• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ Engineers - Motivation?

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hi everyone :)

So, I'm in the last few months of my engineering degree. The next few weeks are full on and I've hit a brick wall so to speak. Up until this year I really enjoyed this degree, but this year has been one long succession of group meetings and lab work - which use Te and Se, so not the most relaxing..

To top this off, my supervisor is very mercurial. You never know if he'll be in a good temper and the smallest thing throws him off. Also not relaxing.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for motivation? Seem to have flipped into NiFe more deeply due to this - mind wandering off, forgetting details :doh: and spending more time with friends than I should be (love you guys! :hug:). This is fun and I'm not actually stressing (yet), but it isn't the best thing to happen at this point in semester.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
simple answer: warbots

picture.php

So you INFJs even invaded our holy fortress of mechanical engineering now. Why didnt you just asked for a date with an entp, you could have spared yourself a lot of studies :D

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
Warbots! Of course! :wubbie:

Chemical and materials engineering sorry ;) You work for us :devil:

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
What are the terms of the warbots contract? Could we get three to NZ by Monday? :newwink:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Wait I have to go in the hangar and ask Optimus Prime that question... *some minutes pass and a friendly voice implies: please hold the line*

...So I am back and Optimus said he will be finished by the end of next week and if someone should be bothered about it, I should give Optimus his adress and he will test his weapons earlier.

I am sorry about that, Optimus is really bad with deadlines and management issues. We can try luring him to an abandonned village on Monday by chance and after he has leveled the village to the ground and lost his temper we maybe can ask him if its alright now to start some working, but its a risk, its a risk :D

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
:laugh:

*Lures warbots to small village in canyon. They arrive and start firing :spam_laser:*

*Canyon roof shuts, trapping warbots inside. They are promptly reformatted by wireless in order to remove their previous orders. :glasses:*

*Drivers have been previously obtained by bribing Bumblebee :newwink:*

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You think you can trick a fellow engineer like that ? I got redundant failsafes installed for backup programming in a lot of EEPROMs throughout the whole construction. Face your constructor and make your last wish, death is imminent :D

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
:shock:

*Cuts her losses*

Luckily, my life is not one of them. I am far away in an untraceable bunker, in case anything should go wrong :headphne:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Hi everyone :)

So, I'm in the last few months of my engineering degree. The next few weeks are full on and I've hit a brick wall so to speak. Up until this year I really enjoyed this degree, but this year has been one long succession of group meetings and lab work - which use Te and Se, so not the most relaxing..

To top this off, my supervisor is very mercurial. You never know if he'll be in a good temper and the smallest thing throws him off. Also not relaxing.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for motivation? Seem to have flipped into NiFe more deeply due to this - mind wandering off, forgetting details :doh: and spending more time with friends than I should be (love you guys! :hug:). This is fun and I'm not actually stressing (yet), but it isn't the best thing to happen at this point in semester.

Just keep plugging away at it. What's happened is you've probably hit another incline in your learning curve.

After you've plateau'd for a while, hitting that next uphill climb is always a trial of your willpower and dedication to your interest. But the good news is, when you come through this obstacle, you'll find you've learned something new and interesting.

You'll hit walls over and over again throughout your career, just remember that feeling of finally getting over the wall and you'll be able to keep going.

Maybe your brain is also trying to tell you that you need to take a break for a little bit. At least as much as you can with your work load. Just don't try to overwork yourself and enjoy time with your friends before you go back to it full force.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I will say, I think that of all the NF's INFJ's are definitely the best-suited to engineering or other science or technical work. I think ENFJ's are probably the worst-suited [INFP's can masquerade as INTP's, ENFP's can go into Ne-brainstorming mode and might make good leaders and other social jobs/positions].

For me, I like using/playing with technical equipment. We get to make things, and understand how they work. I'd rather read the upanishads or hike on a mountain now mind you, but if you gotta work [which almost everyone does] at least we get to play with cool stuff, get well-compensated for our time, and don't generally have customers yelling at us. On the other side, its definitely not personal [IME] and it definitely doesn't provide emotional fulfillment [IME], AND you gotta work with a lot of I_T_, NT, TJ personalities, and you'll probably be the only NF around at all.

