User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Post deleted by me because the questions it posed were answered by neptunesunset via PM, and it seemed silly to leave my unanswered question hanging around in this forum! Suffice to say, I think neptune and I are of mutual understanding now.

Carry on with the main discussion.
    Last edited by souffle; 10-03-2009 at 06:48 PM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

* Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
    No.
    * Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    Visited, but never attended.
    * Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?
    It's subjective.
    * Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
    No. I don't see much good in organized religion anyway. That's probably why I don't attend.
    * Do you have a faith? What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?
    No. It's all in the mind... and anyway there are no concrete facts to prove and disprove God. it's either man made god or god made man... and anyway everyone dies, god doesn't make it any easier does he?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Nope, I'm agnostic. However, I was baptized in a Catholic church and went to a Methodist church during grade school. It's not that I'm against religion, I just feel like, for me, it hampers my ability to think independently. People's beliefs are 100% true for themselves, which is why I don't demand evidence that there is a God.
    "So I say, live and let live. Thatís my motto. Live and let live.
    Anyone who canít go along with that, take him outside and shoot the motherfucker."
    - George Carlin

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

I find the viewpoint interesting that a religion actually hinders your thoughts. I don't go to any church that forces me to think a certain way, rather I choose a church that thinks along the same lines that I do, and where purchase of their particular theology is voluntary in order to be a part of their society (though, once again, our theology has to 80% without any big caveats for me to be a part of that church), and not at all a forced transaction.

Are you saying that somebody's belief in something is more important in some way then it actually existing?
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzcrossed View Post
    Are you saying that somebody's belief in something is more important in some way then it actually existing?
    That's usually how it works. It's to get that false sense of hope I think.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

What does that mean? What is "to get that false sense of hope"? What is "usually how it works"?

I'm not trying to be nitpicky (forgive my Ti), but I just need to be certain on the viewpoinots before I can consider them and possibly comment on them.
    Love is the point.

I'm not religious. I was raised as a non-practicing Christian. My parents have firm faith and belief in God but are very tolerant and liberal - pretty much the opposite end of the monotheistic spectrum from fundies. They very rarely went to church or did anything religious, never tried to force it down my throat, although they didn't really have to in the first place. The only manifestation in our house was that we said grace before dinner.

Faith never had much impact on my life, although I believed in God for a while, not having any reason to believe my parents were wrong about it. It didn't affect my life hardly at all - occasionally when stressed out or worried I would pray briefly, but it always felt odd and kind of silly to me, and I'm not sure if I ever really believed in a higher power, but simply assumed I did. When I was 11 or so and the angsty maelstrom of puberty was beginning to rage I began seriously questioning my faith, and I think I probably decided to myself and declared that I was an atheist in the seventh grade sometime.

I don't believe in any God in the religious sense of the term. I think that religion and spirituality is the manifestation of something deeper in the human spirit that reflects our collective, ancient understanding of metaphysics and existence. "God" is really just personification of the universe - of the mere basic fact of existence, as opposed to not. We revere it, respect it, and love it, because of the vastness and complexity of the system, and because we are all intrinsically and inseparably a part of it and thus a part of God and each other - with no true boundaries. Different facets and aspects of this idea (that religion is a deeply symbolic reflection of mankind's [often subconscious] existential state) can be drawn from pretty much any religion. Buddhism seeks to transcend the ego in order to experience the bliss of pure experience, of Being in the present - something that is reflected in philosophy as much as this ancient spiritual system.

This is getting convoluted and I'm sure all of you are thoroughly confused by now, but what I'm trying to say is that I think religion is a deeply meaningful symbolic manifestation of philosophy and the unconscious human understanding of what it truly means for us to exist. Spirituality is important to me, despite being an atheist, but I have no need for faith to fulfill that need. There's plenty else to fill the gaps.
    oh we will never die
    beside you in time

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

What does that mean? What is "to get that false sense of hope"? What is "usually how it works"?

I'm not trying to be nitpicky (forgive my Ti), but I just need to be certain on the viewpoinots before I can consider them and possibly comment on them.
    Fuzz, I'm going to PM you my response so that this thread doesn't get derailed, since it most certainly will turn into a religious debate.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

That's fine. Anybody who wants to PM me with their responses, feel welcome, and I will put the thread relivant stuff back on here (unless requested otherwise).

I'd also like to point out, that I'm not interested in debate; debate solves nothing. I do want to understand prespectives and I do have questions to further understand the anatomy of those perspectives.
    Love is the point.

MBTI
    INFP

Do you have a faith and attend a place of worship?
    Yes, I'm Muslim and I attend a mosque.

Do you have a faith and used to attend a place of worship, but now feel like there are "too many sharks in the pool" for it to be a good place?
    Well, I am often disappointed in my fellow co-worshippers and find much of the behavior of regular mosque goers to be downright deplorable sometimes but it hasn't driven me away from the mosque.

Last question with, do you believe all churches are that way?
    I suppose but then I also think that perhaps I have expectations that are too high and this colors my view of other Muslims who attend the mosque.

Do you have a faith, but don't believe in organized religion (so you don't attend a place of worship)?
    See above.

What makes you have, or not have, a belief in a higher power of some kind?
    Belief in God just makes sense to me. I do feel a comfort in believing in a benevolent God who cares for us and who has an ultimate plan to help us be better human beings. It helps me to believe that our lives are not in vain, that there is a purpose.