facial recognition test mentioned in this article; I got 34/36 and one of them was a snap-decision mistake. XD

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Took the facial recognition test mentioned in this article; I got 34/36 and one of them was a snap-decision mistake. XD
I did fairly well on this, but I suspect only because it was multiple choice. I tried to look at the picture alone first, and decide what I thought was the correct attitude. Most of the time, it was not listed in the choices, but the "correct" choice was the one that stood out among the 4. The problem with all of this is that life is not a multiple choice test. In real situations, it is far too easy to guess wrong. This can be problematic if one then acts upon the incorrect guess.

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
I did fairly well on this, but I suspect only because it was multiple choice. I tried to look at the picture alone first, and decide what I thought was the correct attitude. Most of the time, it was not listed in the choices, but the "correct" choice was the one that stood out among the 4. The problem with all of this is that life is not a multiple choice test. In real situations, it is far too easy to guess wrong. This can be problematic if one then acts upon the incorrect guess.

Yeah, I admit some of the things were way too easy, but I did try to do them by the picture, first. Sometimes I thought it looked more like something else, and sometimes the words used to describe things can be misleading so... I don't know.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sensitive to non-verbals more than words, certainly. I am always looking at people to see if I can gather more meaning from their non-verbal cues. My sensitivity to them is actually hindering sometimes, for example, I often feel lost in conversations on the Internet where there are no non-verbals like intonation or posture or anything like that.

I was talking to a friend just the other day who is ISTP and is very non-specific. His favorite word is "dunno". Were I talking to him face to face, I would know exactly which he was leaning toward when he says that... but I have no idea when he says it with only the written word. He also likes to use "yes" and "no" when there are multiple questions asked, or if there are rhetorical questions added before he's responded... I know that he has a habit of answering rhetorical questions so I have to guess which one he has actually answered. It's kind of awkward when you have to tell them you don't know what they are saying "yes" or "no" about.
If he's anything like me I'm saying 'yes' or 'no' to the last question asked.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't always get all the subleties right but I can tell a good vibe from a bad one. Sometimes I'll have a customer approaching the reference desk who just looks like he or she is going to be difficult to deal with and then my hunch is right. I'm sensitive to peoples' body language, if someone gives off what I perceive as a bad body language vibe, its hard for me to tune it out and its hard for me to feel comfortable conversing with that person.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ

32/36 for me.

I agree. Much of the time it was very obvious which was the correct answer.

I don't always get all the subleties right but I can tell a good vibe from a bad one.

This. I can pick up if it's a positive vibe or a bad one. For one of the sets of eyes that I got completely wrong, I thought he was "anxious" when the correct answer was "hostile".

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
34/36. I mistook flirtatious for hostile. What's the difference?

Fenekk

MBTI Type
INFJ
This. I can pick up if it's a positive vibe or a bad one. For one of the sets of eyes that I got completely wrong, I thought he was "anxious" when the correct answer was "hostile".

I don't remember what the picture was but it was probably about the eyebrows; they would probably be slanted more upward for hostile and more downward for anxious... Assuming you start at the bridge of the nose of course.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I need body language / facial expressions to build a whole. Without it I am lost as to what your intentions might be, and so my Ti will spin / cloud my mind and feed my Fi (with negativity).

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I need body language / facial expressions to build a whole. Without it I am lost as to what your intentions might be, and so my Ti will spin / cloud my mind and feed my Fi (with negativity).
If I want someone to know my intentions, I will tell them plainly. Otherwise, I will keep them to myself, and any assumptions based upon body language, etc. have a good chance of being wrong.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
If I want someone to know my intentions, I will tell them plainly. Otherwise, I will keep them to myself, and any assumptions based upon body language, etc. have a good chance of being wrong.

Yupp, and that's what I don't like. It makes me anxious not knowing what your intentions might be. I don't make solid judgements on what your intentions could be, I just make several possibilities, and I keep my thoughts to myself.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I don't remember what the picture was but it was probably about the eyebrows; they would probably be slanted more upward for hostile and more downward for anxious... Assuming you start at the bridge of the nose of course.

That's what confused me and made me uncertain; I couldn't tell exactly how his eyebrows were slanted. It was an older man with thick, heavy eyebrows. The angle of the photo made it difficult to tell as well.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm sensitive to non-verbals more than words, certainly. I am always looking at people to see if I can gather more meaning from their non-verbal cues. My sensitivity to them is actually hindering sometimes, for example, I often feel lost in conversations on the Internet where there are no non-verbals like intonation or posture or anything like that.

I was talking to a friend just the other day who is ISTP and is very non-specific. His favorite word is "dunno". Were I talking to him face to face, I would know exactly which he was leaning toward when he says that... but I have no idea when he says it with only the written word. He also likes to use "yes" and "no" when there are multiple questions asked, or if there are rhetorical questions added before he's responded... I know that he has a habit of answering rhetorical questions so I have to guess which one he has actually answered. It's kind of awkward when you have to tell them you don't know what they are saying "yes" or "no" about.

I'm probably more sensitive to non-verbal cues vs. words, too, especially facial expressions and eyes.

I have found that the best INFJ-ISTP communication takes place in person, because we read each others' non-verbal cues so well. Having that type of communication going on in addition to talking can be pretty amazing and makes for very intense attachments that can happen quickly, with the INFJ and ISTP then stepping back in shock going, "whoaaa....how did that develop so fast?!"

Last edited:

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
How perceptive of these are you?

Any particular experiences?

Which type is most sensitive to them?

I am very much perceptive on body language and nonverbal cues.
I guess INTx's would be least sensitive to this, but I might be wrong on this...