User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 56

  1. #1
    Senior Member TopherRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    1,273

    Default Are INFPs Non-Religious?

    Are INFPs stereotypically non-religious? It seems to be a trend that most INFPs I've encountered don't have any particular faith...

    So I'll parse this out...

    • Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
    • Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    • Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?
    • Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
    • Do you have a faith? What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?
    I'm curious.
    Love is the point.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Liminality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Not religious here.
    Come along Fool
    A direct hit of the senses you are disconnected
    It's not that it's bad, it's not that it's death
    It's just on the tip of your tongue, and you're so silent

  3. #3
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,003

    Default

    Faith is unrelated to type. I know INFPs who are religious, non religious, and somewhere in between.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  4. #4
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    I don't know what a stereotypical INFP thinks...I've never met one.

    Of the one's I've known, there has been a fairly even split between hardcore athiests and people of faith (including non-Christian spirituality). One woman had very deep religious beliefs that she kept entirely to herself. She never raised the topic with me even once...
    Personally? Agnostic. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

  5. #5
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    I love yes/no questions.

    No.

  6. #6
    man-made neptunesnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
    Yes. I'm an AME but I also attend Quaker services.

    Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    Within the last three years, I've gone to four different churches, and those "sharks" were certainly the reason why I've been wandering around so much. They just take away from the entire experience.

    Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?
    No. There have to be some good ones.

    Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
    No. I like the idea of a community too much.

    What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?
    I just feel it. I can feel that spirit wherever I am. It's a part of me.
    I know my response is very NF, but <shrugs.

  7. #7
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Do you have a faith...
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    ...and attend a place of worship?
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    ...and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    "Sharks" is a bit extreme. I think there are a lot of people secretly (or just politely) being dicks, and a lot of little power-struggles. Basically a lot of people paying far too little attention to what they're supposedly there to do while they're doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    do you believe all churches are that way?
    I dunno. All the big ones, yeah. Any time you get largish groups of people together egos move to the forefront.

  8. #8
    Uniqueorn William K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    One woman had very deep religious beliefs that she kept entirely to herself. She never raised the topic with me even once...
    I think if there is any commonality, that would be it. Discussions about religions tend to get confrontational quickly to me since I live in a country with 4 major ones, and so I've learnt to say "Live and let live". I have my god(s), and you have yours. I'm not going to convert you to my view, and I sure hope you don't intend to convert me to yours.

  9. #9
    Senior Member TopherRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx
    Posts
    1,273

    Default

    Interesting.

    Just responding to William, a little off topic--Personally, I'm not an evangelist. When people come up to me and tell me, "Oh, I had this feeling that I should share Christ with so-and-so, but I chickened out (or I did, but they didn't respond. *shrug* Oh well, I guess I was obedient)...", I just internally roll my eyes--I think people are converted most by seeing Christians being the hands and feet of Christ. There's plenty of His mouth, it's at the pulpit and in the Bible, but we currently live in a culture in the United States (and my guess would be it carries overseas too, but correct me if i'm wrong...) where action speaks far louder than words. Most Christian leaders fail to see that.

    *shrug* Just how I feel about it.
    Love is the point.

  10. #10
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post

    [*]Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
    No.
    [*]Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    Hmm. I believe that, while religious/ethical beliefs are subjective, most religious organizations portray them as objective (god given). To elaborate, people inevitably cherry-pick what they want out of religion. Knowing this, I can conclude that faith is not necessary for developing one's own ethics. I don't think that answers your question, but I felt like saying it anyway.

    When you say that there are too many "sharks in the pool", are you saying that there are too many people who are looking for money in church? Are you saying that religion is becoming a business? Or are you saying that an abundance of people can change the dynamics of a religion, and therefore it is bad? Or something else?

    At the church I went to as a child, I often felt that most of the attendants were there only to socialize, bicker about nonsense, and distract themselves from faith itself.

    [*]Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?[*]Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
    I'm not going to stereotype Christianity as a whole. I've heard of everything from "homosexual marijuana faith based churches" to "homosexual hating YOU'RE ALL GOING TO BURN IN HELL" churches. Kudos for anyone who saw my Religulous allusion.
    [*]Do you have a faith? What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?[/LIST]I'm curious.
    There are too many intuitive leaps in logic when it come to faith. I could delve deeper into the subject, but it would take too long.

    However, I used to be a Christian.

    There are many religious organizations that contribute to society in a good way, and I think that is important. I'm not entirely anti-faith.

    EDIT: I think that INFPs are inclined to seek meaning in everything they see and hear, and that is why they might gravitate towards faith. I love to analyze stories and their meanings as well, however, a more systematic archetype like ISTJ might think that I am making erroneous conclusions from thin air. Therefore, I try to be more logical and self aware when it comes to these matters.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Are INFPs "sexy"?
    By spacecadette in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 480
    Last Post: 04-24-2015, 08:36 AM
  2. [INFP] Are INFP's boring???
    By Scott N Denver in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
  3. [INFP] WHY THE HELL are INFPs so $(% depressed?!
    By Koocoomoo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM
  4. [INFP] Are INFPs Easy to Pick on?
    By Ginkgo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO