• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni Activities

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I used to think I was good at exercising my Ni, but now I think I need your help. What are Ni activities? What can I do to build on this very grounding and indecisive part of me?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Doodling and/or staring at a wall.

EDIT: Oh, uh, but seriously. Engage your imagination, day dream, that kind of thing.

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ yup. also, doing the above while in a crowded room.
free form writing, too..don't let the pen stop moving and dont think about what you're trying to produce, just make something happen. stream of consciousness.

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mmm...not more to it than that, huh?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doodling and/or staring at a wall.

:laugh: This is funny, because someone just teased me the other day when we were chatting and I was telling him about my day and how at one point I was just sitting in my armchair with sunlight falling on me, just contemplating/musing about stuff for like 45 minutes...basically, doing nothing...and he was like, "What, are you like 60 or something?" ;)

Ni activities. Hmm. Ni and 'activity' don't really go together. ha. But....hmm. Let me ponder for a bit and I might get back to you with something constructive.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
:laugh: This is funny, because someone just teased me the other day when we were chatting and I was telling him about my day and how at one point I was just sitting in my armchair with sunlight falling on me, just contemplating/musing about stuff for like 45 minutes...basically, doing nothing...and he was like, "What, are you like 60 or something?" ;)

:rofl1: Yes! I used to be under the impression I was the most boring person in the world! People would be sharing stories about skiing and partying and whatnot, and I'd just be like... "Oh, um. I sat on a hill for about 2 hours. And then I thought of a new soup recipe."

Mmm...not more to it than that, huh?
Well, I suppose if you wanted somefin' meatier and to engage your T as well, you could solve pattern problems...Oh! Go take some multiple choice tests on topics you don't know anything about :D

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:rofl1: Yes! I used to be under the impression I was the most boring person in the world! People would be sharing stories about skiing and partying and whatnot, and I'd just be like... "Oh, um. I sat on a hill for about 2 hours. And then I thought of a new soup recipe."

Ha!! Yes, totally. And it's like I'm somewhat 'proud' of myself when I actually have tangible activities I can talk about!!! Like..."Ha, see, I don't just sit around and have nothing to show for my day! I actually DID this, and this...."

Well, I suppose if you wanted somefin' meatier and to engage your T as well, you could solve pattern problems...Oh! Go take some multiple choice tests on topics you don't know anything about :D

Yes, the only things I can come up with -- which I do happen to enjoy -- are a combo of N and T. Pattern problems, logic puzzles, Freecell (ha!! Actually Freecell takes a fair amount of skill/strategy), some of those group board games such as Settlers of Catan (or things like that) that would utilize more Ni/T.....

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In-depth writing exercises that force you to mine a certain subject to pieces.
Also, grabbing your own butt in public.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I love figuring out riddles. I'm guessing it's an Ni activity.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In-depth writing exercises that force you to mine a certain subject to pieces.

Yes, you've just reminded me of when my Ni is most evident - externally - and that would be when I do vast amounts of writing, and when it's through the *process* of writing that my ideas begin to take shape and it doesn't matter how many tangents there are - I mean, Ni by nature is going to be pretty complex, windy, and convoluted - but eventually, the more you write, the more the convolutions form a pattern, and you realize all of it is in fact interconnected, and each piece is quite necessary to the whole. The absence of one of those tangents deflates the whole, and it becomes fragmented.

If any of that made sense.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

Not true!

Well...maybe. Other things Ni-users enjoy include wandering around in a dream-like stupor, spouting conspiracy theories, and plotting the downfall of the waitress who served your coffee cold.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well...maybe. Other things Ni-users enjoy include wandering around in a dream-like stupor, spouting conspiracy theories, and plotting the downfall of the waitress who served your coffee cold.
A nice classic example could be found in a thread, now in the graveyard.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ni: What is my own way of seeing things, independent of influences such as other people's ideas, other people's expectations, my culture, my language, or reality itself?

Introverted functions are going with your ideas,thoughts, etc without worrying about how others think, feel, etc.

Not true!

Sounds like Lenores tertiary Ni. "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man"

Here is something from lenore about using Ni as opposed to Se.

The Secondary Function would say: "What is really dangerous here and what's just a paper tiger? What are some options you haven't considered yet only because the current way appears--falsely--to be necessarily so?"

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I expected my Ni to help ground my Fe, not take me off on another tangical line. Though I love tangical lines and I like hearing what Ni is thinking...drives me nuts when a Ni lead is drifting and I see those wheels turning...

Bah. *shakes off daydream*

Okay, so what else does Ni do?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Introverted functions are going with your ideas,thoughts, etc without worrying about how others think, feel, etc.
Oooh yes, good point. Fuzz, forget about your Fe. Do something really weird that people around you won't approve of :D (may I recommend that the next time you eat, you do it in your underwear, wearing a Greek fisherman's cap and musing on the writings of Bertrand Russell?).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I expected my Ni to help ground my Fe

:laugh: ;)

Seriously, though, Ni might 'ground' your Fe in the sense that you may let go of Fe a bit. What I mean is...Ni ideas can often oppose what Fe is supposed to be about...so it can be an interesting predicament. The two can definitely go hand in hand, don't get me wrong...but at times Ni/Ti thoughts oppose what Fe would have you do.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh: ;)

Seriously, though, Ni might 'ground' your Fe in the sense that you may let go of Fe a bit. What I mean is...Ni ideas can often oppose what Fe is supposed to be about...so it can be an interesting predicament. The two can definitely go hand in hand, don't get me wrong...but at times Ni/Ti thoughts oppose what Fe would have you do.

Lol, Ni/Ti completely oppose Fe in terms of what "society" thinks,feels, etc.

ENFJ response to ISTP - "I wish you cared what others think of you"

ISTP reponse - If I dont care about them, I dont care what they think about me.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cascade has it. Ni can be engaged in exactly such a manner. Like "Slaughterhouse Five" in your mind.

Not true!

What if I grabbed *your* butt in public? That's *clearly* engaging Ni.

Hand -- grab -- butt -- Ni owner being grabbed

Scientific really.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
What if I grabbed *your* butt in public? That's *clearly* engaging Ni.

Hand -- grab -- butt -- Ni owner being grabbed

Scientific really.

Ahaha. Pink, stop making excuses to grab people's butts!

Though if we think about it, the hand reaches out, cleaving personal boundaries, changing the entire dynamic. Is it a symbol of appreciation? Playfulness? Sexuality? Aggression?

*ritually disembowels self for musing on the symbolism behind groping*

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ahaha. Pink, stop making excuses to grab people's butts!

I don't NEED an excuse! I'm a REBEL (and stuff)!

Though if we think about it, the hand reaches out, cleaving personal boundaries, changing the entire dynamic. Is it a symbol of appreciation? Playfulness? Sexuality? Aggression?

*ritually disembowels self for musing on the symbolism behind groping*

Your Ni is voluptuous and shiny.