Drezoryx

MBTI Type
ENTp
^really? tech always came easy to me. cars or computers, i believe Pink was a mechanic too. I was incharge of web designing at school and put up its first website back in 2000. was in top 5 video gamers n the city for 1999 and 1998. did well on math. and ofcourse tech support for family and friends, always the person to call in emergencies.

was in compp science too for a while before deciding that my type would be wasted in it. not that i couldnt handle it, just that my type would be wasted in front of the comp 24/7

this might sound a tad arrogant sorry for that :) its just how i thought back then and now too. and member of technet msdn ieee from 2004 onwards till now. officially testing windows vista/win 7/BDD/office 2010 TP.. so on.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
^really? tech always came easy to me. cars or computers, i believe Pink was a mechanic too. I was incharge of web designing at school and put up its first website back in 2000. was in top 5 video gamers n the city for 1999 and 1998. did well on math. and ofcourse tech support for family and friends, always the person to call in emergencies.

was in compp science too for a while before deciding that my type would be wasted in it. not that i couldnt handle it, just that my type would be wasted in front of the comp 24/7

this might sound a tad arrogant sorry for that :) its just how i thought back then and now too. and member of technet msdn ieee from 2004 onwards till now. officially testing windows vista/win 7/BDD/office 2010 TP.. so on.

ENFJ's tend to inclined towards social things, and to a lesser extent things that aren't super-technical, or at least that is my understanding. My higher education background is physics, whereupon I met zero ENFJ's [1 ENFP, 1 INFJ, zero other INFP's]. I could see something like teaching math as far more interesting to an ENFJ. Also, physics grad school was very much spending lots of time on technical hard questions. Thank goodness I only had one of these profs, but I definitely heard second hand stories of things like "If your not doing homework everyday until midnight then you aren't REALLY studying physics", my prof literally said "You should spend every free minute of your life studying quantum mechanics, because that is what it takes to really understand it." Much research is done alone, staring at technical equipment, and then NTJ -social get togethers, which IME involved topics like "people are so stupid, they should all just die" and "life isn't worth living [person], so just kill yourself now". Hardly factors that an ENFJ would enjoy... BUt that is just my experience, and with physics, ymmv...

In short, of what I've seen, much technical work is done alone, with technical equipment, and occasional social interaction with I_T_/NT/TJ types. I can't imagine any of those things serving as draws in general for ENFJ's... Now technical teamlead or customer interface, I could see that though

Sad Lounge

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
?
You're an INFJ. What are you doing as an engineer? Everybody knows that INFJs are born counselors ;) Leave engineering to the ISTPs, INTPs, or INTJs.

"Do as you're told! (unless told otherwise)"

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You're an INFJ. What are you doing as an engineer? Everybody knows that INFJs are born counselors ;) Leave engineering to the ISTPs, INTPs, or INTJs.

"Do as you're told! (unless told otherwise)"

IME: [in order of frequency]INTJ, ISTJ, INTP, ENTJ, ENTP, ESTJ, ISTP,

few/none: ESTP, ESF_, ISF_, ENF_, INF_

AdamBede

MBTI Type
INFJ
I had the same thing happen with the project I was working on: as deadlines approached, procrastination skyrocketed and motivation hit an all time low. Although I can't say I've mastered this (here I am procrastinating again when I need to write a report up tonight :thumbdown:), I got through the last days of the project by dedicating the work to other people I know. For example, I knew my parents would be having a look at the final product during the exhibition day and I wanted to make them proud. I also wanted to make sure my project partner got the best mark possible. I'm not sure if this is an INFJ approach, but it seemed to work for me. I remember feeling pretty lousy during the project time, but there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
I had the same thing happen with the project I was working on: as deadlines approached, procrastination skyrocketed and motivation hit an all time low. Although I can't say I've mastered this (here I am procrastinating again when I need to write a report up tonight :thumbdown:), I got through the last days of the project by dedicating the work to other people I know. For example, I knew my parents would be having a look at the final product during the exhibition day and I wanted to make them proud. I also wanted to make sure my project partner got the best mark possible. I'm not sure if this is an INFJ approach, but it seemed to work for me. I remember feeling pretty lousy during the project time, but there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

Aww. Thank you sweetie :hug: This is very useful :)

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
After you've plateau'd for a while, hitting that next uphill climb is always a trial of your willpower and dedication to your interest. But the good news is, when you come through this obstacle, you'll find you've learned something new and interesting.

This makes sense :) Thanks. Lots of project work going on at the moment. I suppose that's what an engineering career is though :cheese:

Fife

MBTI Type
INFJ
For me, I like using/playing with technical equipment. We get to make things, and understand how they work.

*Nods* It all feels worthwhile when you go on a plant tour and see the 60m tall spray tower :D

Ed: Or molten metal <--