• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Are INFPs Non-Religious?

souffle

MBTI Type
INFP
Post deleted by me because the questions it posed were answered by neptunesunset via PM, and it seemed silly to leave my unanswered question hanging around in this forum! Suffice to say, I think neptune and I are of mutual understanding now.

Carry on with the main discussion.

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
* Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
No.
* Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
Visited, but never attended.
* Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?
It's subjective.
* Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
No. I don't see much good in organized religion anyway. That's probably why I don't attend.
* Do you have a faith? What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?
No. It's all in the mind... and anyway there are no concrete facts to prove and disprove God. it's either man made god or god made man... and anyway everyone dies, god doesn't make it any easier does he?

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nope, I'm agnostic. However, I was baptized in a Catholic church and went to a Methodist church during grade school. It's not that I'm against religion, I just feel like, for me, it hampers my ability to think independently. People's beliefs are 100% true for themselves, which is why I don't demand evidence that there is a God.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find the viewpoint interesting that a religion actually hinders your thoughts. I don't go to any church that forces me to think a certain way, rather I choose a church that thinks along the same lines that I do, and where purchase of their particular theology is voluntary in order to be a part of their society (though, once again, our theology has to 80% without any big caveats for me to be a part of that church), and not at all a forced transaction.

Are you saying that somebody's belief in something is more important in some way then it actually existing?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you saying that somebody's belief in something is more important in some way then it actually existing?

That's usually how it works. It's to get that false sense of hope I think.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What does that mean? What is "to get that false sense of hope"? What is "usually how it works"?

I'm not trying to be nitpicky (forgive my Ti), but I just need to be certain on the viewpoinots before I can consider them and possibly comment on them.

Hands Mechanical

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not religious. I was raised as a non-practicing Christian. My parents have firm faith and belief in God but are very tolerant and liberal - pretty much the opposite end of the monotheistic spectrum from fundies. They very rarely went to church or did anything religious, never tried to force it down my throat, although they didn't really have to in the first place. The only manifestation in our house was that we said grace before dinner.

Faith never had much impact on my life, although I believed in God for a while, not having any reason to believe my parents were wrong about it. It didn't affect my life hardly at all - occasionally when stressed out or worried I would pray briefly, but it always felt odd and kind of silly to me, and I'm not sure if I ever really believed in a higher power, but simply assumed I did. When I was 11 or so and the angsty maelstrom of puberty was beginning to rage I began seriously questioning my faith, and I think I probably decided to myself and declared that I was an atheist in the seventh grade sometime.

I don't believe in any God in the religious sense of the term. I think that religion and spirituality is the manifestation of something deeper in the human spirit that reflects our collective, ancient understanding of metaphysics and existence. "God" is really just personification of the universe - of the mere basic fact of existence, as opposed to not. We revere it, respect it, and love it, because of the vastness and complexity of the system, and because we are all intrinsically and inseparably a part of it and thus a part of God and each other - with no true boundaries. Different facets and aspects of this idea (that religion is a deeply symbolic reflection of mankind's [often subconscious] existential state) can be drawn from pretty much any religion. Buddhism seeks to transcend the ego in order to experience the bliss of pure experience, of Being in the present - something that is reflected in philosophy as much as this ancient spiritual system.

This is getting convoluted and I'm sure all of you are thoroughly confused by now, but what I'm trying to say is that I think religion is a deeply meaningful symbolic manifestation of philosophy and the unconscious human understanding of what it truly means for us to exist. Spirituality is important to me, despite being an atheist, but I have no need for faith to fulfill that need. There's plenty else to fill the gaps.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What does that mean? What is "to get that false sense of hope"? What is "usually how it works"?

I'm not trying to be nitpicky (forgive my Ti), but I just need to be certain on the viewpoinots before I can consider them and possibly comment on them.

Fuzz, I'm going to PM you my response so that this thread doesn't get derailed, since it most certainly will turn into a religious debate.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's fine. Anybody who wants to PM me with their responses, feel welcome, and I will put the thread relivant stuff back on here (unless requested otherwise).

I'd also like to point out, that I'm not interested in debate; debate solves nothing. I do want to understand prespectives and I do have questions to further understand the anatomy of those perspectives.

FaithBW

MBTI Type
INFP
Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?

Yes, I'm Muslim and I attend a mosque.

Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?

Well, I am often disappointed in my fellow co-worshippers and find much of the behavior of regular mosque goers to be downright deplorable sometimes but it hasn't driven me away from the mosque.

Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?

I suppose but then I also think that perhaps I have expectations that are too high and this colors my view of other Muslims who attend the mosque.

Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
See above.

What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?

Belief in God just makes sense to me. I do feel a comfort in believing in a benevolent God who cares for us and who has an ultimate plan to help us be better human beings. It helps me to believe that our lives are not in vain, that there is a purpose.

feckn_eejit

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
i feel any religion which states non-believers are doomed is a write off...anything else is cool though i don't follow anything particularly...i do believe in power and energy i can't see/hear/smell/touch/taste, though i don't believe there is one "god". i kinda feel like vibe and karma is imprinted in everything.

rainoneventide

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I find the viewpoint interesting that a religion actually hinders your thoughts. I don't go to any church that forces me to think a certain way, rather I choose a church that thinks along the same lines that I do, and where purchase of their particular theology is voluntary in order to be a part of their society (though, once again, our theology has to 80% without any big caveats for me to be a part of that church), and not at all a forced transaction.

Yeah, choice is definitely important. It's not good if you go to a church because you think it's what you're "supposed" to do or something.

I feel like the majority of people stick with the religion they're raised with, and then it gets so ingrained that they're unwilling to examine the things that don't make sense to them.

I'm taking an Intro. to Judaism course, and I really respect that religion now because I learned that everyone is free to interpret the Torah in their own way without being considered blasphemers. Part of their worship is literally studying and interpreting the Bible. Wish more religions were like that.

Yep, that's basically what I'm saying. Who am I to tell someone God doesn't exist when I'm filtering their religion and values and beliefs through my own bias, y'know.

dcmicrowave

MBTI Type
INFP
ugh... i shouldn't post this.

"civilization cannot achieve perfection until the last stone of the last church falls upon the last priest."

it took me a long time to bridge the conceptual gap between the non-existence of santa claus, and the non-existence of God. God with a capital 'g'. the one that people are always talking about as if they've met him, or read something he wrote, or said. as if he is a real person up on a comfy chair in the clouds.

i DO feel that there is some mysterious *something* binding us all together. i know a few things. it is not a dude. it is not something you can imagine. it is not something you can talk about with any ease (the way church makes people feel they can).

i'm "spiritual". i *feel* it. and so do lots of people. usually they just attribute it to whichever dubious explanation they hear first.

for an infp, it is my belief, that interest in religion is simply mis-attribution of the comfort found in metaphor. i've seen infps treat almost anything as if it were a religious particle.
truth is, people hate choices and would rather choose to invest their premature faith in something they have no real knowledge of --- "BUT MY PARENTS TOLD ME THERE WAS ONE!!!"

this is absurd, and was all the proof i need to know that not all infps are on the same page. when i was catholic (as a kid) i was awesome at it. i knew more than anyone else in my family about the way that stupid club worked. now my family thinks i eat babies for din din. someday i just might. just to prove that jesus isn't the only one with tasty fleshies :)

if you're an infp, and if you never take your focus off some bullshit lie of a truth, then you might get stuck forever. it is my belief that religion is the most difficult, detrimental, and destructive obstacle of the infp since they are so influenced by their environments. culture is a close second. everyone needs to admit that their enjoyment of ANYTHING has nothing to do with what is RIGHT or WRONG. and that even the concept of right and wrong are based on hierarchically organized preferential outcomes. for example, if you are trying to get the planet to die because it is full of pasty, suffering humanoids, then you are doing a *good* job right now by collecting all those redbull cans on your windowsill. congratulate yourself. me, too. who said that people are innately worthwhile? i think we are. but... it's just an assumption we all kind of... um... should probably make. facism is very close at hand when you start talking about these things. that is why it is important to populate the earth with infps. we know what the fuck is happening here, and we won't let shit go too, too bad (unless we believe it's gonna get better afterwards... SEE WHY INFPS SHOULD STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM RELIGION? IT CAUSES US TO BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE NO RESPONSIBILITIES!)

BUT!!!
if you are a pessimistic infp, it could really fuck up your system to lose sight of whatever it is that has convinced you that *not* stealing and killing is a better choice. i mean, do YOU know why it isn't really a good idea to kill each other? i do. and it is vaguely related to spiritualism, but also to mathematics. keenly probability and statistical analysis. hahaha. (did an INFP just say that? perhaps i am mistyped? oh, wait... that sensation is typically INFP, isn't it?) it's a matter of balance. knowing and disseminating the information that people are just animals is the most simple and most effective way to get people to *act* like animals. and we all know how those buggers are. so stupid that we just have to eat them, really. i mean... haha, what kinda fucking creature allows itself to be bested like we've bested the aminals? the ones that actually know their function in this place. that we call, um, earth. or whatever.

haha. point being... we should probably let nature absorb more of our populous than we are comfortable with. so don't be afraid of death. you have no basis for your opinions on it's "goodness" or "badness" in terms of your feelings on your personally perceived existence coming to an end (or not). if you did, we'd all know about it. religion sets up boundaries between humans and the rest of the universe. it is so obviously and simpletonianly incorrect. people have no more value to this planet than honeybees. we, like honeybees (alan watts reference), are part of a single organism that needs us to survive in order to continue expanding, but religion seems to urge us to consider that our physical death isn't necessary. and that we should feel that it is a most certainly unpleasant experience, or that it is something for which we will be "paid back" for in "heaven". these are lies. you can feel whatever you like about anything, really. chances are you aren't going to make many "important" decisions based on religion. but some people do. and we often allow ourselves to forget about how fucking destructive these people have been. for some reason we really think that culture has some infallible memory, when in reality, most people can't even clearly remember what time they should check their fucking oven for badly burnt baked goods. did you know that wedding dresses in western culture weren't always "supposed" to be white? hmm. cultural memory is rather shortlived as far as memory goes. people just look around themselves and say, "yup. that's how shit is. always has been. why do anything differently?"

infps love metaphors. my whole life feels like a novel most of the time. but there is no fucking way that i am going to allow the horridly constructed lies of religion to steal from me the most important realization that i think there is. the endlessly wonderful existence that we all experience is ours to cherish in whatever quantity, intensity, or quality we experience it. it is all motion and it swims in my head like rivers twisting through arid dusty soil. do you know what i mean?

it comes down to allowing yourself to be imperfect for a moment... and then realizing that that moment was an illusion, and that you are not capable of being imperfect. sound nice? i think so.

~d

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
erm, I'm religious (hate hate hate that term though) and I don't feel it conflicts with my personality. Why would it? A lot of the constructs of my faith I have problems with, but the belief itself, and the convictions, no problem.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think a personality type would conflict with religious views either, everyone just finds their own way to it, if they do.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I was raised in a denomination, then ceased identifying with it and became agnostic for quite a while. Now, you could say I'm highly spiritual in a way that precludes all denominations, or which includes slight portions of all of them with quite a bit hefted on. As to how I arrived at it; well, I sought a piece of it and the rest came flooding in. :D